Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 Canadian Camper
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Switching allegiances after selling my Karmann Ghia - a vehicle I loved for the past decade but looking around the garage my wife and I see it, three motorcycles and nothing we can share with our two young daughters.

My wife and I are New Englanders and avid campers and have talked about buying a bus for as long as we've been together. Once we have it in good enough shape we're looking forward to touring the campgrounds of New England, beach days and maybe a tour up to Cape Breton, but first things first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought this Canadian camper sight unseen, but the price after selling the ghia was roughly a trade, the vehicle was the best I could find within a day's drive and I was looking for something that would push my mechanical abilities without leaving me overwhelmed (This is the 4th vehicle I've owned that is older than me.)

So far it has been imported, titled, registered and insured. I have new flexible brake lines to replace the old, some koni shocks, H4 headlamp replacements waiting to be installed. I ordered new fuel lines through german supply and keeping an optimistic outlook. The bus will be nothing more than a playroom for the girls until then.

When inside the bus everything looks great - original everything. Ran an extension cord from the garage and plugged in, tested the fridge and it all worked. The faucet, water pump and the city water connection need some attention but will deal with that later.

Outside is clearly a repaint with seals painted over and some bubbling of the paint closer to the ground. The crumbling rocker panels and jack points were visible in the photos I saw before I made the purchase and I rolled the dice hoping it wasn't awful.

Trigger warning: The scenes you are about the see may be difficult for some West Coasters. Stop reading now and take solace in my automotive sustainability practices and that I source my vehicles locally. One less bus dragged from the West to our salty coastline.

Starting from the passenger side rear:

splash panel looks OK....

Rear outrigger not so much, tophat has lost some too.

What I'm seeing is that the channel the outrigger is welded to is in good condition. I'm hoping worst case is I cut out the outrigger and find rust isolated behind the connection.

Front looks about the same.

Shot of the deck makes me think that the first few inches may need some cutting, but after that might be OK. I'm going to replace the complete rocker assembly.

Driver side rear, looks OK to me.

Driver side front. Is part of the inner pillar gone?

Outriggers look the same on this side.

My plan is to replace both left and right rocker assemblies, all four outriggers and jackpoints as well as the floor near the rocker panel. There is rust elsewhere on the bus but I'm thinking deal with this foundational stuff now and worry about the less structurally critical bits later. I'm not looking for a show car here, I'm looking for a camper. I can deal with the rest as I go along.

I see that outriggers can be found with or without the jackpoints already installed. Is there a reason other than expense to purchase them without jackpoints? Does this affect the installation of the rocker panels?

What say you? Does this sound like a solid battle plan? Any comments/suggestions/tips/warnings appreciated.

Thanks in advance, you are awesome.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

nice looking bus. Definitely some rust, but nothing un-repairable. I did a lot of those repairs and still have some to do. If you check out some of the restoration threads here on thesamba you'll get a good idea of how all these panels come together. And likely learn some body work techniques too.

EDIT: Ps, you may want to check out some of the work the split bus guys do. They have some really good restorations there. Funky truck for starters. and Skim did a really nice saving of an original bus too. The metal isn't exactly the same, but you'll get some ideas and lots of inspiration.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"

Last edited by Spike0180 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

IMHO - your bus is in plenty good enough shape to camp in as it is. My bus was far worse in some of those same areas as yours, and I got several years of good camping out of it before doing a major replacement over the last couple of years of rocker panels, floor sections, jack points, and front wheel arches.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
IMHO - your bus is in plenty good enough shape to camp in as it is. My bus was far worse in some of those same areas as yours, and I got several years of good camping out of it before doing a major replacement over the last couple of years of rocker panels, floor sections, jack points, and front wheel arches.

x2 (I don't even have jack points right now. and I'm missing a center cross bracing. Though I do have some beefy AF supports built into the center of my bus to make up for some of that.)

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Quote:
dwill49965 wrote:

x2 (I don't even have jack points right now. and I'm missing a center cross bracing. Though I do have some beefy AF supports built into the center of my bus to make up for some of that.)

That's what I figured too.

I brought it to the same inspection station that I used to bring my ghia. They used to just take my money and give me a sticker with not more than a glance out the window but when I pulled in with this camper I was met with visible disgust by the mechanic. He told me the entire underside was rotted out and that I wouldn't be able to drive it home, which is untrue.

He then told me I couldn't leave it in his lot and that it needed to be towed away. This is after convincing my insurance to cover the car, driving to Canada, dealing with the Canadian registrar, dealing with customs, and dealing with the Massachusetts DMV. There was no way I wasn't going to drive this thing. After some protesting he grumbled, went to the back, and gave me a sticker... It's been hot and muggy here all week.

I figured make those repairs both to avoid that kind of argument in the future and because it should be done. What is keeping me in park for the time being is my wariness of the fuel delivery system. Once I replace the lines and get some extinguishers I'll start taking some short runs to get familiar with the beast. I'll post some photos of the engine bay tonight.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Call Bel-Metric for hose and clamps. Buy enough hose to do the evap lines too, they will be shot.

Hose
https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/

Clamps
https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-steel-screw-clamps-c-15_143_1063/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Check carefully on the front beam where the steering relay (center) arm attaches. This area is know for rust and if the metal fails you will lose your steering.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

that's a lovely looking bus, good luck with her & happy adventures!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

You can always buy another again

The thing you can replace is the age 5-18 experience with your girls camping

Get your brakes and steering safe, fuel lines, leAve the rot for either the next guy or for when they are in college.

Savor every summer in beautiful New England and drop in if you get to the forgotten Wild West of Pittsfield
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Call Bel-Metric for hose and clamps. Buy enough hose to do the evap lines too, they will be shot.

Hose
https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/

Clamps
https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-steel-screw-clamps-c-15_143_1063/

I might do that this week, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hard to tell what condition the lines are in so they’ll all come out. Don’t see a lot of clamps. Booster fans hoses are missing so I’d like to reinstall them. I did notice that the booster fan starts running before the ignition is switched on, is this correct?

Missing the grille on the engine fan, that thing looks viscious!

I see one vacuum line just hanging out loose on one end. When I plug it with my thumb the engine slows. I found a few good ratwell articles on these lines and think I should be able to suss this out.
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Check carefully on the front beam where the steering relay (center) arm attaches. This area is know for rust and if the metal fails you will lose your steering.

Around here? Looks pretty good from this angle, but I’ll take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Glad to see another bus in the area. I had a 2.0 F.I. engine a few years ago and have some extra Fuel Injection parts for sale if anything on yours is missing. Make sure you come to TransporterFest in October too!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

oh didn't he ramble wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Around here? Looks pretty good from this angle, but I’ll take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up.

You need to ice pick the welds around the centre of the beam, where the box that holds the swing arm on. If that box breaks off, it is very,very bad.

It can rust under the coating, so make sure it is good - be as sure as you want to bet your kids lives on it, as that is what you are doing.
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can always buy another again

The thing you can replace is the age 5-18 experience with your girls camping

Get your brakes and steering safe, fuel lines, leAve the rot for either the next guy or for when they are in college.

Savor every summer in beautiful New England and drop in if you get to the forgotten Wild West of Pittsfield

Girls are 2 1/2 years and 2 1/2 months, my attention is on them so the bus won't be seeing much progress for a while, at least until the weather starts getting crummy.

I did find time to replace the fuel lines, all except the two that directly attach to the tank. Those will need to wait until the next time the needle reads empty. I have enough what I need to replace the vapor recovery lines too.

While I was going through the fuel lines lines I came across this, BA6?:

I put the front up on the jacks too so I could get a better look at the front beam with a dental pick. I was pretty satisfied with what I saw. It was dark and maybe some is under the coating/beyond the flashlight somewhere but the rust on this bus does not seem to extend underneath the bus very far. Based on the concern here I plan on checking again in the daylight.

Changed the oil and filter. Found the oil strainer stuck on with liquid gasket and spent some time cleaning up the mess and waiting on a new strainer with the proper gaskets. Oil drain bolt was a bit beat up from a previous wrench so I bought a new one but it looks to be a 13 mm head instead of the 20 mm on I have now so I let it be. All went back together relatively easily and relatively leak free, just disappointed I didn't get my newcomers '9 ft pound strainer bolt' welcome.

Brakes next, then a few exploratory rides.

Quote:
Glad to see another bus in the area. I had a 2.0 F.I. engine a few years ago and have some extra Fuel Injection parts for sale if anything on yours is missing. Make sure you come to TransporterFest in October too!

I'm barely a mile away from Lars Anderson, so I have no excuse to miss it. I will be there. I've gone twice before but in a Ghia. Looking forward to moving over to the bus side of the lawn!

Thanks all, happy to be part of the group.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

oh didn't he ramble wrote:
...just disappointed I didn't get my newcomers '9 ft pound strainer bolt' welcome.

how rude of us...

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

would you like the bears too?

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Link

oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

There it is!

I feel like I have arrived. Much better, thank you.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

I noticed the BA6 belly pan, and with that and the fuel line T, yes, you've got one, or at least the bus had one.

I installed one in my '73 last winter and can tell you it'll be nice to have working too.

Good on you for getting something the whole family can have fun in!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a new mechanic..

give Stan a call
he's worth the drive. https://goo.gl/maps/kbxb4Q9MJMK2

also if you don't already know.. swing by Brookline for Transporterfest Sunday of Columbus weekend
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Spent the afternoon working on valve adjustments and timing. Odometer reads 54,000 km and I know rolled over once so that puts this engine close to 100k miles, i think.

PO had receipts for about $6k CAN for engine work. The receipts are all in french that I can't read but i see some valve work, new lifters and a new hydraulic rod in the list.

Checked the timing before getting under the valve covers. When I was checking connections while the engine was idling I got zapped good by the #3 spark plug wire. Pulled the wire and saw this:

Fortunately I still had some spark plug wires and caps in the garage and was able to replace it (as well as a second that showed some hairline cracking). Noticed the engine got ove a stumble it had at idle once the wires were swapped. Timing at idle was around 12-14 btdc.

In adjusting the valves I noticed the #4 intake valve adjustment screw was proud of the rest. It also looked a little stripped like it had been fiddled more than the others as did the securing nut.

I tried adjusting it hoping it was previously set incorrectly but got the same result as in the picture. Thinking it might be the lifter I tired setting the valve loose, idling the bus for a few minutes, then adjusting it again. No dice, adjustment is still about the same.

Came back to the samba to do some research and found this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Now I think I have a dropping valve seat and need new/rebuilt heads. Will this be enough? Thoughts appreciated.

Finished up the job and timed to 28 btdc wide open. Now idles around 5 btdc. Feeiling a bit deflated about the valve, but I knew this was a risk before I bought it, so suck it up right? Guess I was optimistic that the money the PO put into it last year would have caught issues like this.
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Canadian Camper Reply with quote

Yesterday's troubles kept me up a bit last night so I decided to dig out the work receipt to see what work had been done. Thought I wasn't going to be able to make sense of it....

Engine work: c'est language universale

Names have been redacted to protect the innocent. Work is dated as July 1st, 2017.

I see plenty lot of work in heads, cylinders and cam. I think I see one reworked head and a lapped valve but I don't know which head & valve this refers to.

The PO left me with a Bentley that was never opened. I imagine he would take the same approach to the valve covers and that the last time valves were adjusted was with this mechanic. I doubt he didn't notice this. Is it possible he lapped the valve into a sunk seat? Would lapping one valve and not the others drop the valve enough to be noticeable during a valve adjustment?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: