Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Made some upgrades to the leveling blocks. Added some shallow slots to one side so they lock together and beveled the ends.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those look nice.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Last two days i did a bunch of little things on the bus.

Installed new fridge seals. Seals good but takes quite a bit to compress them. Latch doesn't hold on ruff roads but works well when stopped. I will continue to use the stick of shame but only while driving. I have another idea using magnetic seals and glueing steel strips on.

You might consider high-powered "rare earth" magnet(s) somehow on your fridge door edge. You can get small, flat ones for less than $10. I assume they are widely available, but if not, try "American Science and Surplus"
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Using the awning sides and they work great. Still have details to work out. Just using clips to hold the front panels together from inside and out. Need something quick and easy to hold. Also need to peg it down for windy days. Thinking clips to grip the side and pull down to pegs.

With the sides all on and doors open the 110v heater in the bus keeps it nice and comfortable.

Built the center brace. Keeps top nice and tight. Do have to keep the dome light switch away from the frame though. Smile

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

otherbeach wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Last two days i did a bunch of little things on the bus.

Installed new fridge seals. Seals good but takes quite a bit to compress them. Latch doesn't hold on ruff roads but works well when stopped. I will continue to use the stick of shame but only while driving. I have another idea using magnetic seals and glueing steel strips on.

You might consider high-powered "rare earth" magnet(s) somehow on your fridge door edge. You can get small, flat ones for less than $10. I assume they are widely available, but if not, try "American Science and Surplus"

Problem is not really the door latch but the seals taking so much pressure to compress. Magnetic seals like a normal fridge has don't take pressure and would actually hold the fridge shut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Looking proper dapper. Will you make a windbreak for below the rocker?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

We haven't decided. Think if it's windy it won't stop much and if not windy it doesn't do much. Maybe once we see how the tent does with a little wind.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
BarryL wrote:

We haven't decided. Think if it's windy it won't stop much and if not windy it doesn't do much. Maybe once we see how the tent does with a little wind.

i think mine did really help especially in the colder months. mine came with the rocker spears, i replaced them with a channel for the wind breaker to slide into,

Uli

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Bus cleaned out and put away for the winter.

We loved the time we spent in the bus this short year.

Few things we want.

Outside table. Going to make it store under bench.
Inside clothes line on left side and towel bar on front cargo door.
Gas heater. Need it for cold weather camping without electrical.
Side step. Going to copy the type that go in the jack points.
Fold up solar panels. I have connections in the engine compartment.
Improve the fridge seals a bit and add a 1/2 wire rack in top.
Finish the side light lenses. I have material but may try 3D printing them.
Few tweeks to the awning and a wind break for bottom. We really liked the awning tent in cold weather.
Maybe swap the conversion battery with LiFePO4 cells. Could fit 200 ah where the 60 ah AGM is now with 1/3 the weight. Current battery can just get 20 hours of fridge though I think I can get more with some tweeking of the program.

Hopefully I will get all the stuff done early so we can get back out as soon as the salt is washed off the roads in the spring.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Sweet!
I really enjoy keeping up with your camper ideas.
The Lithium batteries sound like a really big improvement.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
...Fold up solar panels. I have connections in the engine compartment.
Maybe swap the conversion battery with LiFePO4 cells. Could fit 200 ah where the 60 ah AGM is now with 1/3 the weight.

I follow a bunch of youtube channels with campers going solar. Here is a source for really affordable, commercial panels. example for used 250W panels for $50 bucks.
https://store.santansolar.com/product/santan-solar-t-series-250w/

many of these commerical panels support the weight of a grown man walking on them. Maybe you could intergrate one into a cool roof rack? highest output rating for one panel i have seen is 400W. Those do run a little higher.

Uli

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

I follow a bunch of youtube channels with campers going solar. Here is a source for really affordable, commercial panels. example for used 250W panels for $50 bucks.

many of these commerical panels support the weight of a grown man walking on them. Maybe you could intergrate one into a cool roof rack? highest output rating for one panel i have seen is 400W. Those do run a little higher.

I have seen that site. There is another selling used Lithium batteries that is very cheep also.

Actually looking for something more like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Monocrystaline-Charging-Foldable-Caravanning-Motorhome/dp/B08HD162ZN
We would just take it when we are going to be stopped for a few days without power. There are also some thin flexible cells that could be stored under the rear bed cushion.
https://www.amazon.ca/XINPUGUANG-Controller-Connector-Alligator-Charging/dp/B07B9RKYJ9

I think 200W will be enough to keep us going in sunny weather. If We get a 200 ah battery it wont be a problem for weekends anyway.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I have seen that site. There is another selling used Lithium batteries that is very cheep also.

Actually looking for something more like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Monocrystaline-Charging-Foldable-Caravanning-Motorhome/dp/B08HD162ZN
We would just take it when we are going to be stopped for a few days without power. There are also some thin flexible cells that could be stored under the rear bed cushion.
https://www.amazon.ca/XINPUGUANG-Controller-Connector-Alligator-Charging/dp/B07B9RKYJ9

I think 200W will be enough to keep us going in sunny weather. If We get a 200 ah battery it wont be a problem for weekends anyway.

hmm, what about using one of those portable power stations instead? They have the battery built in, inverter built in, and should have plenty of storage where you do not even need the solar panels? just grab it when you think you need it, charge it up at home.... Does not weigh anything in the bus while it sits in the garage. Sure they cost you something like 1200 bucks, but they also power your fridge at the house when the power is out... 6 110 volt outlets if you need them

Uli

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Hope to start working on this again soon. Spring is coming. Smile

Did a test print of a side light lens. The filament I used is terrible to print with but was still impressed with how it came out. It looks and feels much better than it appears in the photos. Used a gyroid infill and it gives it a nice pattern. Will install it and see what it looks like when the bus gets back in the shop.

Needs to be thicker at contact surface with bracket so it will still have infill. I was going to try printing it solid but now thinking it will be too clear. May try chemical smoothing. The final print will be done at a higher quality so may not make much difference.

Light bracket https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=416

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

i like the appearance. with modern LEDs you can control the light temperature as well. white, yellow, etc.

Uli

PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Those look great!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

The light cover looks great!
Are you using a higher temperature 3D printer filament, like PETG?

PLA will warp badly in a bus parked in the sun.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
The light cover looks great!
Are you using a higher temperature 3D printer filament, like PETG?

PLA will warp badly in a bus parked in the sun.

This is PLA. A particularly bad quality PLA actually.

I have modified my printer to direct drive and all metal hot end so I can do the high heat and flexiables. Plan to get a roll of transparent Overture PETG. Apparently it prints very well. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SB761QR
I haven't tried PETG but I have ABS and thinking it should be fairly similar to print.

Think PLA would be ok for the side lights here as the bus will never go over 40c in the sun. My ashtray vase I am making will be ABS as PLA will definitely distort on the dash.

I'm quite new to the 3D printing thing. Having great fun. Lot of tests prints and experimenting but getting good results and making lots of usefull stuff.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Was the "mermaid" structural or a way of diffusing the light or just a sprue type brace"
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Was the "mermaid" structural or a way of diffusing the light or just a sprue type brace"

That is called supports in 3D printing. Overhangs can't be printed over a certain angle. This stuff tops out at around 65° with my part cooling so a support is printed to hold the printed material up.

The bottom platform is called a raft and is used for tall narrow items to keep them upright while printing

Both are printed so they break away easily.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Do the supports and raft form on their own through artificial intelligence or do you create them from experience?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 27

Jump to: