Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

The KPH speedo is more of an I WANT than I NEED item. I had to learn the imperial to metric conversions as a schoolboy when South Africa went metric in 1961, so the conversions while driving come to me automatically (driven into me by my teacher's cane).

My car is far from stock and KPH speedo would be just another deviation - but nice to have, eh?

Swavananda and KGCoupe are right. Maybe a printed decal or some Letraset numbers on the glass.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I think the decal method is most likely to succeed. Another thought. VDO is unlikely to have made the internal mechanisms bespoke for every speedo. There is a good chance a mechanism with an identical fit to yours can be found inside earlier or later speedometer models. Perhaps so across different VW models. I would suggest searching for a metric speedo that can be dismantled to get the metric odometer etc and transplant it into the case designed for your model year. The decals on the face would be the finishing touch.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I think the decal method is most likely to succeed. Another thought. VDO is unlikely to have made the internal mechanisms bespoke for every speedo. There is a good chance a mechanism with an identical fit to yours can be found inside earlier or later speedometer models. Perhaps so across different VW models. I would suggest searching for a metric speedo that can be dismantled to get the metric odometer etc and transplant it into the case designed for your model year. The decals on the face would be the finishing touch.

Nicholas

You make a good point. As it happens, I have a '72 KPH speedo from a kombi, I think, and I was thinking of using its dial for the decal by copying it onto a transparency. I hadn't thought of transferring the odometer gears and will take a look.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

here are some european second hand sides

2e hands. be ( belgium)
marktplaats.nl (holland)
le bon coin (france)
e bay kleinanzeigen karmann ghia or kafer (deutsland )

it would really surprise me not to find it ....
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/vw-kae...7-223-8416

is from 1967 but perhaps ok?
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

another one from 1964

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1470922185.htm/
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Hello Elfried, Thanks for the links. I was offered one of those speedos here in New Zealand on Sunday, but it doesn't fit a '68 Ghia. I think it would fit a pre-1967 Ghia (and of course, Beetles).

The differences between those speedos and the ones from 1967 onwards for Ghias are not only the size and the way they attach to the inside of the dash panel. The lights and light fittings differ and they have a fuel guage in the dial. I think also they were for 6V cars.

But thank you very much for looking.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I've taken my Ghia's speedo apart in order to find the reason why the needle doesn't return to zero (at the 20 mph mark) when I slow down or stop the car - until I disconnect the cable. These are the parts:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fitting at the back of the speedo where the cable attaches looks like this:

There is about .5 of a millimetre play - in and out - in the last part where the screw driver points in the photo above. Here is the part in close-up:

Here's what I found: When I pull on the part - where the screwdriver points - the needle returns to zero. When I push on it, the needle stays stuck at the speed last reached before I slow down.

It seems to me that there must be a washer or bushing inside the speedo mechanism that is worn, hence the 0.5mm play, and hence the problem

Reconditioning the speedo will cost me as much as buying a new one. I hope this explains to those following this thread why I'm looking for a new speedo, preferably a KPH one. 48 hours from now I'm going to give up and buy an MPH one. I have one lined up and waiting.

By the way: My Ghia Owner's Manual was printed in August 1967, which I understand to be the first month of the 1968 model, and it shows just one light at the top, a blue light for high beam. I think the one thing we have all learned in one way or another is that our quirky cars are all unique, each in its own way. Which may be a good thing, but at times very frustrating.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

I am thinking that , That the red worm gear and drive are what is calibrated to read out the odometer . If you swamped them out from a salvaged Kph gear set , you would, in theory, now have a Kph speedometer/odometer . Plus those gears could be easily 3D printed by somebody who is motivated to do so ......... And with printed Kph stickers for the face, Hmmm......... Looking for a new hobby ?
Joostt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I have searched all second hand websites and shops here in Holland. No ghia speedometer from 68 or later...
A substantial part of the Ghia's that drive around here are imported from the USA. So the KPH speedometers that are for sale are quickly sold, because enough owners would prefer them above their original MPH speedometers.

I guess there would be some business in printing KPH speedometer decals Very Happy

Edit:
After a short search I've learned that you can have it printed and laser cut for under $10. You would need a high quality digital image of the KPH speedometer front. Not sure how to do this. But seems to be a good option.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Swavananda, If my speedo wasn't defective I might have done what you suggest although I would have had to find the appropriate kilometer odometer part first.

Joost, Thanks for looking. I think everyone can see now how difficult it is to find a '67-71 Ghia speedo for KPH.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Swavananda, If my speedo wasn't defective I might have done what you suggest although I would have had to find the appropriate kilometer odometer part first.

Joost, Thanks for looking. I think everyone can see now how difficult it is to find a '67-71 Ghia speedo for KPH.

PERHAPS I HAVE ONE.............

please give me your emailadress, i hope to get some pics this day and you can say if you want it or not. the speedo is expensive but RARE item you know

regards, udo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

PERHAPS I HAVE ONE.............

please give me your emailadress, i hope to get some pics this day and you can say if you want it or not. the speedo is expensive but RARE item you know

regards, udo

Thanks Udo. I've sent you a pm.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

you have mail Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

gonna leave us all hanging? Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
gonna leave us all hanging? :)

Good news and bad news, Darrel. Yes, Udo has found a KPH speedo (7/67) for me. I'll be negotiating for its purchase this morning (Thursday already here). More good news is that I have a birthday coming this weekend and my wife has offered to buy the speedo for me.

The bad news is that your NOS speedo may have to go to someone else. Watch this space.

Rara avis, as the Romans woud have said.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Very Happy Excellent!!
its dated 7/67 w/ the 4 lights and the id markings? Go figure. Props to Udo!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
More good news is that I have a birthday coming this weekend and my wife has offered to buy the speedo for me.

You may need to confirm that she wasn't trying to support your banana hammock purchases. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
More good news is that I have a birthday coming this weekend and my wife has offered to buy the speedo for me.

You may need to confirm that she wasn't trying to support your banana hammock purchases. :twisted:

They're called budgie smugglers Down Under (no pun intended!). Even the previous Oz prime minister wears them when he does triathlons. Go figure. (Ask Nicholas or Mellow Yellow about Australian men's fashions. I'm just glad I found the KPH speedometer before they did.)

PS You don't need a hammock for perpendicular gear.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Very Happy Excellent!!
its dated 7/67 w/ the 4 lights and the id markings? Go figure. Props to Udo!

that is great stuff, isnt it?

i never belive that a 68 speedo is so hard ti find. very very difficult. the speedo is perfect, WITH Symbols. what a luck to find him...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: