Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Three point belt for middle seat idea - 91 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Three point belt for middle seat idea - 91 Westy Reply with quote

Working on a 91 Westy for a friend. We have a nice two person middle seat with headrests/rails, etc just waiting to be installed -- assuming I cut out the floor to install the seat slide rails. Well, maybe we'll install it - or maybe we'll get rid of it in favor of a rear-facing jump seat. But that's also a big PITA in its own way.

My buddy would need three point belts for the two person seat, so I was thinking that maybe it would work to drill two holes in the van - one above the sliding door at the appropriate spot for a shoulder seatbelt's upper mount, and the other in the roof on the other side above the fridge. (Both bolts would also have to fit under the pop top I'd think.) Then through those holes, you could install a burly eye bolt like the GoWesty ones that let you firmly secure big stuff like ARB fridges. (The Gowesty bolts are too short for this purpose, but you get the idea)
http://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-belts/4372/eye-bolt-kit-

With that done, then use this 1995 Eurovan shoulder belt setup. The belt has a clamp at the top that could hook into the loop bolt and would thus also be easy to unhook when you want to take the seat out.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-belts/23455/dual-3-point-seat-belt-kit-

What think? Easier to install a rear facing jump seat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Three point belt for middle seat idea - 91 Westy Reply with quote

Good idea, but there is already a seatbelt provision in the C-pillar. No need to drill.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Three point belt for middle seat idea - 91 Westy Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
Good idea, but there is already a seatbelt provision in the C-pillar. No need to drill.

Really? I surely would appreciate it if you'd tell me roughly where they are located on the C pillar.

Oh wait, found it.

THXhttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4597929

Hmm. That gives food for thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: