Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1397cc 36hp engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

I thought I'd share the new engine I had built for my '58 Karmann Ghia. It has some Porsche influences to be a little different.

Joe Ruiz built the long block. It's a May '58 dated 36hp case fitted with AA Performance 80mm P&C's, WW 69.5 crank, WW hi-po cam, Berg sump, WW dual port heads fitted with 35mm/33mm intake/exhaust valves, 8.5:1 compression, AA Performance 1.15:1 rockers, and some other stuff I might be forgetting. Very Happy

Franz Muhr at Kustom Coach Werks built it out to turn key, incorporating 356 linkage, velocity ring, and coil and oil filter holder into the shroud. He also rebuilt and fitted a 356 fuel pump. We painted the shroud silver for a sort of Super 90 look. Franz's attention to detail is great... like fabricating two-piece cylinder tin to make manifold removal easy for install/removal is a really nice feature. He used a 40-horse fan to take advantage of the larger # of blades it offered over a stock 36hp fan.

Other goodies include an Airflow Systems oil cooler, Stefi G cast reproduction OT pulley, NOS Bosch Blue Screamer/coil from Glenn Ring, NOS Fram F3-P, Rick C rebuilt thin slot generator, 36 Dellortos with Vintage Speed Knecht style filters on Speedwell intakes, and a Vintage Speed Abarth style exhaust.

Engine is shipping next week from KCW, then I'm going to try and resist the urge to immediately install it since I have some metal work to the engine bay lined up in September, where it would need to come right back out.

Thanks for looking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Last edited by PeteSC on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Pretty pictures Pete. Your Ghia will be a thing of beauty both inside and out. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks John. It's a fun car with the current stock 36, so hopefully this will make it a real treat to drive.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Thanks John. It's a fun car with the current stock 36, so hopefully this will make it a real treat to drive.

I know a lot of people really enjoy the 40hp with a simple Big Bore 1385...yours should be a blast Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Very Happy

BTW, do you know what had to be done adapt 356 linkage to a VW?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Very Happy

BTW, do you know what had to be done adapt 356 linkage to a VW?

Cheers,

Paul

On the linkage crossbar - Franz moved the piece that accepts the throttle push rod over a few inches so it lines up in the same location where the factory VW cable is at the front tin. He also reversed it so the attachment points are on the left (when looking at the linkage side) instead of originally on the right. If left in original location I believe the throttle cable will cross over the clutch cable (presuming you move the hole where it enters the engine bay in the front tin do that it lines up). He also welded a section of tube to the front tin to act as a guide for the cable since the OG 36hp cable tube is no longer used.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

I haven’t seen those type of plug wire separators before. Been looking for something like this. Can you point me in the right direction?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

you mean these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AirCooled-36hp-Rubber-...itleDesc=0
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
you mean these?

Sweet. Never saw these before. PO just had them zip tied to the balance tube. Wink
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
you mean these?

Sweet. Never saw these before. PO just had them zip tied to the balance tube. Wink

Wolfsburg West sells them too:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113905451
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Looks great Pete! Even better when it's in the Ghia!

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks Erik! Appreciate all of your help and brain-picking through the build (oh, and the carbs too!).
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

The extra 100 cc makes the Okrasa heads engine work so much better. That you will not regret.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Installed it tonight. Hope to fire up tomorrow.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Looks really good Pete, like it was always meant to be there. Lots of room in that Ghia boot Very Happy

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks Erik! Carbs sync’d this morning:

Link
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful looking engine. Sounds great too!
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

PeteSC-

Do you have any plans to dyno your new toy?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks Low Brau.

No plans to Dyno. It’s almost indetical to Shin Watanabe’s 1397 that was written up in Hot VW’s and Dyno’d. 69 hp for Shin’s; mine has larger valves/slightly higher compression so maybe a hair more than that.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1397cc 36hp engine Reply with quote

Some minor changes-

I added a Speedwell USA Pre-A style oil breather (with an added tube for the 1/2 side valve cover vent).

Changed the distributor to an 010 in place of the 019, since the advance curve of the 010 pairs better with the Okrasa-style setup. It's a noticeable difference, especially at part throttle cruising at 2800-3000 rpms where the 010 is fully advanced. I should be able to pull down my jetting sizes some...I hope to do some wideband tuning this weekend.

Also swapped the blue coil out for a black one, mainly for aesthetics. The "Blue Screamer" 019 was NOS when I got it, and came with that blue coil, bracket, sticker, and original "Blue Screamer" box, so I wanted to put all of that back in the box for garage display.

I have a little over 4000 miles on this engine now, and drive it several times per week to work, etc. It's a really fun combo.

Last edited by PeteSC on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: