Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
peecee69 wrote:
They look really nice! Did you carve them, or are they available from some seller?

Made them with a 3D printer. Front ones are a little thicker than original.

That’s neat. I need to get into 3D printing. I’m still learning about my mill though. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Added solar power

We are going to do more off grid camping this year so needed extra power when we stay somewhere for more than a day without plugin.

Picked up two 120 watt panels. Actually they are probably 90 watt but was a good price for 90 watts. Smile Got flexible panels as they are thin and light. they store under the bed. I will shorten the leads and remove the eyelets so they wont be damaged when we sleep on them.

Using a small MPPT charge controller so the panels can run in series. MPPT is more efficient than PWM controllers as they allow the panels to run at their most efficient voltage. This charger only uses 4 ma when panels are disconnected also.

I had run wires to engine compartment for solar so just added a plug. Still need to make an extension cable so the panels can get out in the sun as we normally park in shady spots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

how about adding a small solar generator like a Jackery or a Bluetti? charge it at the house, and use the panels just to supplement. will probably run your camper for a couple of days.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
how about adding a small solar generator like a Jackery or a Bluetti? charge it at the house, and use the panels just to supplement. will probably run your camper for a couple of days.

Weight and storage space... and something else to deal with. We plug the bus in the night before a trip to insure conversion battery is fully charged.

I plan to swap out the 75ah (or maybe it was a 70) AGM conversion battery with a 280ah LiFePo4 bank. About the same size with just the 4 raw cells. That will give us a weekend of power to run everything. It will charge much faster when driving also as the AGM will only take about 28amp. The lithium will take everything the alternator will deliver. Also the lithium will be 1/3 the weight of current battery.

We Could also just put a block of ice in the fridge and get a weekend but that seems a little barbaric. haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Home to for a few days.

Nova Scotia had a covid outbreak so on lockdown untill numbers fall to single digits. So not being able to travel we made a camp site on our land. Still a little wet but we got stuck in the correct spot and level. Haha. Last week the river was up to where the bus is but the water dropped quite a bit.

Solar panels working great. Need to make a lightweight adjustable stand to aim them at the sun.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Bus recovery Smile

Needed to get it pointing out of the camp site before towing up the hill. These tiers are not made for mud. haha Maybe some gravel will make this process a little more convenient.

Got to use the correct jack today. Love how the jack points line up with the door hinges but once I got it angled correctly to clear the hinges it worked well.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

used to take our 61 crewcab everywhere, on stock 15 inch bias plies. when it got slippery like that we put it in gear and got out to push. The bus does what it can, it will not stall, and it won't be so fast that you can't jump back in it. when you are sitting in it you can't push....

glad you got it out without hurting it.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Few more details.

Towel bar we have been looking for. Nice quality and vintage look. Will be nice to not hang the dish towels on doors and mirrors.

Added a clothes line inside. We find when traveling we always have something wet to store. This is out of my view and close enough to the side that we won't hit our heads on the knobs. Used same knobs as curtains.

Found two good quality latches. Screw pattern is slightly different but still works. Very nice finish but needs a little grease as they stick sometimes. Now that I know they work I will try to find more to replace the cheap ones.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

That towel bar looks great, and for a careful person, I'm sure it's fine.
Me? I'm a big, clumsy f##k, I'd kill myself getting impaled while passing by.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
That towel bar looks great, and for a careful person, I'm sure it's fine.
Me? I'm a big, clumsy f##k, I'd kill myself getting impaled while passing by.

Haha. The shelves we likely be up when towel bar is out so that should cut down on the impaling some. Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Was asked where I found some items so adding them here

Cord 3/16". I see it is out of stock but a search for 3/16" shock cord should turn up some
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078NCS3T7
rings are made from a chrome toilet riser tube from local hardware store cut to 1/4" lengths. Use a pipe cutter
https://www.amazon.ca/BrassCraft-1-12DE-NSP-Copper-Nosepiece/dp/B00NP3JZ0A

Towel rack
https://www.amazon.ca/Decko-38190-Swing-Kitchen-Chrome/dp/B0014XTJ2W

Knobs. cant remember where i found the adapter studs
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B91Z9SP

Latch. they are back in stock so ordered enough to replace remainder of my cheap ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MDWBW0
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Finally got the awning poles hooked to the bumpers.

Rear hole I copied westy position.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1738281

After a lot of thought I put the front hole on front of bumper. It works better than behind the over rider. Plenty of room for the door to open on first stop and not bounce into pole. lot easier to set up also.

I am going to make some cords to hook into bumper holes and awning that will prevent wind from picking it up.

Now I just need to tig the pole ends and paint around bumper holes

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Wife made an insulating panel for the metal wall. The steel gets very cold on cold nights. Was down to freezing at night last outing.

Panel is double layers of quilting and magnets along top to hold in place. should make sleeping next to the left side a little more comfortable on cold nights.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Wife added magnets to the awning sides. Small rectangular rare earth magnets sewn into the hem. Will work well in light wind.

We decided to add a zipper to awning front. The magnets are not strong enough to hold the front sections together. Currently we use some binder clips to keep our "door" closed at night

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Was going to mark the newly cut poles so we could tell them apart. Turns out the are exactly the same length. I thought about trying to make them the same but figured it wouldn't work out so didn't try. Haha

Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my camper interior and re-read your very impressive topic to get more motivation even if I know I won't get the same result Smile

My question is how do you maintain/attach your cushions on the wood (bed)? I see no vertical nor horizontal attaches or grips or, or... and it looks like you can remove it when you want...

Thank you for your tip and enjoy your travels!
braddick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed following your interior build
Looking fantastic and quality work
Cheers
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Stephbong wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my camper interior and re-read your very impressive topic to get more motivation even if I know I won't get the same result Smile

My question is how do you maintain/attach your cushions on the wood (bed)? I see no vertical nor horizontal attaches or grips or, or... and it looks like you can remove it when you want...

Thank you for your tip and enjoy your travels!

The cushions are not attached. We do have some rubber grip stuff under the seats to stop them moving when sitting on them. https://www.amazon.ca/Duck-1100392-Non-Adhesive-Select-Shelf/dp/B00OH7M7IK

The bench tops are slanted back and the backrest are leaned back so gravity keeps them there.

Hasn't been a problem except the front bench backrest usually falls down when driving. We plan to sew some magnets in it to stop that.
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Great good to know, thank you it helps!
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Very cool set up!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: