Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Ordered some pole clips months ago and they arrived. Turned out to be just the right size.

Played around with some hole sizes to get one that could easily be pressed without being too big. They work very nice. I may try using a large countersink to add a taper in the pole so they would just push together.

I will be adding them to the horizontal poles and the support poles. May do all the joints but not sure it will be a help on some.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Applause

Keep up the good work, beautifull!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Could you share your source for those pole clips?

I know a few fold out awning owners and we all need some.

Thx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
Could you share your source for those pole clips?

I know a few fold out awning owners and we all need some.

Thx.

I got the 4mm pin ones. Shipping is a few months.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IVGKDI8
You may find some with better shipping. I see Amazon.com is out. I also found them on aliexpress but amazon was cheaper at the time I ordered.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Out of the shop and back together. Only 3 1/2 months behind schedule. haha

Now to make up for the lost time.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

very nice how it all came together.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Fitted the new awning poles. I made 2 longer and 2 shorter. Along with the new joints it makes the cover fit tight.

Much nicer. Looked a little sloppy before. The end poles will eventually connect to the bumpers when I finally get the rear bumper on.

Now I will add the locks to all connections. When I was putting it up and taking down I thought the locks would make things a lot easier.

louisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

FANTASTIC work. Thanks for sharing with us. I've enjoyed every post.

Help a child achieve success in life.
www.bbbsps.org

* Make a difference in a child's life. Become a Big Brother or Big Sister. www.bbbs.org*
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

This truly is phenomenal, very nice work. 10/10. Seeing threads like this make me so happy - someone that takes it from start to finish and pays attention to the detail. Kudos, congrats to the both of you
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Last two days i did a bunch of little things on the bus.

Awning poles now all have locking pins. I may have the poles powder coated black or may just spray them.

Awning light is done for now. I will find a better connector. That was just an old one I had. Will see how it works. If not enough light I will add another light. Wish I could find my old lenses.

Installed new fridge seals. Seals good but takes quite a bit to compress them. Latch doesn't hold on ruff roads but works well when stopped. I will continue to use the stick of shame but only while driving. I have another idea using magnetic seals and glueing steel strips on.

Relocated the fridge temperature sensor so it now reads temp of cooling plate. Works much better for controlling temperature.

Added a cover to the battery + terminal. Makes it a little safer.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Packing up the bus for a trip. The "spice rack" is going to be convenient.

The sub drawers are great also. Keeps things nicely organized.

Made some leveling block out of 2x6 red cedar I had kicking around.

Wife made new curtains. Old ones were really faded after two years. Need too look for material that doesn't fade as bad for next set.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Day 6 of a little trip.

2x6 leveling blocks work great. Had to use all 3 in two spots we stayed. Don't think I will ever need a 4th. Thought it might be difficult to drive up on two but no issues yet.

Left front lower cabinet is now officially the dirty laundry cabinet. Wife made a laundry bag that just fits when full. About a weeks worth of laundry for us.

Think the awning is almost done. We have a few more improvments to do. Works great with the locking rods. Two can easily unhook and set the awning on the ground and put back on bus. We had a freek gust of wind flip the awning over the bus one day. Somehow didn't do any damage. Been tying it down now.

Location we are at now has been windy so doors won't stay open. Also handy to keep front door at 90 as a wind break. Need to find a way to hold them open and at 90.

Cargo doors don't seal in center bottom. Water sprays up when driving in rain. Maybe I can add something behind seal in that spot to close the gap.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Day 6 of a little trip.

2x6 leveling blocks work great. Had to use all 3 in two spots we stayed. Don't think I will ever need a 4th. Thought it might be difficult to drive up on two but no issues yet.

from a fellow camper. If you put an extra block in front of the blocks you are trying to get on, it is not as tall a climb. we also put an angle on it so you have a little ramp. If you drill a hole through all of them you can put a large nail through them. Keeps them from shifting.

3 high is a lot, but we have had to do more. martinsville virginia nascar track is for mountain goats...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Day 6 of a little trip.

from a fellow camper. If you put an extra block in front of the blocks you are trying to get on, it is not as tall a climb. we also put an angle on it so you have a little ramp. If you drill a hole through all of them you can put a large nail through them. Keeps them from shifting.

3 high is a lot, but we have had to do more. martinsville virginia nascar track is for mountain goats...

My plan is to add 1/8" deep X 1/2" wide grooves on 7/8" centers top and bottom. Then they would lock together wherever I wanted them.

By staggering them 4" I was able to easily drive up on without them sliding which sort of surprised me. I could carry more than 3 but don't want to use up storage space and figure in extreme cases we can find something to work. Plus we can always use the jack on the left side for a little extra height.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
... We had a freek gust of wind flip the awning over the bus one day. Somehow didn't do any damage.

Dang, how did that not power tweak the mounts and not scratch/dent the landing zone?

Regarding the cargo door base leak, do you have this kind of bump in the rubber? WW on top NOS on bottom.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
sgellis wrote:
... We had a freek gust of wind flip the awning over the bus one day. Somehow didn't do any damage.

Dang, how did that not power tweak the mounts and not scratch/dent the landing zone?

Regarding the cargo door base leak, do you have this kind of bump in the rubber? WW on top NOS on bottom.

I did find one pole has a very small bend but soft aluminum so easy fix. Still hard to believe it didn't dent or scratch the bus.

No notches. I had to cut them in. Also seal is not nearly as thick as NOS. I think they were cheep though. Smile I will try adding something but probably get new seals. I need to replace the cheep front door seals also.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Clips I made for the awning light didn't stand up to abuse. Light is very nice to have though and I like the look. Was thinking of doing two but one gives enough light.

Found 3/4" PEX pipe worked great for new clips. Not sure why I didn't try that the first time . Smile

Need to buy a lens. I thought I had one but have been though everything and it didn't turn up.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Made some upgrades to the leveling blocks. Added some shallow slots to one side so they lock together and beveled the ends.

May get a chance to try them out on the weekend.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Added snaps to the curtains. Find they blow shut if windows are open while driving. Also sometimes it is a pain to make them stay closed.

Used small plastic snaps that seem to be very nice. All curtains are the same so can snap together side to side. Very quick to open and close.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Added side to the awning today. Getting cold and we want a wind break when cold and windy. Also sometimes privacy. We are building a front also but likely only use the front at night. Material is a bit odd but we kind of like it. Couldn't get enough of the top fabric to do the sides.

Added steel snaps every 6" along top. Sides are cut to work with the support poles on bumpers. Hopefully I will get the back bumper on for next season. Smile

Need to decide on how to pin bottoms down. They need to be a little long for uneven sites and also not billow.

The front will be two parts and just snap down the corners and middle. Maybe a zipper or something else in the center would be easier then snaps.

Also testing an added brace in center of awning. Keeps the fabric tight so won't pool so much water. Going to make good braces out of aluminum tube.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 27

Jump to: