Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Stunning work Applause
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

One thing that would have been nice when we were traveling was an awning light. We hooked a led light up but wasn't a great solution.

Wanted something that looked vintage so using an old dome light. I made clamps out of some plastic sheet. Heated it untill soft and wrapped around a bolt just slightly smaller than the awning tube. Snaps on tight. This was a test so may make nicer clamps but I these are usable.

I have a plug in the engine compartment for outside lights.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Removed the steel pins I had used as joints on the awning. They were all I could find at the time. Was about 15 lb of steel.

Found some 15mm tube and made new joints. Think I will try using a cable crimper to hold them in. If that doesn't work I will glue them in.

Think I will paint the bars black. Or maybe power coat them if the crimping works.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Decided I had enough coats on.

Cover on the spice rack. Really finishes it off.

Table in. Very happy with it when up. Don't really like it down but should help when the cushions and curtains are in.

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

That place will have to be like grandparents houses where all the couches are still in plastic wrap or you're not allowed to eat in there unless it's a Sunday or something Laughing Don't forget to take your shoes off when you enter there. Man what a cool place to hang ! You'll have to get us a nice fish eye view of all that.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

panel wrote:
That place will have to be like grandparents houses where all the couches are still in plastic wrap or you're not allowed to eat in there unless it's a Sunday or something Laughing Don't forget to take your shoes off when you enter there. Man what a cool place to hang ! You'll have to get us a nice fish eye view of all that.

Haha. It is ment to be used and not worry about a little wear. Actually think it will have a nicer feel showing a little life. I don't want a perfect showpiece that we can't enjoy.

This year I plan to get lots of good photos of it packed and setup. Hopefully we can get out on the road next month.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Put a quick connect on the water tank.

Last year I found the tube didn't stay on the bottom and was a bit of a pain getting it out and back in when we filled the tank.

Picked up a quick connect with valves so they won't leak when disconnected. That will help as the tube to the hand pump stays full of water.

I used some copper pipe inside so the pickup stays on bottom. Was quite a job getting the nut tight.

This makes it very quick to get the tank out and back in. Tank is 5 gal and is about all you want to carry when full. Gives us about 5 days of water when traveling.

I would like to find a small one way valve to replace the plug. If I forget to pull it the tanks builds vacuum and makes it hard to pump water.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Awning poles almost done.

Used a cable crimper to hold the pins in. Worked well but don't like the look much. Going to paint them black so should help.

The peak section was a bit springy last year so cut out the old tab and made a new support. I will get it tigged at work. Some day I am getting a tig welder but haven't got around to it yet. Smile

Last edited by sgellis on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Added a level. Not sure we will use it but maybe.

I didn't want it to show but easily readable. Under the bed seemed like a good spot. Drilled a hole and it friction fits in. Once the shelac dries I will glue it in.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Seems accurate when comparing to an actual level. Next time I have the jack under the bus I will level it an see how close it is.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Awning parts done. Going to set it up before painting or powder coating the parts.

Adam47374
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Was looking at building a camper out of the bus that I just picked up, and really like your setup, with cad drawings. Just finishing up my door panels tonight, and hope to have the headliner done by this weekend.

Have a question, what did you use for the rounded corners on the cabinets? If it's a custom thing that you made, anyway you could modify the drawings for novice builders like myself.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis, I love your little details, can't wait to see what type of compass you will install for the road trips old style Wink

sgellis wrote:
Seems accurate when comparing to an actual level. Next time I have the jack under the bus I will level it an see how close it is.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Adam47374 wrote:
Was looking at building a camper out of the bus that I just picked up, and really like your setup, with cad drawings. Just finishing up my door panels tonight, and hope to have the headliner done by this weekend.

Have a question, what did you use for the rounded corners on the cabinets? If it's a custom thing that you made, anyway you could modify the drawings for novice builders like myself.

They are solid wood. I had a local wood shop make them as it was cheaper than buying the cutters. I gave them the drawing below and told them I needed enough to make the parts listed.

The rounded corners are a lot of work to assemble. They can be replaced with 3/4"x3/4" wood and router a smaller radius on them after glued. I'm not going to change the drawings but they have most of what you need. Suggest getting some scrap paneling to make patterns
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=116

Cabinet corners
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/s5otwo9nqnllgce/CabinetCorners.pdf

Adam47374
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Thank you.. Just posting the measurements of the corners works for me, that allows me to know how much to add onto boards that use the custom ends. I love the idea of the rounded ends, however I lack the wood working skills that you have, so mine will be a more basic model of what you have created. I might be able to convince my brother in-law to help me this winter, and if so I would expect something more along your quality of work.

Build looks great, and a real inspiration for people like me.
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

So awesome mate!. Cool Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Worked on the side lights today. I'm happy with this design. Hoping the lens material arrives soon.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Played with lights tonight. Decided to mount the side lights. Still haven't recieved the lens material.

Found some black wire for the awning light. Crimped a ring terminal on the ground and heat shrink with glue over everything the hold the wire from pulling out. Now if I can find my lens... At least I think I have a spare lens Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Wired up the side lights. Currently programed to have 4 levels. Momentary switch on each light can be used to change level or cycled on off.

Lens material arrived but low priority.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Fixed up the electrical today. Still some engine sensors to hook up but they are just for fun so will get to them later.

Set the electrical covers in. They set in there well but going to add velcro or something to hold them in place better.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 27

Jump to: