Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sophia's 67
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Man, you got a lot done in three hours. Laughing

Yes I work fast, just slow with the computer Laughing

I started at the end of april and just had the free time today to post this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Love your progress! Very Happy

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Love your progress! Very Happy

thanks! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

A friend is doing the interior. Headliner, carpet and the door panels. It looks like he will be finished with it by the weekend Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Great job, the metal repairs came out really nice!

Getting close, keep it up
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

That is some Great work! Nice car

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
Great job, the metal repairs came out really nice!

Getting close, keep it up

I have been watching your thread. Your metalwork is extremely inspiring. Thank you for taking a look at this and commenting. It is very much appreciated.
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
That is some Great work! Nice car

Thanks. Got to love those 67's. Cool

I will have some more good progress posted soon. Car is coming along nicely and looks a lot different with most of the outside assembly completed now.
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

The door panels were not ready the day I picked up the car. I have them now.. along with the recovered original arm rests.

We decided to do pockets on both sides, I believe it is more useful and Ive always liked the look. Working on getting them installed, the plastic that the ww door scrapers came in was used for the door panel moisture barrier.

hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Door panel installed

More to come..
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Respectfully, are you going for "as close as possible to original" resto, or are you going for an "in the ballpark-ish" resto? You are certainly in the ballpark, but many details missing (or incorrect) if you are going for the former resto versus the latter. Hence me asking. Smile

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Nice work, great job!
May I suggest you exchange the inner door openers? Maybe it is just me but it looks on the photo above like you installed the driverīs side door opener on the passenger side.
Keep up the nice work!
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:
Nice work, great job!
May I suggest you exchange the inner door openers? Maybe it is just me but it looks on the photo above like you installed the driverīs side door opener on the passenger side.
Keep up the nice work!

Good catch on the openers alex..It was an easy swap since the driver door panel was not on the door yet. It looks like Im still in the ball park as some say.

Sophias door openers had heavy pitting that wouldnt clean up. The outer trim for those was pretty much the same. I was lucky to be able look thru some of my own extra parts finding a set in much better condition.

Left and right front door panels are on now.

Some of the small interior parts like the door openers were heavily pitted, missing or broken. The engine is still out of the car going thru a rebuild and some detail work. In the meantime, I will be working on collecting the missing stuff and getting the wheels and tires sorted out. Thanks to all for taking a look at sophias 67.
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

On to the wheels.. After the old tires were peeled from the 5 rims, I took the rims down to the local powdercoater for sandblast and powdercoat.

Drove to lucas tire in LB and grabbed some American Classic 165 white walls.

After a couple days I picked up the rims, a close enough color match to the original off white color. I spent most of the day carefully masking all 5 of the rims to paint the black center for the correct two tone look.

hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

To be safe.. paint and powdercoating was removed down to bare metal in the lugnut seating area on all.

Last edited by hm on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

Since the original paint in the engine bay was strong and in great condition it only needed a good cleaning.

The engine to body seals were dry and cracked so both were changed out with new WW seals. Since this 67 is an October 66 build, the correct 66 and older style seal was used.
The firewall kit was in rough shape as most are and missing the side pieces. A new WW engine firewall kit was installed along with new trans cradle mounts and fuel hose.

hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

The rebuilt/restored original oct. 66 1500 engine is back from the rebuilder

We are happy with it but may change/add a few small details later..

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sophia's 67 Reply with quote

hm wrote:
We are happy with it but may change/add a few small details later..

Like maybe replace that Brosol fuel pump with a proper and rebuildable Pierburg Smile. Not gonna nitpick other things, but it does look BEAUTIFUL! Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: