Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

My name is Chuck and I joined several years ago and have been reading and enjoying everyone's posts and advice and adventures. I have just obtained my first VW Van and am starting my Restoration next month on my vacation. I really REALLY love the look of bare metal. I know it's difficult. I know not everyone likes the bare metal look! I know some people hate it. I love it and want to keep it in bare metal.

But I really need advice here please.

How can I keep my '71 Bay Window bus in bare metal without it rusting immediately? Could you please offer advice on how I can make this work?

Thank you kindly!

--Brother Chuck

Not my photos, but this is the look I'm interested in:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Seems like clear coat would work for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

try asking over in the Body/Paint forum https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
Could you please offer advice on how I can make this work?

Move to Arizona.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I really dig the stripes on your bus now. Those are pure gold. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I've use the linked product from Troy Trepanier "metal protectant" before when I was trying to protect bare metal. My experience has been very good with it and it is much easier to apply and remove than a coat of clear.

https://radrides.com/merchandise/

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I hope you don't find a patchwork of crash repair welding and bondo. Smile
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Gibbs Brand Lubricant - Hot Rod folks use it on their bare metal cars with great results. Just rub it on.

http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I've heard the troy trepannier stuff is the gibbs brand repackaged.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

You can build it out of alclad aluminum like Boeing does

Then all you have to do is keep it polished

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alclad
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I dig the stripes too. And you can name it Charlie Smile
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Take a piece of old sheet metal, bring out the shine, give it a once over with Ospho then clear coat and see if you like the finish.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Clear coat
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

I have had more than a few people suggest I try a product called GIBBS, after I have the bare metal ready, cleaned and dry then I apply GIBBS.

Anyone have experience with this product? Question

--Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

lots of folks. It was designed for aluminum and magnesium which also oxidize. Just apply to steel on a regular schedule. If you want something more permanent several folks recommended painting with a clear coat.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Seven cans of 3M Super 77 and twelve boxes of Reynolds Wrap. Hand rub out the wrinkles before the adhesive sets.

Done.
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

The more people I speak with who have bare metal VW buses, the more I’m hearing Rust can form very easily under the clear coating and spread in a matter of days.

Any recommendations on how to fight that from happening? I’m NOT a rust expert so I appreciate the guidance.

—Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

Find someone with a spray metal welder and have them spray your rig with zinc and the clear coat it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
The more people I speak with who have bare metal VW buses, the more I’m hearing Rust can form very easily under the clear coating and spread in a matter of days.

Any recommendations on how to fight that from happening? I’m NOT a rust expert so I appreciate the guidance.

—Brother Chuck

there is no way to stop it. clear coat is NOT a sealant like epoxy primer is. lots of science here that I don't have time to type but clear will not stop the spread of any of it.

some guys rub them down with oils (linseed) but that has to be done all the time....and good luck getting paint to ever stick properly if you go that route

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bare Metal Bay Window 1971 (How can I do this?) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SatireChuck wrote:

—Brother Chuck

there is no way to stop it. clear coat is NOT a sealant like epoxy primer is. lots of science here that I don't have time to type but clear will not stop the spread of any of it.

some guys rub them down with oils (linseed) but that has to be done all the time....and good luck getting paint to ever stick properly if you go that route
You sir, are no Raygreenwood..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: