Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I am finally starting the camper interior in our 64 Kombi. I am just finishing up the two year restoration now. My 64 Kombi restoration

In deciding on a design we had a few things we wanted. It must look the correct vintage. Must work well for day trips with two people seated in the back. Be good for week long camping trips. We must be able to do long distance traveling.

Most of the driving will be day trips so that takes priority. We do not want to cover any windows and want the curtains to be removable. Basically driving will be the same as a standard bus with just a rear bench. We want to have cold drinks and food with us also.

On camping trips it will be used more as a bedroom with living outside under the awning. A roof rack will be used to haul gear as most camping trips will be within half a days drive. We need power for lighting and charging things and a fridge that is easy to access from outside. Heat for cold nights.

Traveling is the difficult part. We need to carry everything and don’t want to use a roof rack. Want the cabinets as light as possible. It needs to be able to switch from seating to sleeping without too much work and without putting stuff outside. Never know where we will end up spending the night or what the weather will be like. We also need to carry water. No more than 8L and must be easy to fill. Don’t need a sink but a tap would be nice. Must have a fridge for food. Must be able to make coffee inside in the morning. Need to carry some cloth on hangers.

What I am starting with
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

What I am planning will be sort of a standard layout with the addition of a small cabinet in the left front. The bench seat will fold out into a bed. Upright cabinet on right rear. Custom fridge on right front with solid-state cooling. The electrical will be in the bottom front of the left front cabinet.

This are not quite current but close.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Today I started the seat/bed. I designed my own bracket as I wanted a full 75" bed. Used mostly aluminum to keep the weight down. I may get new aluminum bottom brackets made once they are finished. I always planned to get setup to weld aluminum but never got around to it…

I only screwed the bases down while I made sure everything would work. Made spacer between the floor and the base. Used a grinder to shape the spacers to the floor. I didn’t think it would work well if I bolted it through the wooden floor as the steel floor is very uneven

Left bracket is spaced away from the wheel well just enough for a gas heater duct to fit. I plan to get a BN4 for it.

I still have to extend the bases up the back and bolt them through behind the gas tank. I will also make stops for folded and out. There will be quite a bit of stress on it when setting on the end of the bed so will run a frame across behind the gas tank for support.

Once I have it assembled I will fix the drawings and add them here.

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

here from your first thread. excited to see how the interior turns out. your work is awesome.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Bed mostly working. Still need to replace the screws with bolts and add stops.

Most of it is just scrap wood for fitting. I decided to go with 1/2" plywood for the floor and deck. Didn't think 3/8" would stay flat. Will likely need to order it as I need 5'x5' sheets.

Seat is very solid as it sits on the wood base and the base sits on the bracket. I will be using 5” foam so tested the seating using some old ridged foam. Feels good. We will mostly use it for setting at the table and I think that will be just right.

Bed seem solid but need to get the bolts in before I can test it.

The left base will house the gas heater duct and a 600 watt 110v ceramic heater. I will need to cut some bolts but will fit. It frees up a small storage spot on the left that I didn’t plan for. Smile

I am happy to get the bed this far as I wasn’t sure how good it would work. It is the most complex part of the build.

And the bed is actually 74" x 50". A standard double is 74"x54". We are going to get a 5” foam mattress and cut it into three parts. Much cheaper than buying foam around here and should be more comfortable.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Pulled the engine and gas tank to install the bed support.

Support is 2x2x1/4" aluminum angle that I cut 1/2" off one leg so it would fit behind the tank straps. Installed two loops that bolt through the support that will hold the bed when out. Also installed 4 carriage bolt for the upper brackets. The carriage bolts are pulled into the aluminum so I don't need to access the back of them.

Picked up a couple sheets of 1/2" baltic birch plywood. Not happy with the quality. Both sides are full of patches. Apparently that's all they can get... I think I can arrange it so they are covered or cut off.

I hope to permanently install the bed Monday.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Wife started making some curtains. Smile We are not sure on the fabric color. They are a good test and will be good untill we find something better. Really need to get everything else done before we can match the curtains anyway.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

fabric looks pretty nice.

what are you planning to use on the bed?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
fabric looks pretty nice.

what are you planning to use on the bed?

Cloth upholstery.

The color doesn't look correct in the photo. It actually looks a little darker and has a hint of blue fleck. Looks very nice by the bus.

Edit: the multiple color material may be used for the rear cushion.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I just looked at your layout, it's going to be nice all finished up. Having the stove on the inside wall is not my favourite from a venting perspective, if you dont have a poptop. If you have good opening window's right there it might be okay but if you need it inside, you might consider by the door instead. My experience from camping in these things.

Look forward to the updates and seeing it stopping by on an Ontario roadtrip sometime.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
I just looked at your layout, it's going to be nice all finished up. Having the stove on the inside wall is not my favourite from a venting perspective, if you dont have a poptop. If you have good opening window's right there it might be okay but if you need it inside, you might consider by the door instead. My experience from camping in these things.

Look forward to the updates and seeing it stopping by on an Ontario roadtrip sometime.

The stove has changed to a portable butane burner than can be slid out of the cabinet and used outside. Mostly it will be for morning coffee while traveling and in good weather we will set it outside. I will be building my own efficient "ambulance fans" so will be able to pump up the air circulation when needed.

We plan getting to Ontario next year but likly only as far as Kingston. Cross country trip someday though.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Curtain color test. Actually we are quite happy with the colors.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Bed frame installed.

I added an extra angle across the end of the base. It allows it the reach the cross member to take some force off the crappy floor.

Bolted down the bases with 5/16" bolts.

Added the chains to stop travel. Adjusted them so the backrest just dropped past the deck when pulled out.

Used 1/4" carriage bolts to hold the tops on. Need to pickup a few more to finish. I forgot and over tightened the bolts on the backrest so they crushed the wood a bit. I may make a new back later.

Still have two little brackets to hold the edge of the deck but it is very solid. No flex when I set on the edge.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

O boy, this is gonna be good.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I love where this is going! You should make some sleeves to cover the chains out of an old bicycle inner tube. Otherwise they'll rattle against the paint and probably make a really annoying jingly sound when you're driving.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I love where this is going! You should make some sleeves to cover the chains out of an old bicycle inner tube. Otherwise they'll rattle against the paint and probably make a really annoying jingly sound when you're driving.

Thanks!

I was thinking of some clothe sleeves for them.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

As the owner of a new (to me) '64 camper I will be following this thread with great interest! Looks good so far!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Finally got the deck brackets on. Just a little more support for the leadge. They are 3/16 aluminium. I will add some flat head bolt through the leadge later.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Curtains in. The hardware will get swapped out when I find what I'm looking for.

Haven't found small chrome knobs. Found brass ones... Used some small screws with washers and some plastic tube to space them out.

Found some 3/16" elastic cord locality. I will find a better color later. Couldn't find crimps so used a brass tube used for hooking up facets. Pipe cutter left a ridge inside so I used the drill press to stretch them out. Flattened the pipe a bit so the cord would fit. Cords cut 20". Used a chisel to crimp them. They seem to hold well.

I will add a cord to bottom to hold them in.

PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Nice work on the curtain bungees!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: