Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our 1968 1600L Variant
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Found this through a friend in northern New Mexico. This is my third Squareback. I had a ‘68 that I regrettably sold, and a 66 that was too big a rusty project for me to handle.
This ‘68 is my keeper.
The pan is unbelievably rust free even the battery area is. So far most of it is really. Some on the fenders and a bit over the passenger wheel in the front trunk.
Still a very complete car. Motor looks complete, interior is too. It still has the original carpet. Front seats look like they were redone at some point. Rear seat looks new.
Goals are to get it running as it was a running when parked car. Go through everything to make it safe and start driving it.
Although I’m going for a preservation approach, I’d like to redo the carpets and clean up the floors from any surface rust. The interior panels up front I am going to try and fix but they probably won’t be salvageable. The cargo panels are garbage. The rear area panels are nice still. I need to replace the front arm rests and eventually put in a proper ignition switch etc....Repairing the fenders is a must too. Lots of little bits to do while driving it and enjoying it. Hope to have it in safe driving condition by December.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

WOW!!! That's a nice survivor 68 European Squareback. That looks great. Nice find. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:

Goals are to get it running as it was a running when parked car.

Love it. "yeah it was running so great I just parked it for no reason and left it for years!" Laughing

EDIT: that does look like a sweet car though - nice find!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Looks like it even came with the rare Optional Autobahn™ Official Accessory Cat®
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Nice J. good to see you posting it on the Samba. Is this what you needed the front fenders for? My notch is in a million pieces right now.
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
WOW!!! That's a nice survivor 68 European Squareback. That looks great. Nice find. Cool

Thanks I’m really happy to have it. It’s a favorite color of mine as well!

-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Looks like it even came with the rare Optional Autobahn™ Official Accessory Cat®

He’s a rare accessory for sure. He doesn’t work very well though, as he didn’t kill the rat in time before it made the nest in and pooped all over the motor.

-Iggy Pop
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Nice J. good to see you posting it on the Samba. Is this what you needed the front fenders for? My notch is in a million pieces right now.

Hey Leo!
No they were for a friend who ended up with that red t3 truck. I’m going to try and save the fenders on this one. Have them repaired....hopefully!

-Iggy Pop
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Nice score. Was it on the Samba or craigslist or??
I am still working on mine that came to me in March.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Very nice! Cool to find a 1600 L here in the states.

didn't realize they had the Z armrests like 66/7 did. Great Find

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

[quote="sjbartnik"]
jamtonio wrote:

Goals are to get it running as it was a running when parked car.

Love it. "yeah it was running so great I just parked it for no reason and left it for years!" Laughing

EDIT: that does look like a sweet car though - nice find![/quote

Yeah I doubt it’s gonna just get up and go after a little refreshing, but he wasn’t a shady fellow and he had more cars than he could ever drive or need. A guy can dream right?
I was lucky to even get it outa his yard to be honest, he didn’t like letting it go.

-Iggy Pop
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Nice score. Was it on the Samba or craigslist or??
I am still working on mine that came to me in March.

It was a word of mouth find.

-Iggy Pop
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

What happened to the Ghia?
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
What happened to the Ghia?

It’s still there. That’s a New Mexico Ghia too. Still has the Dick Hughes of Santa Fe VW badge on it.

-Iggy Pop
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

I dug in a bit to pull the gas tank for a cleaning and a refurbishing and to assess the rust. Still much to do and learn. On the hunt now for good metal. Any advice, opinions and leads for clean metal are much appreciated.

-Iggy Pop
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

You might be better off making your own patch pieces for the inner wheel wells, and welding them in.

They're very prone to rusting there, especially over the fuel fill pipe, and nobody makes a replacement patch for that area, to my knowledge.

It wouldn't have to be particularly pretty, since it'll be covered by the vinyl frunk liner.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Nice find, nice kitty! Mine was also curious about my '70 Fastback (I have a photo in my gallery). Thanks for leveling up the rear bumper- so many people don't bother, and it's such an eyesore.

As to "redoing the carpets", I suggest carefully removing them from the car, and going the preservation route instead of replacement. Yours don't look to be shredded, and the carpet material is quite rugged. Once out, lay them in the sun on a hot day and let them dry. Hang them up on a clothesline and bat them from behind to knock dirt out of the carpet loops. Then toss them into the washing machine in the warm cycle. Hang up outdoors to dry. Even though the rear floor carpet is partly threadbare, nothing will fit better than originals.

Continuing with the preservation route on the door panels, might try laying them out in the sun to warm up the vinyl and make sure the backing panel is dry. While the vinyl is still warm, spray the backing panel and the backside of the vinyl with good upholstery-grade contact cement, pull the vinyl outwards and try to stretch it over the edge of the backing and onto the back of the panel. Then staple the back lip of the vinyl onto the backing. Work a small section at a time.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
You might be better off making your own patch pieces for the inner wheel wells, and welding them in.

They're very prone to rusting there, especially over the fuel fill pipe, and nobody makes a replacement patch for that area, to my knowledge.

It wouldn't have to be particularly pretty, since it'll be covered by the vinyl frunk liner.

I have to agree. As far as I know, those are parts that aren't being repoped/remanufactured.
The "boxed" sections on the outsides are dirt traps, that CAUSE the rust you're seeing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Patching the rust in the frunk is definitely on the table. Seems feasible, but I have time to see what pops up on my radar, in terms of someone chopping one up. I want to take my time in terms of body work, cause I want it to be done nice. I agree though, no one is gonna see it. Right now I have some time to over think it and obsess! Very Happy

-Iggy Pop

Last edited by jamtonio on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1968 1600L Variant Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nice find, nice kitty! Mine was also curious about my '70 Fastback (I have a photo in my gallery). Thanks for leveling up the rear bumper- so many people don't bother, and it's such an eyesore.

As to "redoing the carpets", I suggest carefully removing them from the car, and going the preservation route instead of replacement. Yours don't look to be shredded, and the carpet material is quite rugged. Once out, lay them in the sun on a hot day and let them dry. Hang them up on a clothesline and bat them from behind to knock dirt out of the carpet loops. Then toss them into the washing machine in the warm cycle. Hang up outdoors to dry. Even though the rear floor carpet is partly threadbare, nothing will fit better than originals.

Continuing with the preservation route on the door panels, might try laying them out in the sun to warm up the vinyl and make sure the backing panel is dry. While the vinyl is still warm, spray the backing panel and the backside of the vinyl with good upholstery-grade contact cement, pull the vinyl outwards and try to stretch it over the edge of the backing and onto the back of the panel. Then staple the back lip of the vinyl onto the backing. Work a small section at a time.
Thanks for all the info, I’m definitely going to try it on the panels. Drivers side may be toast. Passenger not as bad. Rear cargo were totally thrashed. Back seat area are nice.
As for the carpet, they are kinda too ready to crumble in areas to pull them out, I think. They Just wanna unravel and fall apart. I know there is mobile or portable carpet dry cleaning available, so who knows.

-Iggy Pop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: