Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

I have a question hopefully you can help me with. What size sure did you run to the roof beacon (blue light)?

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
I have a question hopefully you can help me with. What size sure did you run to the roof beacon (blue light)?

Hi Dustin,

I am not completely sure I understood you question, but I assume you are asking for the fuse size. There is an 8A fuse in the fuse holder which supplied the whole system, siren and beacon. But the whole thing has been out of the car for 31 years so I am not totally confident, that that is the original fuse. I just calculated, the beacon light is 45W at 6V and that is already 7.5A The motor will need a little. I believe you should be able to get away with 8A for the beacon itself.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

mdege when you installed the rear hatch seal is the split ends placed at the bottom or the top? I'm installing mine and I'm assuming it goes to the bottom under the latch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
mdege when you installed the rear hatch seal is the split ends placed at the bottom or the top? I'm installing mine and I'm assuming it goes to the bottom under the latch.

I am not sure which seal you are talking about.The seal you can see in the picture of the trunk of my bus fits only in one direction and it is not split. In fact it is still the original one, but it does need replacing.

The seal of the engine hatch is usually split at the bottom. I have a new one and it came without the cut, but I will probably cut it eventually. The split makes it easier when you want to remove the rear apron.

65_EZCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Amazing work on the firetruck restoration! Really inspiring. 2 questions for you:

1. What type of wood did you use for the camper interior panels? I'm looking to refresh my US EZ-camper build and what you used looks nice.

2. I noticed on other thread you did a 12V conversion a while ago. My panel van is still an original 6V. Enough to start it just fine, but headlights are dim and I worry about jump starts. How much work was the conversion?

Thanks!
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

65_EZCamper wrote:
Amazing work on the firetruck restoration! Really inspiring. 2 questions for you:

Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
1. What type of wood did you use for the camper interior panels? I'm looking to refresh my US EZ-camper build and what you used looks nice.

I used birch wood. The panels are made of 3mm plywood and the other parts out of varying thickness what we call birch multiplex. It is also plywood but has many thin layers.

https://nordicplywood.com/catalogue/baltic-birch-plywood/

Quote:
2. I noticed on other thread you did a 12V conversion a while ago. My panel van is still an original 6V. Enough to start it just fine, but headlights are dim and I worry about jump starts. How much work was the conversion?

Thanks!

It is some work, but it can be worth it if you plan on driving it in the winter season.

Her is what you need to do:
a
1. replace every single bulb
2. replace every relay (flasher and what ever else you have in your bus)
3. you need to provide 6 V to your fuel gauge and the wiper motor. (or you replace the gauge and the armature in the wiper motor) I am running two LM338 5A voltage regulators one for the wipe and the other for my gauges.
4. you need to replace the solenoid and the auto-choke on the carburetor. The solenoid has a jet (G45) you can also replace it with just a G45 jet. Assuming you still have the original 28 PIC-1 carb.
5. Of course you will need a new generator and a new generator stand unless you find a 90mm 12V generator. You might as well switch to an alternator while your at it. Be aware, that things around the carb and fuel pump could get tight depending on what you have.
6. Now you need to decide whether you are going to go all the way with a 12V starter. I started out by replacing the 6V solenoid and ran 6V Starter with 12V. This works fine for a long time. Eventually I had to replace the fly wheel because the stater ate the teeth of the fly wheel. Now I have a 130 tooth 12V flywheel which meant I had to grind the bell-housing of my transaxle to make room for the slightly bigger flywheel. You will also need to get a special starter bushing. The grinding of the bell-housing really was the worst part, because you have to check over and over again if you have removed just enough to make it fit. Be careful not to remove too much material where the starter bushing sits or it might not stay put. You could also locate a starter from a type 3 automatic, then you don't need the starter bushing.

65_EZCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

It is some work, but it can be worth it if you plan on driving it in the winter season.

Her is what you need to do:
a
1. replace every single bulb
2. replace every relay (flasher and what ever else you have in your bus)
3. you need to provide 6 V to your fuel gauge and the wiper motor. (or you replace the gauge and the armature in the wiper motor) I am running two LM338 5A voltage regulators one for the wipe and the other for my gauges.
4. you need to replace the solenoid and the auto-choke on the carburetor. The solenoid has a jet (G45) you can also replace it with just a G45 jet. Assuming you still have the original 28 PIC-1 carb.
5. Of course you will need a new generator and a new generator stand unless you find a 90mm 12V generator. You might as well switch to an alternator while your at it. Be aware, that things around the carb and fuel pump could get tight depending on what you have.
6. Now you need to decide whether you are going to go all the way with a 12V starter. I started out by replacing the 6V solenoid and ran 6V Starter with 12V. This works fine for a long time. Eventually I had to replace the fly wheel because the stater ate the teeth of the fly wheel. Now I have a 130 tooth 12V flywheel which meant I had to grind the bell-housing of my transaxle to make room for the slightly bigger flywheel. You will also need to get a special starter bushing. The grinding of the bell-housing really was the worst part, because you have to check over and over again if you have removed just enough to make it fit. Be careful not to remove too much material where the starter bushing sits or it might not stay put. You could also locate a starter from a type 3 automatic, then you don't need the starter bushing.

Thank you! I figured with the care you put into the firetruck restoration, you would have a thoughtful answer on the 6V/12V question. I will likely give it a season and see what else develops that I need to work on.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

I built a table for my cargo door from scratch. The formica for the tabletop is recycled from a kitchentable. The formica used in westfalias was widely used also for kitchetables In the 50 and 60ies in Germany. I glued the formica to new piece of 12 mm birch plywood. And when it was dry In the router around the outside to get even edges. Here are the pictures:

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Very nice....very talented.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Thank you Tomas

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Very cool and really like the wood work to!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Very cool and really like the wood work to!

Thank you!

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

It's been fun to follow your very thorough tutorial and documentation on your restoration. Excellent work!

From thousands of miles away I could feel the pride you probably felt as you finished up that gorgeous restoration and then again as the TUV inspector easily passed it with flying colors! Congratulations Sir, and I hope to see it in person at a European show in 2022 (H-O & EBI)

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Thank you Bill.

I have never seen such a relaxed TÜV inspector before. He just said it's all new, well have a closer look in two years Smile

H-O and EBI 2022 sound like a good plan. Hope to meet you there.

Michael

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

I decided it was time to replace the seal of the rear hatch. I was tired of having rainwater leek onto the mattress.

The seal was advertised to be the best on the market.

What can I say, it really fits and the hatch still closes without any issues.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Good job. I too use those.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Really nice seeing your bus shining now. What is this red bucket used for? Is this a contact adhesive for the seal. What product are you using here? I‘ve seen the product from Petec all over. What is your recommendation?
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes, that is contact glue.

This is the product I am using: https://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de/restaurierung/kleber/spezialkleber-600-g

I used to use Pattex, but this is much nicer to apply using a paintbrush and seems to work just as well.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

We just recently came back from our summer vacation in Austria. My son and I drove all the way to Klagenfurt in Carinthia. We stopped for a visit with friends in the Black Forest. We drove a total of 3400km (1800 Miles). We tried to avoid the freeways as much as we could. You see so much more of the area you are passing through when you take the small roads.

But first of all I wanted to get rid of the potential oil leak from the valve covers and decided it was time to invest in new covers:

First stop on our trip was Aachen and there we saw this East German cousin of my bus, a Barkas B1000

Then we spent two nights with friends in the Black Forest. On a hike we saw this nice antique fuel pump:

The next night we already made it to Austria and camped on a small camp ground:

And we used my new antique Colman stove for the first time:

The next day we continued our journey and when we finally got out of the Felbertauerntunnel we stopped and met two other splits from Holland: (I can only show one here because the other picture wouldn't upload)

Later we met this Bay Window:

In the evening we finally got to our final destination Klagenfurt where the rest of the family was already waiting for us.

We basically spent two weeks there and did a lot of sight seeing. Like the Castle Hochosterwitz:

And some scenic roads which took us up into the mountains and other places:

And we visited some museums:

When we got back home we had added 3400km (1800 Miles) to the odometer with our any trouble

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck (21F) Reply with quote

I found some old pictures of my bus from a trip to Bavaria in 1989

In front of the former summer home of friends of mine

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: