Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twisted CV Boot
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

I repacked my CV’s and replaced the boots recently on my ‘69 Bus. I used Empi silicone boots. I went to check the torque on the CV bolts the other day after about 500km of driving, and I noticed one of the outer boots was twisted about 180* around the shaft. It twisted enough to cause 2 small rips in the boot right near the end. The CV end of the boot is fine and where it should be. Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what might cause it? I was on my way camping when I noticed it, so I twisted it back into the correct position and after another 400km I see it’s folded up again. What gives? I don’t have the small ends clamped, but it seems lots of people don’t bother clamping them. The boot is quite tight on the axle shaft- I had to pry under the lip with a flat screwdriver to get it to twist back into shape. Maybe clamps will fix it. But why only issues with the one boot?
10 points to whoever quotes the “I used Empi silicone boots” part and says that’s the problem. But there’s got to be something I’m missing here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

I would untwist and clamp them then monitor after each drive.

(I totally missed the lower job Embarassed )

Last edited by WildIdea on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

Put a layer of grease on shaft under the lip of the small end of the boot so it doesn’t stick. Since the cv joint can’t rotate independently of the shaft, the boot must be walking as it moves up and down. Grease would keep it from sticking to the shaft and keep it straight

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

is your bus lowered?
it appears that the boot may have been making contact with the frame rail above it.. a spinning axle and an immobile object would twist the boot.

return your bus to proper ride height. turn your hat with the brim facing forward and pull your pants/shorts up above your hips. lowered bays don't make you cool. just driving a bay makes you cool.

CanStan wrote:
I repacked my CV’s and replaced the boots recently on my ‘69 Bus. I used Empi silicone boots. I went to check the torque on the CV bolts the other day after about 500km of driving, and I noticed one of the outer boots was twisted about 180* around the shaft. It twisted enough to cause 2 small rips in the boot right near the end. The CV end of the boot is fine and where it should be. Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what might cause it? I was on my way camping when I noticed it, so I twisted it back into the correct position and after another 400km I see it’s folded up again. What gives? I don’t have the small ends clamped, but it seems lots of people don’t bother clamping them. The boot is quite tight on the axle shaft- I had to pry under the lip with a flat screwdriver to get it to twist back into shape. Maybe clamps will fix it. But why only issues with the one boot?
10 points to whoever quotes the “I used Empi silicone boots” part and says that’s the problem. But there’s got to be something I’m missing here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

It sure looks like the axle & boot is slamming into the frame above. You're missing the upper bump stop, and maybe have
a broken torsion bar. A boot clamp's not gonna fix that.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

Yeah, the rubbing on the frame and the lack of a bump stop are major factors.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
is your bus lowered?
it appears that the boot may have been making contact with the frame rail above it.. a spinning axle and an immobile object would twist the boot.

return your bus to proper ride height. turn your hat with the brim facing forward and pull your pants/shorts up above your hips. lowered bays don't make you cool. just driving a bay makes you cool.

Yes it's lowered. I don't like orange Bays, but I won't tell someone to paint theirs blue just to suit my taste.
I assume if your Bus is stock height, you wear Dockers shorts with suspenders, sandals with tube socks pulled up to your knees, and a Tilley hat strapped to your chin? Wink
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
It sure looks like the axle & boot is slamming into the frame above. You're missing the upper bump stop, and maybe have
a broken torsion bar. A boot clamp's not gonna fix that.

You're right. I looked at it closer and it does seem like the boot is hitting the frame. Strange thing is that the old boot wasn't ripped like that. It was old and worn and cracked, but not twisted and ripped. The suspension feels nice and firm, and I don't feel or hear the axle making contact over bumps, but obviously it is. I'll check out the torsion bars and see. The bus does sit nice and level at the back, but only the right side is making contact so that could be a possibility. Thanks!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

tell yer heavy friends to sit on the Drivers side. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

For now just lube the boot and shaft and push it towards the CV joint. Hopefully there is enough room in front of the frame where it is touching.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I have WagensWest horseshoe plates in the rear so I think it sits 3 1/4" (?) lower than stock. In the instructions it said to pull off the rubber bump stops, and I recall there was only 1-2" of travel if I had left them in place. I'll try cutting off one of the lobes of the bump and see how it goes. Better to hit the stops than replace boots every weekend!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
tell yer heavy friends to sit on the Drivers side. Wink

Jokes on you. Like most people who hang out here, I don't have any. Maybe it would be a good excuse to leave the wife and kids at home next camping trip.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
For now just lube the boot and shaft and push it towards the CV joint. Hopefully there is enough room in front of the frame where it is touching.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that in conjunction with the bump stop and see how it goes.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
is your bus lowered?

Yes it's lowered. I don't like orange Bays, but I won't tell someone to paint theirs blue just to suit my taste.
I assume if your Bus is stock height, you wear Dockers shorts with suspenders, sandals with tube socks pulled up to your knees, and a Tilley hat strapped to your chin? Wink

Well that sucks. OP shot the messenger who explained what was wrong then attacked everyone with a stock height bay.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

So let’s see....little bit of grease under the boot and it will not stay twisted...

Wait I swear I said that already..

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
So let’s see....little bit of grease under the boot and it will not stay twisted...

Yes, but unlike other Samba members, I said it with a Boston accent

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Yup sorry I did read your message too and I should have replied directly to it. I will grease it but I should also stop it from contacting the frame as well by installing the bump stops. I’d think no amount of grease will help if the boot hits the frame at 50mph.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

maybe Stu meant to grease the frame where it makes contact.. Wink

have to find Canstan some friends.. heavy or not. Laughing

CanStan wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Yup sorry I did read your message too and I should have replied directly to it. I will grease it but I should also stop it from contacting the frame as well by installing the bump stops. I’d think no amount of grease will help if the boot hits the frame at 50mph.

CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Well that sucks. OP shot the messenger who explained what was wrong then attacked everyone with a stock height bay.

Most definitely not. Sorry if you took it that way. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of assuming I have a sideways hat and pants down at my knees just because I have a lowered Bus. The same way my assumption about how people with stock height Buses dress got to you. I guess it's hard to convey sarcasm or humour on the internet with a handful of smiley faces.
But Dan's advice about the boot contacting the frame was spot on and put me on the right track. Thanks Dan!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Twisted CV Boot Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Most definitely not. Sorry if you took it that way. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of assuming I have a sideways hat and pants down at my knees just because I have a lowered Bus. The same way my assumption about how people with stock height Buses dress got to you. I guess it's hard to convey sarcasm or humour on the internet with a handful of smiley faces.
But Dan's advice about the boot contacting the frame was spot on and put me on the right track. Thanks Dan!

Thank you. I do hope you find a safe solution to your liking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: