Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

an observation - in this moment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

my favorite type 1 models
1930 to 9/52 KDF style splits
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
10/52 Zwitter TO 8/57 Oval Dash models
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
1958 to 1961, no gas gauge, big window
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
1962 to 1967, big window, USA versions
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
1968 to 1979, USA versions
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
all Type 1 models
34%
 34%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 52

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

When thinking of the reasons I am so enamored with split bugs - is because I am living in / thinking of the great times of the past - not realizing, not even separating myself from those wonderful times...

Ovals are the rut i'm in as I have 3.

BUT once I separate myself from the past and consciously live in this moment - all year " air-cooled" models become interesting...

Are all model years of air cooled beetles, interesting to you?
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

"Are all model years of beetles, interesting to you?"

Yes!, all the REAL Beetles. Water cooled Audi's...….NO
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
When thinking of the reasons I am so enamored with split bugs - is because I am living in / thinking of the great times of the past - not realizing, not even separating myself from those wonderful times...

BUT once I separate myself from the past and consciously live in this moment - all year models become interesting...

Are all model years of beetles, interesting to you?

You remember the shit storm that happened when people at VVWCA couldn’t wrap their brains around accepting so called big window 58 bugs ? I do. Very Happy

Times have changed but I still draw the line at water cooled. I care nothing about those cars, once upon a time I drew that line at 1968 the year Heinz Nordoff died. I’ve softened over the years and now I just don’t care if you drive a diesel rabbit it’s cool. My oldest bug is a 54 newest is 74 and that works for me. Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

... To me, all type 1, beetles are from conception to 1979... I dub the more recent, water cooled ones as "new beetles" - i'm not in love with them yet... thanks for the clarification, though.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

BUT once I separate myself from the past and consciously live in this moment - all year models become interesting...

You remember the shit storm that happened when people at VVWCA couldn’t wrap their brains around accepting so called big window 58 bugs ? I do. Very Happy

Times have changed but I still draw the line at water cooled. I care nothing about those cars, once upon a time I drew that line at 1968 the year Heinz Nordoff died. I’ve softened over the years and now I just don’t care if you drive a diesel rabbit it’s cool. My oldest bug is a 54 newest is 74 and that works for me. Very Happy

Heck, I remember in 1976, in Pittsfield, Mass. at the first East Coast Chapter of the VVWCA - my brother went in his 1952 Zwitter and I in my 1955 11G - those were the great times, I was referring to.
Oh yes, you are so correct - in 1983 the VVWCA had a vote to see if we all wanted the new 25 year old beetles to be recognized by the club... it was a close yes - that's progress - that's history being made.
LOL, the water-cooled ones are "NEW Beetles" - a whole different category - not there yet.
... is very interesting that (so far) no one has voted in the '58 to '61 category - maybe there are some good deals to be had there...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Helfen wrote:

... To me, all type 1, beetles are from conception to 1979... I dub the more recent, water cooled ones as "new beetles" - i'm not in love with them yet... thanks for the clarification, though.

All real Beetles to me are 1938-2003. A Mexican Beetle is still a Beetle and while the fit and finish wasn't as good as a German counterpart they are still a decent car.
Also like ZENVWDRIVER I don't mind VW Golf/Rabbit, especially 74-76 models which you hardly see these days for sale. Like the Beetle they are a sound car, and unlike the water cooled Beetle they don't pretend to be a Beetle and they stand on their own laurels. Remember they only took a just few years to make the 4 million mark while it took the original Beetle much longer. It's too bad that not too many people collect them or Audi 60's or 100 LS which were great cars if you couldn't afford a Mercedes or BMW.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

[quote="Zundfolge1432"]
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

I was # 84 member of VVWCA. I had and still have my 64 113 and my 65 111. They both were not eligible to participate in shows, but I knew in time they would. The thing I liked about the club was that it was finally a VW club that had a great mission statement and followed that mission statement. All the other VW clubs were into modified cars and finally I found a club that was into VW's that adhered to what the factory and it's creator Dr. Porsche were all about. First starting on the west coast, the club split into a east west situation and then finally going to the east coast. For us on the west coast after that it died probably out of a no representation feeling and it being so far away .
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

You mean, World War II?? Confused

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

No, he means 1946-1953
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Most changes VW made to the body made it uglier and cheaper as time went on.
Mechanically they kept improving until German production ended.

in this moment I'm working on 1978 bus ball joints, and, I like it!!
As long as I don't look at the rest of this heap. This front beam in a work of art.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
sb001 wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

No, he means 1946-1953

Oh, the KOREAN war. Gotcha Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

I like all Type 1s, but didn't vote in the poll because there is no choice for my favorite span of years which is up through 1964.

My most favorites, however, are up through the ovals, so 1938 thru '57.

I don't consider any WCs in the same league. I had a '79 Rabbit back in '84, and although a great, solid car, isn't what I think of when I think VW. The newer cars are even further removed.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I like all Type 1s, but didn't vote in the poll because there is no choice for my favorite span of years which is up through 1964.

My most favorites, however, are up through the ovals, so 1938 thru '57.

I don't consider any WCs in the same league. I had a '79 Rabbit back in '84, and although a great, solid car, isn't what I think of when I think VW. The newer cars are even further removed.

... oh sorry - for me, 1962 through 1967, includes 1964, but I guess you're sayin' up to 1964 only - And again, in my mind there is another breakdown. Having had 4 pre-9/52(KDF) splits. The oval dash cars, starting with 10/52 Zwitter through 1957s are in a category all their own. And sure each year had their subtle differences... had a Zwitter from 1992 to 2011 - in my mind, is really very oval-ish... currently, our 3/55 is very Zwitter-ish... can't pinpoint everyone's peculiarities...

... Actually, my fave was up to 3/55 or non-euro semaphore cars ...

Then, I had a revelation, living in this very moment, helped me view all years with equanimity to 1979... please realize my limitations and cast a poll vote, sometime - if your mind allows.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Personal favorite years are the 1958, 59. For overall quality and aesthetic. Even though they're "big window" cars I feel like the 1960's cars really are a product of the 1960's and a lot of the bug's basic, efficient charm got "upgraded" out by the mid 1960's. To me these cars feel like the epitome of "beetlness" of getting the most utility out of the least materials - of being the most practical with what was available, without being frivolous, but also without sacrificing anything of practical value (like rearward vision).

The splits and ovals, honestly, feel like very old cars even for their own era, they also feel like they're in some ways, not quite doing the concept complete justice (if that makes any sense). You might argue that what beetle could be more "pure" beetle than a split? But the splits were cars for the 1930's, not cars for the 50's. They were not really of their era in the same way the ovals and early big window cars were of their era.

I think to understand this, you have to put these cars alongside the likes of a Fiat 600 and Citroen ID19, or similar and just sort of appreciate the aura of European cars of the late 1950's.

My second favorite era? Oddly enough is the 1968-69. These are the cleanest, least cluttered, of all the beetles (from the outside anyway). Yeah, they don't have the charm of the earlier cars, but they objectively look better than anything that came before or anything that came after. After '69 the cars get more cluttered up as more things are tacked on as afterthoughts - but for '68-'69 the styling is so simple and neat, these cars always stand out when they're kept stock and clean. No towel rails, no horn grills, no 5mph bumpers, clean deck lid, no toenail vents.

TBH I find the '64-'67 cars feel somewhat "cobbled" together, with random changes here and there. Whereas '58 and '68 are almost like "clean sheet" years. Where it's the same concept, but with a cohesive refresh instead of a thing here and thing there randomly bolted on.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Could it be that people are most comfortable with the years they owned. In my case my brother had a well worn 59 in 72 and he let me drive a couple of times but my first real car was a 74 and I got it with 6,000 miles on the odometer. Like any kid would do I ruined it but back then you could buy nice VWs for way less than 2 grand. I came into possession of a 74 basket case project car about five years ago. Been enjoying that since
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Personal favorite years are the 1958, 59. For overall quality and aesthetic. Even though they're "big window" cars I feel like the 1960's cars really are a product of the 1960's and a lot of the bug's basic, efficient charm got "upgraded" out by the mid 1960's. To me these cars feel like the epitome of "beetlness" of getting the most utility out of the least materials - of being the most practical with what was available, without being frivolous, but also without sacrificing anything of practical value (like rearward vision).

The splits and ovals, honestly, feel like very old cars even for their own era, they also feel like they're in some ways, not quite doing the concept complete justice (if that makes any sense). You might argue that what beetle could be more "pure" beetle than a split? But the splits were cars for the 1930's, not cars for the 50's. They were not really of their era in the same way the ovals and early big window cars were of their era.

I think to understand this, you have to put these cars alongside the likes of a Fiat 600 and Citroen ID19, or similar and just sort of appreciate the aura of European cars of the late 1950's.

My second favorite era? Oddly enough is the 1968-69. These are the cleanest, least cluttered, of all the beetles (from the outside anyway). Yeah, they don't have the charm of the earlier cars, but they objectively look better than anything that came before or anything that came after. After '69 the cars get more cluttered up as more things are tacked on as afterthoughts - but for '68-'69 the styling is so simple and neat, these cars always stand out when they're kept stock and clean. No towel rails, no horn grills, no 5mph bumpers, clean deck lid, no toenail vents.

TBH I find the '64-'67 cars feel somewhat "cobbled" together, with random changes here and there. Whereas '58 and '68 are almost like "clean sheet" years. Where it's the same concept, but with a cohesive refresh instead of a thing here and thing there randomly bolted on.

... a lot of valid points there - I think, there will be no unanimous point of view - am enjoying all the alternate views - just, no one way to view anything... thankfully, we are all different - is great.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Could it be that people are most comfortable with the years they owned. In my case my brother had a well worn 59 in 72 and he let me drive a couple of times but my first real car was a 74 and I got it with 6,000 miles on the odometer. Like any kid would do I ruined it but back then you could buy nice VWs for way less than 2 grand. I came into possession of a 74 basket case project car about five years ago. Been enjoying that since

... maybe that's y, you are such a bright and positive guy - it's from that "sun-like" yellow bug - what a pleasant color...
... this was my first bug - my dad got it for me as a left over 1965... complete with no radio... in my final year of HS, 1966

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

The later years got a little bulky.
The 6 volts is a treat, and the 36 hp does the job.
The turbo 01 NB was a fun drive, with the auto spoiler. Buck thirty plus and was still accelerating.
Water pump put and end to it
Lifted Jetta TDI is a hoot out on logging trails.
Bus ride height is up there with the suv minivan mob and way more fun.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

I will always be the most impressed with a stock early beetle- about 52-55. I have owned 2 66’s, a 65, and now a 1960. But I always WANTED a late split or an oval. Earlier than that, and I worry I would never really drive it- like it should be in a museum.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: an observation - in this moment Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I will always be the most impressed with a stock early beetle- about 52-55. I have owned 2 66’s, a 65, and now a 1960. But I always WANTED a late split or an oval. Earlier than that, and I worry I would never really drive it- like it should be in a museum.

-
We have had most generations of beetles and a 1960 has a great mixture of old and new-school... I think is a great one to experience - there is a little early KDF and oval in a '60.

Consider yourself lucky, you don't have something much earlier than a 56 as the prices are crazy-high., these days. I sure am glad, I had my KDF-style bugs in the very-reasonably-priced-70s and 80s... ovals after that.

I think, there will be a future-time when, even 1958 to '61 no-gas-gauge-model-VWs will be untouchable. More modern sixty-twos and later will follow.

... Seems you're headed in the right direction from 1966 to 1965 to 1960 - again, '60s were a great one... last year for the trafficator, A 1930s concept.

Here's a '60 Euro, we had a few years ago... with last of the '30s designed trafficators, semaphores...

Go out and drive a pre-9/52 KDF-style-bug sometime - you'll be glad to have the experience. I have had a few people stop by, to ask if they could drive our '55 and the pleasure was all mine - can't imagine a VW- brotha' denying you that experience

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: