Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I 'ran out' of gas!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

Oh, my son has borrowed my minivan to take stuff to Sturgis, SD; for the motorcycle thingy, so I have to drive my air cooled VW fleet. I just took my 63 singlecab, to Canada and back, 2000 miles, and my off road thing is waiting for more fun.

I had just filled up my 74 daily driver Thing, and 35 miles later I felt like I had run out of gas. Spark at the points, and no gas coming out of the fuel pump when I cranked it.

I got towed to my friendly air cooled VW mechanic, put it on the lift, and he took a long time in fixing it.
It was not the second fuel filter in front of the engine. It was not the bottom of the fuel tank. When I blew through the line from the back, I blew a long time, and was ready to suck, but gas came out.

So it runs now but we didn't find the clog, and I guess I will keep driving until it happens again.

Any good preventive suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

Is there any chance that your fuel pump is drawing a vacuum in the fuel tank?
I can't remember exactly what the Thing fuel tank venting setup looks like right now, but I did own a '71 Super Beetle that had a clogged vent line, and until it was cleared, I had to open the gas cap about every 25 miles. Whoosh!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

Simple one line fuel pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

Vent line or fuel pump if there is no blockage in the tank.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

My brand new '73 would occasionally 'run out of gas'. The Dealer finally found the problem. He said there was a shop rag floating around in the tank, and it would occasionally get sucked down over the outlet.

BNMike
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: I 'ran out' of gas! Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't remove the gas cap, but we unblocked it without removing it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: