Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

That horrible stink is the bowels of the Split owners who dumped their 401ks as an 'investment' realizing they just got short-sold
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Whilst I was looking through some of my old posts, I came acrss the following related topic thread:

International > New Type 2 VW from Brazil

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123051

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Murphy's Law states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong! Crying or Very sad

The corollary to Murphy's law is that Murphy was an optimist! Rolling Eyes

The key to living in Murphy's world without going crazy, is to anticipate what could possibly go wrong and then be prepared for it to happen. In other words, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

NASkeet wrote:
Whilst I was looking through some of my old posts, I came acrss the following related topic thread:

International > New Type 2 VW from Brazil

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123051

Hey Nigel, thanks for the the reminder about Murphys law, and also for sharing that other thread, it never hurts to know more.

Now for another update, my 2 buses have passed all customs clearances, been unloaded from the container, and are sitting at a Warehouse just outside Vancouver waiting for a flat deck truck to pick them up tomorrow. This will be the final stage of their journey all the way to Edmonton, Alberta.

When they arrive it will already be cold outside so the next question is- block heater or oil pan heater? any preferences? I am looking at starting these Buses at a maximum of -10*C (-23F) before they go into storage(or are sold).
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

I think if you're only going to start it once or twice in those temps, I wouldn't worry too much about a heater.

That said, I do like to use block heaters when possible. (both my water cooled VWs have them, the air cooled ones don't right now.) I like how the car's heater works nearly instantly, and that it is easier on the motor for starting in cold temps.

I don't think there are many options besides one that mounts to the underside of the block for an air cooled VW. I guess there are dipstick-replacement heaters. I think I'd go for the kind that mount under the block, as it'll warm both the block and the oil.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I think if you're only going to start it once or twice in those temps, I wouldn't worry too much about a heater.

That said, I do like to use block heaters when possible. (both my water cooled VWs have them, the air cooled ones don't right now.) I like how the car's heater works nearly instantly, and that it is easier on the motor for starting in cold temps.

I don't think there are many options besides one that mounts to the underside of the block for an air cooled VW. I guess there are dipstick-replacement heaters. I think I'd go for the kind that mount under the block, as it'll warm both the block and the oil.

Whilst I was on holiday in Sweden in mid-1982, I recall seeing some 240V mains-electric immersion heaters for the engine oil, which replace the circular steel plates on the bottom of VW Type 1 & 4 engine crankcases.

The following items are currently listed on British Ebay, but I am not sure for which models of VW they intended!?!

Volkswagon Oil Sump Heater V1403 8900108 200 Watts 120 volts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Oil-Sump-Hea...:rk:2:pf:0

New in original package. This item was from an old auto parts store that closed. Item has been stored. Please see photos of actual item you will receive.

Volkswagen Bug Oil Sump Heater Cold Weather Part (B3R) Montgomery Wards

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Bug-Oil-Sump...:rk:4:pf:0

Phillips Zerostart Volkswagen Oil Sump Heater V1403 890-0108 150 Watts 120 Volt

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phillips-Zerostart-Volk...:rk:5:pf:0

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the oil heaters!

Now for a few pictures of another project, I have been working on getting the next 2 buses to send. I am going to try and build two modern Westfalia style campers, kind of like those Danbury campers they have in the UK. Here's the first one, already in the paint booth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will have to sell the other 2 I have sent in order to fund this project, lets see how it goes. If anyone has any suggestions on what to include or not include in these campers, don't hesitate to comment. I am sure that this will be a big project.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Hello Canadian,
Did Brazil make any factory highroof busses there?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

I use a Kat’s sump heater. I usually plug it in about an hour before I need to leave in the cold weather. My engine really likes this, it cranks fast and warms up fast once started, producing cabin heat quickly. I do have working flaps too.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
DannyJ5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Dude- this is one of the best threads I have read in a long time on here- thank you.
Keep the stuff coming. I'm checking this every day for updates now. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

There are, or at least were, special after-market elevating roofs available in Great Britain, for the Brazilian built 1997~2015 "bay-window" VW Type 2; including one of Westfalia style.

Nigel A. Skeet

The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Hello Canadian,

Yes, sort of. In the late 1970s and early 1980s Karmann Ghia produced a hightop version in limited quantities. You can, occasionally, find them for sale today. And for quite cheap as they are not considered desirable.

Here's a picture from an ad where I saw one for sale a few months ago, which initially piqued my interest and led me to do some research on them.

The top bumps up the overall vehicle height to 2.36m and according to the ads from that era, gives the Kombi 30% more storage space, and an interior height of 1.86m.

Heres a few pictures from the original Brochure

It debuted as an ambulance as you can see here:

And here is modernized one which someone has turned into a camper

I'm still not sold on the top, it looks boxy and doesn't suit the original lines of a Type 2. Still pretty cool though.
The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I use a Kat’s sump heater. I usually plug it in about an hour before I need to leave in the cold weather. My engine really likes this, it cranks fast and warms up fast once started, producing cabin heat quickly. I do have working flaps too.

Thanks, I will look it up.

DannyJ5150 wrote:
Dude- this is one of the best threads I have read in a long time on here- thank you.
Keep the stuff coming. I'm checking this every day for updates now. Cool

Glad you are enjoying the updates, I am enjoying doing the research. Cool

NASkeet wrote:
There are, or at least were, special after-market elevating roofs available in Great Britain, for the Brazilian built 1997~2015 "bay-window" VW Type 2; including one of Westfalia style.

Yes, I believe there are 2 companies which make a top for a modern Brazilian bus. However I have found a solution for this right here in Brazil, more to come on this once I finish writing a post about it.

Lastly, yesterday afternoon my 2 buses finally arrived in Edmonton, Alberta! Success!! Very Happy
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Sweet! Must be a relief that they've landed at home! They look great, especially the white one. Hope that brings an end to all the major headaches!

Are the Brazilian mirrors like on the blue bus readily/easily available? They're on the order of $90USD per side up here, but someone had seen them for ~$40USD for a pair from a Brazilian site. Interested if you did happen to toss a set or two in your next export buses.

Good luck with your conversions! Paint is looking sweet!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

The Canadian wrote:
Gruppe B wrote:
Hello Canadian,

Yes, sort of. In the late 1970s and early 1980s Karmann Ghia produced a hightop version in limited quantities. You can, occasionally, find them for sale today. And for quite cheap as they are not considered desirable.

Here's a picture from an ad where I saw one for sale a few months ago, which initially piqued my interest and led me to do some research on them.

The top bumps up the overall vehicle height to 2.36m and according to the ads from that era, gives the Kombi 30% more storage space, and an interior height of 1.86m.

Heres a few pictures from the original Brochure

It debuted as an ambulance as you can see here:

And here is modernized one which someone has turned into a camper

I'm still not sold on the top, it looks boxy and doesn't suit the original lines of a Type 2. Still pretty cool though.

A similar style of roof (possibly not as high) was used on Mercedes and VW motorcaravan conversions by Bariban. I think the were a German company, but I am not sure.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
In Great Britain, there is also a forum for owners of imported Brazilian built, 1997~2005 "bay-window" air-cooled VW 1600 Type 2s and 2005~2015 "bay-window" water-cooled VW 1400 Type 2s.

http://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/

I see you decided to participate in the British Brazilian VW Bay forum:

brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays :: The Canadian says Hello

http://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/t6633-the-can...5592582818

There are probably more of these Brazilian built, 1997~2015, "bay-window" VW Type 2s in Great Britain, than there are in the whole of Canada, USA and Europe combined!

If you do a search of British VW campervan hire (i.e. rental) companies, you will find quite a few that use campervans based upon these vehicles. There is even one on Canvey Island (small island in the River Thames estuary, about 50 km east of London) where I live.

One of these hired campervans also appeared, driven by Ellie Harrison, on an edition of the BBC Countryfile TV programme, on the Isle of Wight. It's probable that it was hired from the local campervan hire company on the Isle of Wight, which I know have a few of these vehicles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04p238g

Nigel A. Skeet

The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Time to Revive this thread after a 5 month hiatus!

Those first two buses which I brought into Canada are finally through the Out of Province inspection and registered in Alberta! The 2002 blue bus has already sold:

And the 1991 White Bus is currently for sale:

I'm just finishing this 2002 Green bus right now, its heading North soon!

Currently have 3 other Bus projects on the go at the moment as well, more info to come...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Here are the details to which I found a link in the latest issue of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine:

Space Roofs
Unit 2B
Fatherford Farm Industrial Estate
Okehampton
EX20 1QQ
England

Mobile Telephone: +44 (0) 7970 868 059

e-mail: [email protected]

https://www.spaceroofs.co.uk/index.htm

https://www.spaceroofs.co.uk/index.htm

https://www.spaceroofs.co.uk/type-2-brazilian-poptop-roof.htm

https://www.spaceroofs.co.uk/gallery.php

Nigel A. Skeet

The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Time to resurrect this thread for another update. I have been busy down here in Sao Paulo learning and building.

After many delays this model year 2002 bus was finally finished in order to ship to Quebec.

I also bought another bus to ship with it, this time a split window which I though I had picked up for a great price but I ended up getting ripped off big time. I spent 4 months with it torn apart, we ended up having to fix the frame(the engine cradle was bent and had a shoddy hidden repair), replace the front floor and floor supports, do a bunch of engine work, fix the rear door and rear quarters which were full of bondo, properly set the rear suspension, put proper seat belts in it, and replace every piece of glass(Brazilian glass is not DOT approved)
Now it is in much better shape, and I can ship it with a clean conscience.

Here’s the buses getting loaded up in the container:

And here they are after my buddy(the buyer) picked them up in Quebec. Cool

Both of these buses managed to pass the Out of Province inspection in Quebec on the first try!! I think I might be getting better at this. Very Happy

I also have another two modern bay window buses that are finished, more to come on those soon…

If you guys have any questions about Brazilian buses feel free to ask, I am learning a lot down here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Excellent. Why oh why did they fill their ad with ugly men with the “ much better choices” in Brazil?
The Canadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Living in Brazil and Hunting Type 2s Reply with quote

Buying a Bus at an Auction in Brazil

I have found that there are some pretty interesting auctions going on here, and in February I was browsing online when I came across an Auction being put on by the Tribunal de Justiça de Sao Paulo(the Sao Paulo Court of Justice). They were selling their fleet of 16 Kombi vans which had been used to shuttle their workers around the city of Sao Paulo. All the buses were model year 2003, which was just what I was looking for!

After reading through the auction rules and making liberal use of google translate, I was ready to make an online bid. I never actually went to see the buses in person, so I was buying based off photos alone(and there was only 3…)

Of the 16 I identified 3 buses with extremely low miles, and ended up buying the one with the lowest of them all (only 47000kms!!)

After the auction it took them two months(!!!) to do the paperwork so it was ready for me to pick up. Finally the day arrived and I drove across town to see what I bought. Unfortunately when I picked it up there was a lot going on so I didn’t take pics, but I do have pics from a day later.

The day after I bought it, I drove it a short distance to get a quote from my upholstery guy for a new interior. While the bus was parked outside a truck backed into me and pushed in the front… I was not impressed.
Of course the guy had no insurance and gave me every excuse in the book. I ended up getting about $30 out of him, I’m sure that will cover it(not)

Next I brought it to a few paint shops to get some quotes, I got a good recommendation from a friend for a shop that does good work for a reasonable price(if you pay too cheap down here you will get terrible quality of work, just like anywhere in the world I suppose).

So here we go, I stripped out the interior, and the Bus spent a month at the paint shop, first step was to remove the dents, then they removed all the glass and the doors, lights, etc. then painted the roof white, followed by painting the bottom blue and then the middle/window area white. We also touched up many areas inside the bus and repainted the cab floor, as well as the wheels and bumpers.

Removing the dent...

Skim of bond to finish it off..

There was another dent in this rear pillar about the size of my hand, I didn't take a before picture unfortunately

MANY other areas with small imperfections were corrected

Spot priming all the corrections:

The painter is a pretty awesome dude, I talked to him ALOT during this entire process

We used Sherwin-Williams paint

Shooting some color!!

The bumpers got painted blue by mistake, Luckily they are going to correct them free of charge

Time to tape off the top for some white paint:

How it looked after painting..

There was a lot of polishing done after painting...

Starting to look good, next step was reassembly then on to the upholstery shop, more to come...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: