Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Extra fuses and connection
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: 84 Extra fuses and connection Reply with quote

In my 84 I have a few additional fuses on the right, I'm assuming one is for the rear window heater and the other is from the rear window wiper although I don't think one was ever installed. The connections seem to be jumped on the back of the small fuse box, so I'm not sure if a fuse should be there or not. The empty black plug seems to be coming from the white fuse that is in the additional spot and I'm guessing that should be connected to something somewhere but I can't find anything to connect it too, perhaps wiring from the window heater or from the switch to turn it on?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Extra fuses and connection Reply with quote

I found the info from GoWesty - your #10 heater/blower fuse looks blown. The #10 slot (from left to right) has also melted the fuse holder itself. Mine did the same but was worse than what you have there.

Rear Window heating
Rear Window Wiper
Entire heater
Overheating switch.

A/C fuses 25A located to the left of steering column.

http://www.gowesty.com/files/GVW-FUSE85%20-%20Fuse%20Replacement%20Kit,%2080-85.pdf
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 84 Extra fuses and connection Reply with quote

The heater blower often blows because the motor bearing is seized.

Sometimes it can be lubed and freed up w/o removing the dash.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Extra fuses and connection Reply with quote

Hmm, I assumed I had bad wiper motors. My heater seems to work fine but then again I live in South Carolina so I never used it as I haven’t had it in the winter yet months yet and may not even then. Perhaps I’ll see if it blows again if I turn the heater on or the wipers. Or would it blow regardless of switch position? I have a plethora of these fuses so losing another one isn’t a big deal.

I don’t think this van ever had AC so perhaps that spot was always just empty. How do you differentiate between at right of panel or left of steering column. I know I have a rear window heater so I was assuming positions 13 and 14. Or is the fuse panel actually longer in those cases?
banksdaname
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Extra fuses and connection Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

The heater blower often blows because the motor bearing is seized.

Sometimes it can be lubed and freed up w/o removing the dash.

This is a shot in the dark being an old thread but I have some extra fuses myself but the the diagram doesnt quite match what I have. Where did you get this diagram from? Is there more info on extra fuse positions there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: