Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s your favorite Van color?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I’ve got a Dove Blue Westy and it’s OK, but far from my favorite color. I’ve always liked the darker blues better and recently became aware of the Tungsten/Wolfram blue, that I think looks great. But if I could have any color van I wanted, I’d want something in the brown range. Maybe Merian or Assuan hue. My second fav would be the burgundy, then followed by the white. So what’s top 3? What’s your least fav? My least fav is probably the light gold color. (No offense to owners of the light gold color) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Have assuan but really am a fan of white. Anything dark makes the van too hot.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I never owned a blue vehicle and it never would cross my mind. I couldn't be picky when I was hunting for a westy and now I really love the color.

2nd - is Brown

3rd wolfram grey.

These are colors I probably wouldn't like on any other vehicle than the vanagon.

I don't really have a least favorite color. Every time I say "xxxx is such an ugly color" I see one on here and it grows on me.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I like the Wolfsburg westy's the 2 tone, I wish there had have been more 2 tone choices available back the, so there'd be more available now, there was a 2 tone with orange, and a blue one, when we have lucy repainted, she will go 2 tone.

619 201 0310
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Tornado red only offered for 1991 and maybe late 1990

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Wolfram Grey
Orly Blue
Star Blue Metallic

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Escorial green for me, hand's down. So Euro looking

Really like the flash silver metallic and merian brown too. Fortunately, I also really like orly blue, which I have in the extra nice super sun faded chalky looking no clear coat version.

Will admit, I don't like white vans. Also don't like white vehicles in general, so that's just a me thing.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Wolfram Grey
Orly Blue
Star Blue Metallic

Yep, I really like the Wolfram grey (not blue like I previously called it...but it does look more like a blue hue than a grey one IMO). I can't tell the difference between Orly and Dove. Not familiar with Star Blue Metalic ...will have to look for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Tornado red only offered for 1991 and maybe late 1990

Ooooh wow, that IS a sweet color. Pretty rare I'm sure!!! I'm partial to reds as they are my second favorite spectrum.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I have 3 different blue syncros from light to dark and I like them all.
A orly blue, escorial green or tornado red van would be nice.
White or brown are colors I tend to avoid.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

1 - Orly blue
2 - White
3 - Titian red
4 - Dove blue

Not a huge fan of the browns or orange but simply out of personal preference. Then again, I see an older orange westy on the street and I can help but admire it. Any color looks good on a vanagon.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I think I would like the Escorial Green the best.

But in the meantime, my Vanagon definitely needs a repaint. It is the stock silver color, but if possible I would repaint in "Polar Silver" which is a Porsche color, it has more blue hue in it. Here is a shot of my 968 in Polar Silver, and then the 2 of them would match in color.

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

titan red metallic with brown interior is the best color combo ever offered.
87 maybe?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I prefer to have cars that are the color of the dust and dirt around home. That way I don't end up getting to aggravated about a little road grime. Unfortunately, VW didn't spray gravel-dust colors on the then new Vanagons.. Maybe a Tan/Beige would be close. I'm sticking with Flash Silver. If I was to purchase a Vanagon which was a stock color and had my choice of all original colors it would be Orly Blue, or Alpine White. I won't change the basic color of a vehicle when I re-spray either, that is truly an endeavor for masochists.

Some day though, I want to strip one of my cars down to bare steel, and anodize it all copper, then etch the patina to a deep coppery brown. That kind of surface and color would last a lot of years. In a hundred years of so it would be a flat dull greenish color, and still intact. The copper would keep the steel from rusting. I often wonder why car manufacturers don't employ such techniques, until I remember that they want to sell you a new car every few years.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Savannah Beige Metallic is probably my favorite, followed closely by Bronze Beige Metallic. It's hard to choose between those two. My least favorite stock colors are probably Tornado red and the Escorial green.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Savannah Beige Metallic is probably my favorite

+1

I never noticed this color before I bought mine and I really like the way it looks on these. Pretty rare to see one, as opposed to Titian Red…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Escorial green for me, hand's down. So Euro looking

Really like the flash silver metallic and merian brown too. Fortunately, I also really like orly blue, which I have in the extra nice super sun faded chalky looking no clear coat version.

Will admit, I don't like white vans. Also don't like white vehicles in general, so that's just a me thing.

Escorial green is my favorite too, and I would agree with you about white cars, but for some reason I feel it works well on a Vanagon, and not just because I own one. Smile I admit to being a fan of Tornado red too, as it was the color of my 2012 TDI Sportwagen that I sold back to VW as part of the dieselgate fiasco. Here it is on the day I took it to the dealer for the buyback. I really miss that car. I also really like the Bordeaux Red color, but not the clear coat that is usually in bad shape on those colored vans.

bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

I too like just about any color I've seen one in. I must admit tho that any two-color doesn't appeal to me as much. Just stick with one color and I'm happy with it.
-terry
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

WOLFRAM GRAY

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite Van color? Reply with quote

Square era:
1. Orly Blue
2. Bordeaux Red
3. Wolfram Gray/Star Blue/Tornado Red (tie)
4. All others

Round era:
1. Two-tones (love 'em all)
2. Medium Blue
3. All others

I really don't dislike any of the factory Vanagon colors; the vans look good in them all... can't say the same with the Golfs, Jettas, etc.

Ride-Fly wrote:
I can't tell the difference between Orly and Dove. Not familiar with Star Blue Metalic ...will have to look for it.

Orly Blue appears violet at certain angles, but is a dark metallic blue:

Dove Blue is a light silvery blue:

Star Blue is 1989 only for the Wolfsburg Edition/Bluestar and is closer in hue to Dove than Orly is:

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: