Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm Thinking Rat Rod
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtChado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: I'm Thinking Rat Rod Reply with quote

So I have a '73 Super. I picked her up about 7 years ago and drove her for about 2 years and started having electrical problems. I am still chasing those down but I don't think it's anything major just some poorly done splices etc. In chasing the wires I discovered the previous owner had done some considerable work...... covering up some serious rust. It's not so bad I can't drive it but fixing it all would not be worth it seeing as it was rear-ended as well. So my plan is to Rat rod it until I can find a better body to drop the drivetrain in, where I have put most of the work in.

I do have a few questions. First does anyone make any front beam extenders? I saw some were made a few years ago but is there anywhere to get them now? I plan on leaving the decklid on, or at least most of it so that I don't have to worry about rain in the carb. If I am chopping the back and the sides do I need to worry about overheating? Anything else I need to know before starting this? I don't plan on chopping it or putting a ton of money or time into this as I said there are rust issues. Thanks!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: I'm Thinking Rat Rod Reply with quote

Yes they do make beam extensions for ratrod cars, but your super does not have a beam so you are SOL unless you convert the pan to take a beam....
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: I'm Thinking Rat Rod Reply with quote

Here is the basic problem with a Rat Rod Super.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hood and windshield dwarf all other aspects of the car once you remove the front fenders.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: I'm Thinking Rat Rod Reply with quote

Quote:
Hood and windshield dwarf all other aspects of the car once you remove the front fenders.

that, and the fenders play a part in supporting the strut front end. so cross braces would be needed to keep it from feeling loosey goosey in the steering

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: