Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha Reply with quote

So, long, long, long, story short.
The guy I bought my bug off of gave me a bunch of motor stuff. Then I started hoarding random stuff and it’s been sitting while I built my bug.
Then a friend said his dad had an almost complete dp motor for sale for $400 so I put it in my bug now and it runs really nice but stock-that’s not a bad thing!
I got thinking about the spare stuff I have and wanna put a “spare” together.
Going out in the shed now to see what I’ve hoarded.
Ok, holy crap...more than I thought! Where the he!! do I start man!!??
Any suggestions?
I’ve got an AE case with internals (not sure what) and a no-name case (guess it’s a single port case with internals-not sure what) with rods, pistons, etc.
No name case-bottom 3 pictures show the back and internals
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gen stand, wires, etc...

Retainers, springs, valves

Cylinders

DP head

DP head

Bus bellhousing? Cool! For mounting on my motor stand!!

AE case

AE case with internals (not sure what though)

SVDA distributor

SP tins, intake manifold, cylinders, rods, sp heads

Dp intake manifolds, air cleaner, autostick oil pump!!!

Ummmmm......yeah. ???

Distributors! Holy crap Batman!?

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha Reply with quote

I love the way the guy cut the tranny bell housing for use as a out of the engine starter. Drilled holes close then broke thru. Old School !! But even for a Sawsall it would be tough. Ha.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha Reply with quote

Really? A bellhousing? I thought it was a shark!?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha Reply with quote

OMG!!! really? no name cases? for gods sake give them a name!!! larry moe currly bob, it dosent matter but they need names, then they can start clocking in and pulling their weight. how else can you build one when they all looks the same.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough spare parts to build another motor!! (Pic heavy bro) haha Reply with quote

67 Sunroof, spend a few $ at the dollar store for some supplies so that you can make an organized effort to tear the engines down, clean, measure and inpect the components. Definitely assign "names" to the engines to keep them apart. As easy as A-B-C or funny as Moe, Larry, Curly or Tom, Dick, Harry (name of the 3 escape tunnels in "The Great Escape"). Buy baggies of various sizes, a few plastic storage bins the size of shoeboxes, a paint marking pen, and permanent marker.

Tear down the first engine. Label all the loose items per the engine's name using the paint or permanent markers. Keep every single nut/bolt from that engine. Write down the size of the cylinder head bolts, which will be either 8 or 10mm. Write down if the engine case has case savers already.

Take the crankshaft out, remove the connecting rods, and mark each rod with the piston position #1 thru 4. Then refer to a repair manual and measure your crank's bearing surfaces so you can determine if the journals are still uncut or have already been cut undersize. Once you remove the main and rod bearings, look on the back surface in case there are markings as to the sizes.

Then clean everything off with solvent in a 5-gallon HW store bucket, and grease the bare steel so it does not rust.

Do this to each engine, the heads, and the pistons/cylinders. Check the pistons for ring land wear using a feeler gauge, and write the values down.

Do you have a pair of those DP heads? The one you show looks to be new Very Happy .

You can build a basic engine for very cheap, if the pistons and cylinders are usable even if at the upper end of the wear tolerances. Check the cleaned-up SP heads for cracks in the combustion chamber. If none seen, they can be used again after some prep work.

Are you considering spending some bucks (~$500 to $1000) to build a slightly more powerful engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: