Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Quilt update. Wife has been busy today. Haha.

7 blocks done.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Wow - very impressive!

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Last of the panels ruff fitted.

Mid ceiling panel was a little difficult to get in. I installed it and tapped it forward. Used some scraps to ramp it up on the rib and over the vent. Took a little work to get the vent cover on. Plywood is a little thick. I may thin it slightly with a belt sander when I have it out.

Put the rear corner panel back in. The stiffener helped a little.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Panels all sanded and ready for finish.

40 grit paper on a long board works very well for getting the waves out of the edges. Also 40 grit by hand works nicely for smothing curves.

Testing the amber shellac. Dryes fast. Color looks great. In the photo it has two coats on the left. The dark spots are where it is still wet.

Edit: I applied the shellac with a cloth and it went on nice.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

It sure looks original on my screen.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I quit like it. Looks a bit more golden than the photo. I need to find some dewaxed shellac to put over it and then poly to seal it. Think it is going to be exactly what I hoped for color.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Had a little time so started applying sound deadener.

Using Kilmat as it is cheep and light while still quite effective. Very happy with it. Sticks well, easy to cut and no smell.

I want to keep the weight down so not covering everything. Small patches will deaden most of the vibration. Quit amazed at how well it works. I nocked on the panel before and after and it makes a huge difference.

I should have put two full pieces on the rear panels though. They are very noisy and a single piece in the middle wasn't enough. Added some more and it did the trick.

I am going to cover all the rear deck and rear floor as they are covered by plywood but not sure about the rear fenders and firewall (or whatever its called on these). They will show when the seat is part way out or looking inside the right cabinet.

Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Very cool. Looking to do something similar to my bus down the road.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I quit like it. Looks a bit more golden than the photo. I need to find some dewaxed shellac to put over it and then poly to seal it. Think it is going to be exactly what I hoped for color.

There's a guy near where I live that has been duplicating Westy interiors for years and he tops off with beeswax.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Had a little time so started applying sound deadener.

I want to keep the weight down so not covering everything. Small patches will deaden most of the vibration. Quit amazed at how well it works. I nocked on the panel before and after and it makes a huge difference.

back in the day they used 6x6 or so pieces of heavy tar mat the same way.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
I am going to cover all the rear deck and rear floor as they are covered by plywood but not sure about the rear fenders and firewall (or whatever its called on these).

My '60 had Dynamat Extreme applied to this area as well as behind the interior panels. I was looking for something under my rear bench/bed seat a few days ago and noticed a few bulges in the Dynamat. I pushed on it and it felt spongy. I made a slice in th Dynamat and out came some liquid! I don't think it was water as it was -7C. I've since removed all the Dynamt. There was some surface rust starting in some areas. I'm now working on cleaning up all the residue...

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
sgellis wrote:
I am going to cover all the rear deck and rear floor as they are covered by plywood but not sure about the rear fenders and firewall (or whatever its called on these).

My '60 had Dynamat Extreme applied to this area as well as behind the interior panels. I was looking for something under my rear bench/bed seat a few days ago and noticed a few bulges in the Dynamat. I pushed on it and it felt spongy. I made a slice in th Dynamat and out came some liquid! I don't think it was water as it was -7C. I've since removed all the Dynamt. There was some surface rust starting in some areas. I'm now working on cleaning up all the residue...

are you saying you have a leak around your rear hatch? like many people do? Might be time to fix it?

Uli

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Joey wrote:
sgellis wrote:

are you saying you have a leak around your rear hatch? like many people do? Might be time to fix it?

The bus hasn't been in the rain or washed in over two years. I did degrease and wash the engine/fuel tank compartment the fall of 2017.

The Dynamat was poorly applied. Lots of small pieces with gaps and overlaps.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Sound deadener on. 50 sq feet was just enough to do the roof and sides. Forgot when I ordered it I wasn't planning to put Kilmat on the floor and deck.

I put a little extra over the front seats. Figure it may help a little with wind noise. Put a little on the nose. Made sure it wouldn't show over the parcel tray.

Amazing how much different it sounds when shutting the doors. Nice solid sound.

Last edited by sgellis on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Started running some wire.

I ran wire for the dome lights, fan and control, dome light switch and a 4x20 gauge to the dash incase I need them later. I found some small gromits for the holes I had to drill.

I was planning to add two speaker wires for hidden speakers in the dash to a Bluetooth amp but not enough room in the top of B pillar for more wire. If I do add sound I will figure something out.

Last edited by sgellis on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Sound deadener on. 50 sq feet was just enough to do the roof and sides. Forgot when I ordered it I wasn't planning to put Kilmat on the floor and deck.

I put a little extra over the front seats. Figure it may help a little with wind noise. Put a little on the nose. Made sure it wouldn't show over the parcel tray.

Amazing how much different it sounds when shutting the doors. Nice solid sound.

Very nice job! I wish mine was done so neatly.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
mandraks wrote:

The bus hasn't been in the rain or washed in over two years. I did degrease and wash the engine/fuel tank compartment the fall of 2017.

The Dynamat was poorly applied. Lots of small pieces with gaps and overlaps.

interesting! where do you think the moisture is coming from? can't be condensation?

Uli

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Quilt Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Didn't like the way the ceiling panels went in. The spacers likes to tip up when installing.

Added a strip of plywood to to them and will screw the plywood to the ribs. Will make it easier to slide the panels in.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis, it's great to see your wife and kitty get to be a part of this great build Very Happy

sgellis wrote:
Quilt Smile

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 27

Jump to: