Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
gprudenciop wrote:

Yup!! Trust me I have checked!!!
It's not just about the motor it has to be everything working together. Subarugears transmission,in the front added castor, rack and pinion steering,the right oil shocks(narrowed),sway bar,disk brakes with dual master cylinders for front/back adjustment,28mm torsions with 26 5/8 length for rebound softness,flipped trailing arms,gas shocks.sway bar and lowered a bit to help at speed.it makes it very stable and I am very happy with the power and don't need any more. I do miss having the 36hp motor and enjoying the view and not being in a hurry taking time to stop and smell the roses.

I'm not trying to disrespect your car, but my 74 Beetle has quite a bit of suspension mods along with a 2180 and Berg 5. And i've driven a 2018 STI and there's no comparison to the handling.

My 2016 Impreza was totaled last November and I was seriously considering getting a STi to replace it. The dealership lent me a 2018 for a weekend. The car was a blast, i could justify the added cost to purchase, but couldn't justify the added cost of fuel and maint. I keep cars for a long time and figured a STi with 200,000+ miles might be a money pit.

I sampled and even rented many of the 3000+lb modern performance cars and decided I did not like any of them, even the one with 455 NA hp. Settled on a 2330 lb 2016 Mazda ND MX-5. Long live the light weight sports car. Saved 8k in not buying a new one. My second choice was a Caddy ATS 2.0t.

Dan
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I love your bug!
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Thank you dauz! Wish I could keep the deck lid off like yours but my motor would drown around here.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

I had a 1600DP in my Manx copy and around town it moved out just fine but on the highway in traffic I was using the top 1/3 of the gas peddle most of the time. Now I have a mild 1911 type 4 engine in it and even at 70 mph I am still on the idle circuit. No idea what HP I have but I am happy with how it goes. Would more be better? More fun yes but in a 1400 pound short wheelbase rear heavy plastic toy car... at some point not too much further up the HP scale I will become a liability to myself and others.

In this modern world of computer run factory muscle cars we in our ancient air cooled VWs just don't have a hope of winning the HP or the handling race!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Oprn

“In this modern world of computer run factory muscle cars we in our ancient air cooled VWs”

What Oprn you said flashed me back to reality - our cars are a “ancient design” and on top of that we made each one unique. The sounds of the blower, Exhaust, the Smell, Crank Windows, no remote door locks, it is so different from Modern Cars I get a rush driving it. Also, enjoy the fact, they are head turners, always smiles and comments where ever I park, that goes for any year in any shape.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
... I do miss having the 36hp motor and enjoying the view and not being in a hurry taking time to stop and smell the roses.if I could do it all over again I would have left the 36hp motor in..

That's a sign that you've had more than enough power under you, and learned to appreciate that less is actually more sometimes. I share your feelings. This took me forever to build, it's like a rolling experiment. It's not really a speed demon, but sounds and moves like a "race car" below 90mph (scared to go faster). It usually sits in my garage and gathers dust these days. I've changed my priorities and enjoy driving our Vanagon much more Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4saHaQhAp0

aka Turbobaja
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
our cars are a “ancient design” and on top of that we made each one unique. The sounds of the blower, Exhaust, the Smell, Crank Windows, no remote door locks, it is so different from Modern Cars I get a rush driving it. Also, enjoy the fact, they are head turners, always smiles and comments where ever I park, that goes for any year in any shape.

I was thinking about this today and in reality you don't have to go all that much newer to get a lot more car than the VW could ever hope to be. A few years back I came across an '83 944 in ok condition and picked it up for $4500. That car in stock 30+ year old form is so far above and beyond any VW I have ever owned or ridden in that it defies logic that I would ever consider putting time and money into a VW project.

It came with a base 140 HP fuel injected engine that moves that car along pretty briskly. It has road handling and cornering power in stock form that rivals all but the most sophisticated new sports car offering. This whole car in drivable shape for just the price of a quality rebuild on a stock Beetle engine.

There are Hondas, Toyotas, and a host of others that are similar I'm sure.

Fast forward to my present Dune Buggy project, if I was to be honest I have over $9000 in it right now and I have a ways to go yet. When I am all done it will only have a shadow of the performance the 944 has stock.

Why am I doing this? Because it is unique, fun to drive and puts a smile on everyone's face. No practical reason what so ever!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

I'm glad you like the 944 but I don't see how driving it would be enjoyable. At least in a minivan you would have a better view of the road, and faster acceleration.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

There are a 1000 cars that perform better and for less money.

The VW bug is universally known amoung all ages as one of the slowest cars in the world. For this reason, the fun factor is x10 to take that stereo typical bug and feed some power to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'm glad you like the 944 but I don't see how driving it would be enjoyable. At least in a minivan you would have a better view of the road, and faster acceleration.

No it's not the fastest car across the lights Modoc. It's not that kind of car at all, it's a road car intended to be driven long distances on challenging roads at speed. It cruises effortlessly at 80 to 100mpg all day long and still feels rock solid at 120 mph. It takes on the tightest of winding mountain roads and turns them into child's play. It fits the driver like a familiar old glove, everything is just in the right place and exactly where you would expect it even blindfolded and in the car for the first time! It's the only car I have driven for 10 hours straight, got out and wanted to get back in and hit the road again.

Around town you are right. Poor visibility and a bit sluggish off the start. If that was the only driving I did I would not like it at all!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
modok wrote:

No it's not the fastest car across the lights Modoc. It's not that kind of car at all, it's a road car intended to be driven long distances on challenging roads at speed. It cruises effortlessly at 80 to 100mpg all day long and still feels rock solid at 120 mph. It takes on the tightest of winding mountain roads and turns them into child's play. It fits the driver like a familiar old glove, everything is just in the right place and exactly where you would expect it even blindfolded and in the car for the first time! It's the only car I have driven for 10 hours straight, got out and wanted to get back in and hit the road again.

Around town you are right. Poor visibility and a bit sluggish off the start. If that was the only driving I did I would not like it at all!

If 944 was so great why was it discontinued.... 911 is only thing I would consider with Porsche name on it.... Longest most technologically improved single model in VW/Porsche history...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

40 hp is all it takes for me... I get more enjoyment with a car that is just well sorted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Strange how time changes what we like.

Hated Rat Rods -- now love Rat Rods

Alway experimented on My bugs 1300 1500 1600 etc Single Carbs, FI, Dual Single Carbs , Porgressive Single Carbs. Cal look , German Look, original EMPI Nerf Bar Look,

NYC Street I don't Gave a Sh-t Look, Lot of steel for bumpers needed for people that park by sound, Back into the spot till you hit car behind you then go foward and hit the guy in front of you. OK now I am in.

Now, love my Bug but would also love a simple stock single carb 67 to 74 standard bug with pea shooter exhausts. Back to simple.

I made my bug complicated, not as much as some guys but we went against---

Simple !
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
oprn wrote:
modok wrote:

If 944 was so great why was it discontinued.... 911 is only thing I would consider with Porsche name on it.... Longest most technologically improved single model in VW/Porsche history...

Dale

Hey! The 944 is the best Golf ever made by Porsche!!!

And if the beetle is so crappy, why was it's rear suspension good enough for the 944? There. I said it. Not sure why, though...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

The 944 was produced in various forms from '83 through '95. It was not popular with the old school Porsche high brows because it was not air cooled, had a front engine and was a lower priced entry level car. The 924 and 928 suffered the same fate. Now all Porsches are water cooled.

Also the fact that it out handled all of the 911s costing 3 times the amount may have been a contributing factor... Wink

Yes it shares virtually the same rear suspension as the IRS Beetles and the front struts are nearly the same as the Super Beetle. The secret to the superior handling was weight distribution and low center of gravity.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Early 944s had a Audi engine. Then they got the 8v Porsche collowedt by the turbo and the best was the 16v.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

The 924 was under powered like 110 hp. The 944 was a better car but for a hell of a lot less money you can get a 280z that blow it away. People were not ready for water cooled Porsches especially for what they were charging.

Personally I liked the 928 but it feel into the same category too expense for a water cooled Porsche.

In, I think 98 the 911 when water cooled and that started to make things Ok, but too late for the 924 944 and 928......

Really did not like the 924
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

914-6 was quicker and out handled the 911.

Got a friend with a 914 and put a 3.2 Carrera engine in. It's a go kart with 300hp.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Early 944s had a Audi engine. Then they got the 8v Porsche collowedt by the turbo and the best was the 16v.

That was the 924 that had the 2 liter Audi engine. The 944 engine was a Porsche only design from the beginning starting at 2.5 liters and ending with a 3.0 liter. The 3.0 liter 16 valve engine by the way was in the 260 hp range and was pretty lively!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Glenn wrote:

That was the 924 that had the 2 liter Audi engine. The 944 engine was a Porsche only design from the beginning starting at 2.5 liters and ending with a 3.0 liter. The 3.0 liter 16 valve engine by the way was in the 260 hp range and was pretty lively!

Correct as usual King Friday.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: