Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

i was away on vacation for a week and it rained biblical proportions at home. i opened up the Vanagon and took a look around and found wetness in the carpet under the rear seat and along the rear sill between the engine cover and rear door.

i examined the rear and believe the seal for the rear door is past it and needs replaced. under the rear seat had me confused. the Vanagon is parked nose up in my sloped driveway. i thought that maybe the slider seal was leaking and the carpet wicked it up and evaporated in the open area but not from under the rear seat...

the next day i discovered the cause... i have an opened jug of coolant and this sealed jug under the seat. this one is sweating and thus the cause of the wetness...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

very bizarre.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Isn’t physics fun! Very Happy

I work as a plumber is soggy SE Alaska and I can’t tell you how many times I’ved saved folks a house call when they call to have me stop in to fix a leak “from somewhere” that wasn’t there before. 90% of the time it’s been warm, temps dropped and presto, their utility room is an insta water maker.

By the way, your fuel tank can do the same thing but on the inside (when it’s not full).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Can the water tank do the same thing?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Just an FYI, when we get the Biblical rain that puts Philly under 600' of water, my home near Reading (which overlooks the Schuykill River Valley) will be valuable water front property! 😂😳

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Sure. Any cool object with a fair amount of thermal mass and warm, moist air around it can be the recipient of moisture from the air when the temperature in that air drops below the dew point. The exterior walls of the van can do the same thing also, especially behind the fridge in a westy due to the natural convection current pulling the moist warm air behind the cabinet where it cools, deposits moisture, and exits under the fridge pulling more warmer and moisture laden air in. I believe that is a greater cause of the typical behind-the-kitchen seam rust than leaky utility boxes.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

That thread title made me wonder if this was Shart Week
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

your distributor can do this on the inside..

had a couple cars run afoul after a cool night to warm humid day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

ok, after thinking about this some more, the sweating jug is sealed, the non-sweating jug is not.

i think what is happening is the sealed jug is acting as a pressure vessel and the coolant is doing it's thing under pressure.

yes, good ol' science.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Sure. Any cool object with a fair amount of thermal mass and warm, moist air around it can be the recipient of moisture from the air when the temperature in that air drops below the dew point. The exterior walls of the van can do the same thing also, especially behind the fridge in a westy due to the natural convection current pulling the moist warm air behind the cabinet where it cools, deposits moisture, and exits under the fridge pulling more warmer and moisture laden air in. I believe that is a greater cause of the typical behind-the-kitchen seam rust than leaky utility boxes.

i think this is spot on for the cause of the galley side rot - the insulation captures the moisture and gravity does it's thing. no air movement on that side in the interior unlike a regular vanagon to dry it out = swamp.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Isn’t physics fun! Very Happy

I work as a plumber is soggy SE Alaska and I can’t tell you how many times I’ved saved folks a house call when they call to have me stop in to fix a leak “from somewhere” that wasn’t there before. 90% of the time it’s been warm, temps dropped and presto, their utility room is an insta water maker.

By the way, your fuel tank can do the same thing but on the inside (when it’s not full).

FWIW, when I built my first house I buried the supply pipe along the side of the house right under the drip edge. Since the water dripping off the roof cooled the ground under the drip edge quickly in the fall and kept it cold for longer in the spring, I found that the water entering the house was cooler than it would have been otherwise and I got more condensation than I had found other houses I was familiar with. In later homes I have built or done extensive remodeling to I have learned to bring the water under the drip line at a right angle and to insulate the pipe from the house outward for six feet so the cold drip doesn't cool the entering water as much.

I realize that everyone conditions are different so what I experience in mild drippy Oregon might not apply all that well to coastal Alaska.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

I have wetness on my drivers seat and it’s warm. How can I get relief from this?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I have wetness on my drivers seat and it’s warm. How can I get relief from this?

depends, how wet Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

i started this thread mostly because i've been reading WAY too many doom and gloom scenario threads. any hint of something potentially disastrous i have read has me in detective mode...

that and don't want to find any more issue that need immediate remedy, i bought this Vanagon to enjoy driving and camping in. looking for way more miles with smiles and less on blocks in the yard out back...

it's nice to see i can remove a cause of trouble without spending a dime.

BiWerks Design, LLC
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Abscate wrote:

depends Laughing

Fixed it.

— Colin Chapman
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Abscate wrote:

depends Laughing

Fixed it.

i was going for subtle.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Abscate wrote:

depends Laughing

Fixed it.

LOL!!! Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
E1 wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Abscate wrote:

depends Laughing

Fixed it.

i was going for subtle.

..and it was appreciated !!

Laughing
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Abscate wrote:

depends Laughing

Fixed it.

Getting fixed solves a different issue...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Getting fixed solves a different issue...

def not for the DIY'er!

in other news... just got my first VC cookie along with some fuel lines.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: wetness under rear seat - cause discovered and i'm baffled Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rb13ksYO0s

Not enough reggae is your problem. Sure of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: