Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

I've used one of your pictures and added some measurements
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nut has 13mm
v-groove therefore has 9mm...10mm (well my paint graphic does suck and there is a optical distortion)

At least not a pulley for a 11.3mm belt and I'm pretty sure, that's your problem.
11.3mm belt not fully seated in 10mm belt pulley.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
You Can use a mirror to take that alignment shot, but I can see it isn’t aligned.

That is because you are in NY and the bus is in VA. Things always look skewed from NY.

It does look skewed right. How does it look from CA, or can you not see through the smog?

Back to you...steve

Very Happy
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Although it would seem there are conflicting arguments, it now seems like I have multiple problems and there may not be an only-just-one-thing at fault. Thank you to everyone.

I have pulley alignment issues AND a belt width issue. Given that it now seems likely that I have my original 38 Amp generator pulley I need a generator belt even though I've have an alternator conversion.

Am I clear that the 71 38Amp generator pulley requires a 111903137D 9.5 X 905mm belt?

The engine builder/installer in Wytheville VA has referred me to his friend's shop in Chilhowie, VA and has delivered an alternator pulley and an original VW alternator stand. I have German Continental 9.5 X 905 belts on the way, new 11.3 X 912 belts on hand and my bus made it to the Chilhowie shop today without twisting a belt. (I didn't drive over 50 - 55mph).

Things are looking good for Buttercup.
2003 Westfalia "Tourmaline" (sold)
2021 MB Metris Getaway “TheDarkSide”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
You Can use a mirror to take that alignment shot, but I can see it isn’t aligned.

That is because you are in NY and the bus is in VA. Things always look skewed from NY.

It does look skewed right. How does it look from CA, or can you not see through the smog?

Back to you...steve

Very Happy

we have no smog here anymore. Arnold & Jerry forced catalytic convertors on everyone and installed a carbon tax. That said the fire smoke is worse than the smog ever was but that is Ok with Jerry as long as he doesn't notice because he is so focused on raising utility rates to pay for his tunnels to send water to his political buddies in SoCal, and to build his bullet train - if they ever choose a route. The sky is the color of this page right now from the smoke. It is hazy and burns the eyes too.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Just install a generator pulley and one that’s quality. Those $7 jobs will leave you stranded. Then get the 905 belt and be happy once the alignment issue is satisfied
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Back to you...steve

Very Happy

we have no smog here anymore. Arnold & Jerry forced catalytic convertors on everyone and installed a carbon tax. That said the fire smoke is worse than the smog ever was but that is Ok with Jerry as long as he doesn't notice because he is so focused on raising utility rates to pay for his tunnels to send water to his political buddies in SoCal, and to build his bullet train - if they ever choose a route. The sky is the color of this page right now from the smoke. It is hazy and burns the eyes too.

The transformation from the 60s and 70s is amazing isn’t it? Those fires are scary, though. I’m selling our Laguna Beach place since family is moving back east for sunset retirement since Dad passed and I will miss it in winter. I won’t miss traffic..I usually had to pound my way up to LA to help relieve clients of the burden of their cash. Hundreds of dollars per hour just to tell people if you promote unskilled and untrained managers, good people will leave.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

I saw my bus today on the lift at the shop and discovered the following:

Neither pulley was true. Both pulleys replaced. I saw a VW logo on the new crank pulley, but don't know the vintage of the new alternator pulley. There had been a spacer between the alt pulley and the alt that had to be removed. 9.5 x 905mm belts were too short, but the 11.3 x 912 was just right -- *after* adding several more shims between the alt pulley halves. A mirror in the right place now shows perfect pulley alignment. It was started briefly and the belt doesn't flop anymore when it turns. It looks like a classic all-is-well-that-ends-well, but I don't want to jinx it. The proof won't come until I drive it at 65mph for 50 miles and check the belt.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

I’m betting that you fixed it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Now sometimes it makes this osculating vibrating noise and sometime it doesn't. The following is a link to an audio wave file. It should play in your web browser without having to download it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gUlBBKHLce5nbBzxf-w2Aka2yMoy1zXI/view?usp=sharing

. . .heard this noise before? It's like having a lawn mower running in my back seat and it isn't running that great either.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

make sure the strap on the alternator, and that the shroud side bolts are tight.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

The strap on the alternator and the shroud side bolts are verified tight and I can't move the fan shroud or the alternator without loosening anything.

I'm *guessing* the fan is just too close the shroud now that my pulleys line up. I'm *guessing* I'll have to loosen the alternator strap and push OR pull a milometer or 2 and hope I don't put my pulleys out of alignment and start throwing belts again.

I"m discouraged by the fact that people much more knowledgeable than myself have already tried that.

The hard part is knowing if the fan is interfering with the backing plate or the firewall side of the shroud and if moving the alternator would change anything since the backing plate would follow the alternator when I move it. That's how I visualize it in my mental simulation anyway.

If you couldn't hear much in my recording let me know. I'll dig out a better recorder. The noise I hear is not so much of the screeching noise as the fan rubs but an oscillation like something is way out of balance or out of round.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Here is a much better recording of the Whomp, whomp, whomp vibration/noise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CFmjt4LrQ4tVuwUzv_SGukvPfzUfK-2_/view?usp=sharing

It is an mp3 file that should play in your web browser. Of course, I usually tell people all day *not* to click on anything that says "click here," but click there please.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles [Solved] Reply with quote

[Solved] This problem devolved during the long troubleshooting process and multiple attempts to fix it made it worse, but in the end the source of my problem seems to be that the fan vibrated so much that the pulley alignment would drift after running the engine for a while. The second fan was much worse than the wobbly one it replaced.

I couldn't source an OEM German fan --only Brazilian aftermarket, but I ended up getting one of those from Gene Berg that had been welded and balanced to ensure I was at least getting a balanced one with the hole actually-in-the- center that wouldn't wobble so much. I had a similar problem sourcing a good enough alternator pulley, but eventually found a straight OEM used one. The too tight belt and all that vibration *may have* ruined my Alt bearings as well further contributing to the vibration, so as possible overkill I sourced a new Mexican Bosch Alt and now vibration is minimal and my pulley stays in alignment. I don't know that my Alt was damaged, but I just wanted to get it over with and be done with it replacing Alt, fan and pulley all-at-once.

I have been driving it a couple of months and all seems well regarding the fan and pulley alignment.

Now on to my fuel sender and so on. I can't find anyone who wants to touch that.
---end---
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Another factor is the alternator pulley itself. Virtually ALL aftermarket units are junk - they aren't concentric with the alternator shaft. If you watch them closely, they move in an elliptical orbit, causing the belt to loosen and tighten as it turns. This creates horrible vibrations which will eventually destroy the belt, the pulley and sooner or later the rear alternator bearing. I inspected maybe seven pulleys before I found one which would run true. That's bad QC!

Never had this problem with an OG pulley...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

You call it bad QC, manager calls it manufacturing to price point.

Laughing

Thanks for imput as always, Telford.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Another factor is the alternator pulley itself. Virtually ALL aftermarket units are junk - they aren't concentric with the alternator shaft. If you watch them closely, they move in an elliptical orbit, causing the belt to loosen and tighten as it turns. This creates horrible vibrations which will eventually destroy the belt, the pulley and sooner or later the rear alternator bearing. I inspected maybe seven pulleys before I found one which would run true. That's bad QC!

Never had this problem with an OG pulley...

My rear alt bearing gave out. BAD. It hadn't been burning through belts that quick though. I was getting 1k-2k and my bearing only lasted about 3k miles. I bought the cheapest available alternator lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

NO! No dished backing plate for the alternator. Those were for the 38 amp generator ONLY! All Alternator conversion kits on the market come with the proper backing plate for the conversion. I betting if your alt was installed as a kit the backing plate is correct already.

What has me puzzled is why after loosening just the alternator clamp you have so much movement of the fan shroud? sounds to me like there is a lot more going on here. Question
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

The correct NON-dished backing plate was used. I've only driven it a few hundred miles since the last intervention, but I'll be checking the belt often until I *know* it is rock solid reliable --and then I will keep checking it for good measure. I didn't mention it, but an OEM VW Alt stand was also used in the last fix.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles [Solved] Reply with quote

grapedaddy wrote:
Now on to my fuel sender and so on.

It's rather unfortunate you didn't deal with that while the engine was out for the alternator work. Do the vapor lines and filler neck hose at the same time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bus --2 alternator belts in 50 miles Reply with quote

Pulling the gas tank for all that and replacing that fuel sender was in the work order a couple of times. Mechanics in Salem, Wytheville and Chillhowie Virginia wouldn't do it. At least they told me that up front before they tried it and made a bigger mess. Apparently, there isn't much profit margin in pulling gas tanks. I can't do it and most of you guys are just too far away. USA VA 24210
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: