Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

I needed that photo of the old engine, talk about simple, nice.

We talk about adding electronics, getting rid of the distributor, adding fuel injection etc.

Don't get me wrong I like hp and technology but it is nice to remember were we came from.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I needed that photo of the old engine, talk about simple, nice.

We talk about adding electronics, getting rid of the distributor, adding fuel injection etc.

Don't get me wrong I like hp and technology but it is nice to remember were we came from.

You can still make big power, while keeping the distributor and carbs, and keep a tidy, simple engine-

fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(From the engine combo thread)

No linkage pictured, but you get the idea...

That build is the attention to detail and cleanliness that I admire, uncluttered and simple, nothing that isn't needed. Sure you can shove all the modern business in to it as well, but simple works, and works well. Part of driving a 50+ year old car in my opinion is keeping the vintage style and charm where you can. Different strokes for different folks.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

I agree, my rusty engine was built in the early 90's it was a rolling experiment,

Have built many others but just to get running and have fun and get me to work was goal . Actually the rusty 914 engine uses the coil only as trigger for firing my Jacobs bug pac inside the car. IF one of the electrical engineers I work with did not tell me, you better put that inside the car, it puts out very high voltage you don't want it to get wet.

I would have crammed it into the engine compartment. Hey Clean is a Art,
I guess Cramming a bunch of stuff in a small space is an art too!!!

I have a DTM I have been thinking of using. The problem with a T-4 in a bug, it gives you no reason to take out the engine it just keeps running.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I agree, my rusty engine was built in the early 90's it was a rolling experiment,

Have built many others but just to get running and have fun and get me to work was goal . Actually the rusty 914 engine uses the coil only as trigger for firing my Jacobs bug pac inside the car. IF one of the electrical engineers I work with did not tell me, you better put that inside the car, it puts out very high voltage you don't want it to get wet.

I would have crammed it into the engine compartment. Hey Clean is a Art,
I guess Cramming a bunch of stuff in a small space is an art too!!!

I have a DTM I have been thinking of using. The problem with a T-4 in a bug, it gives you no reason to take out the engine it just keeps running.

And you consider this a problem? Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

Hmm I did use the word problem. Not a problem, just not good with words, maybe I should use Happy Faces!!!!!

javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

"How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy"

No idea what it takes for other people to be happy Confused
But to be safe, living in the middle of a major east coast metropolis, I've found you need around 100hp to drive a beetle safely in traffic. Much less and you risk getting run over, cause you can't get out of the way or merge safely when traffic is congested and hustling.
I used to know some people that daily drove stock cars in the city, but they've all pretty much given up.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

I live 35 miles north of Manhattan along the Hudson River. 26 miles to cross over the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan. The Manhattan side was no problem, mostly gridlock, so a lot of clutch use. As for keeping up with traffic no problem, ha.

But the 26 to the bridge had some hills a few miles long and with my 230 lb car pool buddy and my 155 lb, our goals was to keep the engine speed up the hills at least 60 mph..
My bugs were 1600 and 1700. Lucky if 60 hp. Had to put the pedal to the metal way before the hill and left lane was a gamble. Big difference when driving alone. So I agree 100hp would have been perfect.

Car may have had larger engines but now car handle better have more HP from smaller engines and driving at 80 feels like 65 back then. So I feel it is a lot worse now in low HP bug in the left lane.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How much HP do is really need for a Non Race bug and be happy Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I live 35 miles north of Manhattan along the Hudson River. 26 miles to cross over the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan. The Manhattan side was no problem, mostly gridlock, so a lot of clutch use. As for keeping up with traffic no problem, ha.

But the 26 to the bridge had some hills a few miles long and with my 230 lb car pool buddy and my 155 lb, our goals was to keep the engine speed up the hills at least 60 mph..
My bugs were 1600 and 1700. Lucky if 60 hp. Had to put the pedal to the metal way before the hill and left lane was a gamble. Big difference when driving alone. So I agree 100hp would have been perfect.

Car may have had larger engines but now car handle better have more HP from smaller engines and driving at 80 feels like 65 back then. So I feel it is a lot worse now in low HP bug in the left lane.
thus the reason why I see nop reason to build a small underpowered engine these days when parts are so plentyfull and cheep, and addvancements in thinking by some builders even make them work right and last too. big slugs can also be built by the retarded thinking builders....and they are built quite offten.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: