Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
gonna leave us all hanging? Smile

More good news is that I have a birthday coming this weekend and my wife has offered to buy the speedo for me.

good News that you are a lucky men with fantastic women. congrat for your wife.

if we are someday in new zealand we visit you and your ghia

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for a reply from the sellers, Udo. Too soon to celebrate.

Nice photo of your wife and your Ghia - summer in Germany? My visits were to Hamburg and Lübeck - very cold for me, even in summer. But the Ghia's heating system works well, eh? And it helps to have a pretty girl in the passenger seat.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Very Happy Excellent!!
its dated 7/67 w/ the 4 lights and the id markings? Go figure. Props to Udo!

that is great stuff, isnt it?

i never belive that a 68 speedo is so hard ti find. very very difficult. the speedo is perfect, WITH Symbols. what a luck to find him...

It is! its not often we look into the details of later model ghias.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the sellers of the KPH speedometer to answer my email.

In the meantime; all my fiddling with my MPH speedometer has got it back to working again. I wound a piece of silk thread around and into the small gap between the rotating part (where the screwdriver points) and its housing to stop the rotatingpart from moving deeper into the housing. Lots of lubricant and it's working again.

But I still want the KPH one from Germany.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

I think it would be easier to lobby NZ Parliament to go back to MPH Chris. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I think it would be easier to lobby NZ Parliament to go back to MPH Chris. ;)

The process of decimalisation as it was called took two years during which we were taught at school how to convert all the salient measures. I'm going to find that KPH speedometer - maybe not soon, but there must be one somewhere.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

After all of Udo's efforts and two letters to the sellers I have not yet received any reply from them. One letter via email plus a notice on there website.

In the meantime, I'm going to paste model aeroplane decals on the glass of my MPH speedometer at the appropriate intervals. I have smaller wheels than standard on the front, so 80KPH appears at 55 MPH and 100KPH at about 70MPH on the dial.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
After all of Udo's efforts and two letters to the sellers I have not yet received any reply from them. One letter via email plus a notice on there website.

In the meantime, I'm going to paste model aeroplane decals on the glass of my MPH speedometer at the appropriate intervals. I have smaller wheels than standard on the front, so 80KPH appears at 55 MPH and 100KPH at about 70MPH on the dial.

WHAT???? i call them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

i have send kirsten a email that you are waiting. hope that she go in contact now with you...
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
i have send kirsten a email that you are waiting. hope that she go in contact now with you...

Thanks Udo. You are a true Samba hero. I have received an email from Kirsten and she has confirmed my order.

It means the speedometer is available and they are selling it to me. All I have to sort out is the payment and shipping details.

Happy days.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Most readers like a happy ending and Chris, I'm sure you are going to be pleased looking at an instrument calibrated in SI units. ( Systeme International)

Although not as rare as '68 , for my '66 I also have preference for metric. However, for me it wasn't one of the last things to do. I did it first. I found a year correct NOS metric speedo date stamped 4-66 well before I settled on my particular Ghia. It seems like a precursor that set fate in motion for the '66 finding me.

You mention calibration. I went through the process of calibrating my speedo against a GPS. I drove to a GPS speed and recorded the indicated speed. I also drove to a particular indicated speed and recorded the GPS speed. I did this several times throughout the speed range to get numerous data points. I charted that in Excell ( or you could use graph paper) . I found that the error wasn't linear. At slow speeds the speedo read low and at higher speeds read higher.

I noted that that speedo did not lift off the end stop at the lowest part of the range and that effectively was an offset to the position the needle should take. I could use that to my advantage to make the instrument read as correctly as possible.

To "calibrate" I set up a adjustable drill, a stroboscope and the speedo. I could use the strobe to accurately determine the RPM for a given indicated speed. From my earlier measurements I knew the GPS speed that RPM would correspond to. I lifted the needle off the shaft and put it back on with a slight amount extra rotation. I had to check & repeat a few times till I got the right indicated value.

The "target" value I chose to set the drill rotation was an indicated speed that gave the least amount of real speed error at the top and bottom of the range. I also considered that a slight bit of over reading was probably OK at higher speeds given how RADAR happy the constabulary are in these parts.

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas,

I'm glad to meet someone who is as fussy about getting his Ghia exactly to his liking as I am. I've driven a sufficient number of ACVWs to "know" the speed at various engine revs and sounds, so I don't need to go as far as you have to get absolutely accurate speedometer readings.

In these parts the cops allow a 9% excess over the speed limit before they prosecute. That's good enough for me, as I have no desire or need to exceed 55KPH in a 50KPH zone or 109KPH on the open road where the limit is 100KPH.

That said: My Ghia feels just right for relaxing driving at about 100KPH. (My Porsche 911 felt just right at 160-180KPH. Reactive. Safe. No strain on the engine.)
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Update:

I was able to pay for the KPH speedometer this morning (it's called a Tachometer in German).

Now the wait.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Some days are just better than others. Today is a way-better day.

While I was out - taking a grandchild to a dance class, trimming the hedge at my tennis club and doing shopping for my wife - the postman delivered a parcel for me.

Thanks exclusively to Udo Dreisoerner's efforts. Thanks Udo, I owe you a big favour.

After 5 years of searching for a KPH speedometer when I was ready to give up, all it took was a PM to Udo, and voilà, here it is.

The speedo looks like it's been refurbished too. In near new condition.

(I think we can add www.tristar-connection.de to our sources of rare Karmann Ghia parts.)
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Hmmm Tristar connection? There's Ghia Connection as well.. It looks like Lars Neuffer is expanding his interests. Good on him!

Use Google translate to read the "About Us" tab and it reveals the connection is real. ( couldn't resist that Laughing )

Nicholas
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Congrats Kiwi, very nice and long time coming. What is the red marking between 40 and 60 KPH?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Congrats Kiwi, very nice and long time coming. What is the red marking between 40 and 60 KPH?

I'll have the check but I think it's the redline where a gearshift MUST be made from 1st to 2nd. Or is it 2nd to 3rd? I'll have a look this morning.

EDIT: I'm fully awake now. It's the redline for second to third.
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

Hi, i was told that red line was indicating suburban speed limits in Germany, i could be wrong. I am quite often.....
But i have seen it on other German cars.
Thanks
Geoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

rhd914 wrote:
Hi, i was told that red line was indicating suburban speed limits in Germany, i could be wrong. I am quite often.....
But i have seen it on other German cars.
Thanks
Geoff

We also had it on VWs in South Africa - but there the speed limit was 35mph and later 60 kph.

It's handy here in New Zealand where the urban speed limit is 50kph.

My owner's manual says upshift required at 37mph = +/- 60kph

Multiple use redline then.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia speedometer (KPH or MPH) Reply with quote

The end of this thread, I think:

Old and new together:

As installed:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: