Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with possible purchase
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bwic415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Hey everyone, new to the forum and happy to have found a solid place for information. I'm currently looking at purchasing my first buggy. I've found a manx-style buggy that the owner explained was completely rebuilt over a period of a few years. From the pictures it looks to be solid. I'm working on arranging to check it out in person. I was hoping for some advice on what to check for. I have some decent mechanical knowledge and background, but I'm new to the world of VW. What are some things I should pay attention to? Regarding the VW front and rear suspension, besides ride quality, how can I determine if they are in good shape, or able to be adjusted?

Additionally, if anyone has some input on registering and insuring the buggy in NY state, I would appreciate it. As I understand the car is currently registered as a 1963 VW and I can register it as the same using the previous owners signed transferable registration. What about insurance?

I really am thankful for any help, I did read over the previous buggy buyer guide post, but was hoping for any other suggestions.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Hi there,

I know that's it's been a few days since your original post; I think the lack of responses reflects the scope of your inquiry. There have been entire books written on both dune buggies and air cooled VWs in general, so it would be extremely difficult to cover all of the bases as you consider a dune buggy purchase.

However, I would like to suggest an alternative; consider checking out the air cooled VW clubs that may be based in New York. If you go to the top of this page, and highlight "Community" you can choose "Clubs" in the drop down menu.

For instance, one of the clubs listed in NY is the Long Island Volkswagen Club (I have no idea as to it's possible active status), here is the link to their club page:

http://www.livc.net/

Forums such as thesamba can at times be help in specific circumstances, but nothing beats having someone that is experienced in air cooled VWs put their eyeballs on a possible purchase or project. Best of luck in your search.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

I always look under the dash...wiring is the door to the soul regarding a quality build.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

That "look under the dash" from jsp was probably one of the best suggestions I have heard here...

Don't get bogged down with specifics of suspension, etc. (it remains a kit car - even when completed) Stick to the generalities.

Jim

..sorry, don't have a clue about NY
Manx #2614
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Bwic415 wrote:
... Regarding the VW front and rear suspension, besides ride quality, how can I determine if they are in good shape ...

Get down on knees near front left (driver's side) wheel and do a couple checks: (1) With hands at 9:00 and 3:00, push & pull so as to make the wheel turn while watching for steering wheel motion. (2) With both hands at tire top, push & pull to see how much slop there is while looking around behind (if you can) for any lose or worn parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Although i am not by any means an expert,

you can easily determine if there is end play in the lower pulley, by trying to move it back and forth

most of the buggies i see for sale are in the 2k to 5k range, and having a solid engine is a huge part of the value of the car.

Wads
Bwic415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Gary, your advice on checking out a local club is a great idea. I will look into it. I did wind up purchasing a buggy. It needs some work, but its all there. The motor seems to run well, the body is in good shape with only some minor chips and scratches. The frame and pan, not so great. I'll be on the lookout for a chassis to swap in the near future. I will post some pictures soon, I am hoping to get some help identifying the manufacturer.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Yes Pictures!
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

as long as the tunnel is soled all you need is to replace the floor pans not the hole thing much easer then shorting the tunnel
Bwic415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Here are some photos of my new buggy. Can anyone help with identification. It has some of the manx features such has the reinforcing tubes under the fenders that run from front to rear bulkhead, the spare tire and battery well etc. However the dash, although plastic with a steel support, certainly looks different than any Manx dash I've seen. At any rate, I wasn't looking for, or expecting a real Manx, just a cool looking buggy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Looks great, congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Very cool.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Very cool buggy.

I'd say it was a Manx even if I saw it person, if it's not it is a very good clone.
the dash could have been cut out and swapped to what you have, ya never know...

-front badge on the hood
-rear license plate mount
-flat fenders
+ all the others you mentioned

are dead give aways to me. but I'm no expert. That would be Winnie Meyers.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bwic415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For fun, I submit pictures for official verification. Again, I'm not expecting it, but for $20 bucks it's worth checking out. I snapped the throttle cable today, fortunately the previous owner had a replacement in the back ready to go.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with possible purchase Reply with quote

What stands out to "me", and it means absolutely nothing really, and this isn't derogatory towards builders/owners who don't do it, but the fact that it has padded and upholstered side panels seems like a nice and complete build...... I think a person who would half-ass a build and just throw together a pile of junk would not have taken the time to fully upholster the interior!??! Again, just my thoughts.
Looks like a nice Buggy. I can't wait until ours is finished, sometimes I wish I just bought a running buggy like you did, vs. doing a complete restoration/build !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: