Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary 12v cooling fan
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

Has anyone ever installed an auxiliary engine cooling fan?
My notch is now running a 1968cc and after a long hard run in summer heat, after I shut it down and let it heat soak for a bit, on next start up and run it really suffers from poor acceleration from a stop. Will do this for a host bit until it’s been run for a bit at speed.
What I’d like to do is add a 12v auxiliary cooling fan to be able to run for a bit to assist in getting under hood temps down/ Engine cool down.
Anyone ever attempt this?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

what are your oil and head temps when running?

My 1904cc will climb to 230F on the oil temps on a highway run in about a half hour. I added an oil cooler and sandwich thermostat to the oil filter, it looks after the oil temps now. no problems with hot starts

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mocal-Thermostatic-Sa...dapter.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Setrab-Single-Fan-Pack-Oil-Cooler-Series-1-19-Row-p/fp119m22i.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
bustercat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

I have wondered about this too. Heat soak seems a universal problem to some degree with a lot of these cars, especially in the hot weather. Would a timer controlled fan in the engine compartment help by moving air at shutdown? I was thinking of a marine bilge blower type setup. They can move a lot of air.
Meanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

Bustercat.....exactly my train of thought. I work in Marine industry and a bilge fan was my first thought. The trick is to find a way to due it that is not only functional but also looks like it belongs, or adds to the looks. I spent a fair bit of time when I rebuilt my engine having cases vapour blasted and tins replacer coated. I don’t want to ruin an otherwise clean bay with shite.
Geothon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

Heater blower motor out of Type 4 bus will not look out of place. I actually had it installed into the Squareback engine bay hooked up to the heat exchangers. May be possible to flange the outlets into the tin.

Vintagerazor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

Came across this the other day. Picture isn’t mine. I have a T34 with an external oil cooler mounted above the trannsmission on the left side. I have similar problems starting from hot. So I have to wonder where cool air is being fed to the oilcooler/engine bay.

This solution is a rather crude but I would like to think it serves the purpose of feeding additional cool air into the bay? Thoughts?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

I will open up a can of worms again. However, when you look at the posts relating to difficult hot starts, the common thread is that most of them have big engines. Yet where are we pulling our intake air from, the multiple hundreds degrees engine compartment. Does heat soak have an affect, of course. If we were to bring in cool intake air, it would help with hot starting and heat soak. One thing I know for an absolute fact, is that an hot engine wants a leaner mixture at startup, then a cold one. I just don't work on VWs, but I have an over abundance of other toys (i have 6 dirt bikes as an example). On semi modern. Four stroke dirt bikes, ( before they became computer controlled) they had a hot start button that actually leaned out the mixture when hot so they could start them. In fact on my T4 powered Squareback, when hot and I touch the throttle, it's cranking time. If I don't touch it, it's a pretty easy start. Medical and work issues have stalled me for now, but I will get to it and share my findings with you. The only problem is I can't test my theories until next summer.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary 12v cooling fan Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I will open up a can of worms again. However, when you look at the posts relating to difficult hot starts, the common thread is that most of them have big engines. Yet where are we pulling our intake air from, the multiple hundreds degrees engine compartment. Does heat soak have an affect, of course. If we were to bring in cool intake air, it would help with hot starting and heat soak. One thing I know for an absolute fact, is that an hot engine wants a leaner mixture at startup, then a cold one. I just don't work on VWs, but I have an over abundance of other toys (i have 6 dirt bikes as an example). On semi modern. Four stroke dirt bikes, ( before they became computer controlled) they had a hot start button that actually leaned out the mixture when hot so they could start them. In fact on my T4 powered Squareback, when hot and I touch the throttle, it's cranking time. If I don't touch it, it's a pretty easy start. Medical and work issues have stalled me for now, but I will get to it and share my findings with you. The only problem is I can't test my theories until next summer.

Yup, my 65 Notch with dual carbs and a 1600 are exactly like that. When fully warmed, don't touch the gas, only the key. When cold, step on the pedal twice first. That all aluminum case holds heat once fully warmed up.
My son is finally figuring this out with his 1.7 T-4 powered car. Once warmed, leave the pedal alone.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: