Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Limited slip differential
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Limited slip differential Reply with quote

im wanting to put limited slip differential in my split case transmission for off road, since this car stays on ranch and never on highway. what will fit? Also what is involved in swapping in a bus reduction box? any help appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: limited slip diferential Reply with quote

I have no clue on the LSD.
For mounting bus reduction boxes you would need to flip the crownwheel orientation inside the box.
You'll have to open the gearbox anyway to switch the axles.
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: limited slip diferential Reply with quote

my plan is use whole bus box, im guessing that a special adapter need to be fabricated for outer swing mount?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: limited slip diferential Reply with quote

if it was easy everybody would be doing it. Smile

as far as i know you are looking at a semi-custom lsd to suit a pre a porsche 356. from memory the guy who makes them is on this site with the username "gears" or similar.

or

i think there is a chance a paw type lsd out of a kubelwagen may be able to be adapted, but i don't have one to investigate further.

either way it won't be cheap.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: limited slip diferential Reply with quote

According this topic in Vintage Speed, "Gears" says they are still available.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679807

edit:
After thinking about this a while I remembered some discussion about shims to preload the differential and I came up with this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607173
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: limited slip diferential Reply with quote

wow 2k for one.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip differential Reply with quote

My first thought was why? and then how much are you willing to spend.

If it’s a ranch vehicle, rip the fenders off, put some good mud tires on it and a winch. With the flat bottom and light weight, VW’s will go thru quite a bit of mud easily
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip differential Reply with quote

just ,thinking for 1k i could better offroad cap, but now i see more like 3k maybee just use the jeep for snow.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Limited slip differential Reply with quote

Silly question....

Many many years ago (early 80's) I owned pair of Green, bone stock, '69's at the same time. One was a standard manualtrans & the other was an Auto-stik trans ...

Just by the rear traction differences between them (especially in Winter) I would have sworn the auto-stick drove like it was LSD and drove totally different than the one with the standard manual trans... And I would also notice that both wheels would spin up together in heavy snow where the manual wouldn't....

I would always drive the auto-stik when it snowed as its rear traction was 10x better than the one with the manual trans. Both cars had matching stock wheels & tires... It's always made me wonder if the A/S's were LSD or maybe even posi, or maybe something different about the auto-stiks that allowed both rears to spin together...

Anyone know?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: