Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

The saga continues...
I am looking for recommendations for spark plugs for a Gene Berg 1776cc motor.

Thank you for your time.

Loungewizard
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

What heads?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Good question, I don't know, I just got the car from my cousin and some of the details are a bit sketchy. It's my understanding the heads are for unleaded gas.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

As Glenn suggested, you need to pull a spark plug so you can measure the length of the spark plug threads, some later or aftermarket heads use longer plugs.

I use pretty much "regular" 14mm 1/2 inch reach Bosch plugs in my own 1835cc engine but I drive as street vehicle, not a racer. Bosch W8AC or W7AC.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Cusser,

This is a street vehicle as well. Without knowing exactly what cam is in it I can say it's mild. I was a Motorhead thirty to forty years ago and had cars with radical cams in them, that's not what's in this car. It's a Superbeetle convertible for heading to my grocery store or down to the lake during the summer. I'm old and my days off laying rubber or street racing are far behind my ass. Today I went to my local library and stopped for a chocolate shake at the ice cream stand that just opened, it was good, real good. I'll pull a plug and report back.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

NGK B5HS for 1/2" reach plugs
NGK B5ES for 3/4" reach plugs

If it's higher compression and you use 91 octane you can go to a "6" heat range.

BTW... Gene Berg doesn't build engines. They sell parts, but Gary Berg does build them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1027343

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

I'm back, the current plugs are NGK - D7EA.
My cousin had a mechanic build the 1776 kit for him. The motor has less than 1,000 miles on it. There have been some issues that I've been addressing that have me unimpressed with the dude's work, an intake manifold leak do to a clearance problem between one of the dual Weber IDF 40s and the doghouse for one. I've dealt with that and have been working my way through it as it was sitting in a garage for 2 years. I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

I again thank you for your assistance. I'm glad I found this group.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Where in NY are you?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

I'm about ten miles west of Little Valley in Cattaraugus county. 25 miles from Salamanca where the closest grocery store is.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Post some photos of the car and engine bay when you have a chance.
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
unheatedgarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

loungewizard wrote:
Cusser,

This is a street vehicle as well. Without knowing exactly what cam is in it I can say it's mild. I was a Motorhead thirty to forty years ago and had cars with radical cams in them, that's not what's in this car. It's a Superbeetle convertible for heading to my grocery store or down to the lake during the summer. I'm old and my days off laying rubber or street racing are far behind my ass. Today I went to my local library and stopped for a chocolate shake at the ice cream stand that just opened, it was good, real good. I'll pull a plug and report back.

This is what I'm talking about--these are the kind of statements that I'll always cherish.

A heartfelt moment--a tiny moment like a milkshake. A sunshining day and just the feeling of the breeze.

My parents and I stopped at a new place in town for some burritos. It wasn't really all that special, but it didn't matter because it was a fantastic day. We just went fweeming through town and tried it out on a whim, them we fweemed away.

They're growing older--I'm growing older, and I'm learning more and more how important it is to take notice of little fragments like that--to grasp them, cultivate them, then know they'll all float away.

Thank you for sharing, loungewizard. I hope you get your issues sorted real quick, and I hope you keep-on lounging for a long, long time.
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Unheated garage,

It really was a most enjoyable chocolate milkshake! While I was sitting on a bench watching the sunset another old fart like myself arrived and before he placed his order asked the small group of us enjoying our frozen dairy delights, "Who owns the VW?" I said I did and he asked if I wanted to sell it. I said no, but after he got his Carmel Sunday (It looked good) he sat at the bench I was occupying and we had a great conversation, well mostly he listened to me run down my efforts to get my Beetle straightened out and my plans for it's future. I shared an observation I had made earlier that day, he found it humorous, so I'll share it here...

"Trouble shooting a car is like taking a dump,
it's a process of elimination."

Enjoy your parents while you still can, my Dad passed 10 years ago and my Mom passed 4 years ago.

Loungewizard
unheatedgarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Quote:
"Trouble shooting a car is like taking a dump,
it's a process of elimination."

Enjoy your parents while you still can, my Dad passed 10 years ago and my Mom passed 4 years ago.

Loungewizard

+1 Laughing

Thank you, Sir. I will, and I do.

Mike + The Mechanics had the message, and I knew it even way back then, when I was a but a young lad, that what they were saying was true: Say It Loud; Say It Clear

Was just going through the garage and found some of Dad’s old Easy Rider mags. Man, I can’t tell you how much those effected my early years! Gotta’ love the wild choppers and Saggy Seventies Boobs—ergo, au naturel.

I much prefer the skinny tires and hard-tails they had back then rather than the fat tires and baggers they were doing so much recently. Happily, I believe the old look is having its renaissance, which is just fine with me (start burning those bras, ladies!).

And Dad’s probably poking around on this forum with his fancy-shmancy phone, while I’m still hammering away on the old desktop—just like he taught me to.

Oh how things change…

But anways, how about those pics of your engine bay? I’d love to see what you’ve got going-on underneath that hood—a fine looking convertible you have there, and by the way, you're a great writer!
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

I'm beaten.
I've checked timing, dwell, points, condenser, put in a new coil, changed the main jets and more and I cannot get this car to run right.
unheatedgarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Compression?

Have you popped the valve covers?

One time my Bug just wouldn't run right--checked all the things you did--turns out the valve springs had gotten rusty from years of sitting, and one cylinder after another died a slow, painful death. It was miserable trying to figure that out until I saw the entire top-end had a lovely red hue all over everything, and bits of valve spring shards gathered all up in pockets.

Also, you mentioned you thought the cam was mild. In my case, someone had put in a rather aggressive cam, but didn't take the time to fit carbs or exhaust to suit it--it basically ran like a stocker, but the valve springs weren't up-to-snuff, so when I bought the thing, it had already broken a few from the extra tension. I had no idea about the cam until I tore it apart.

Had this car been sitting for a while?
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Two years.
unheatedgarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

That's about how long mine sat. Gotta' love that pre WWII technology, the moisture just condenses and pools up everywhere, especially if you're running one of those crappy old Scat air filters that are so popular.

You might find there's a movement (at least amongst my mind) to go back to the old oil-bath air cleaners; to go back to the way it once was; to go back to the beginning.

But NEVERMIND. First, I must apologize. Why should I make assumptions--of course you popped the covers and adjusted the valves. I'm so sorry, man--you're a rock-and-roller, you've created more horsepower than I ever will--you lived the dream. It is I that should be asking questions from you.

Apologies and excuses out of the way, it dawned on me last night that there's those seals on the intake manifold that allow for expansion. Have you squirted some brake cleaner around there to see if there might be an air leak?

You're not beaten. Defeat is not the answer. You're in good hands here, from people like Cusser et al. Never give up; never surrender. Yes, that was a Galaxy Quest reference. Cry havoc--I choose not to be embarrassed!
loungewizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

I had a leak on the left hand side intake manifold. I replaced the gasket, same issue, the carburetor was up against the doghouse preventing it from seating properly. Performed a modification of the doghouse with a pipe and a hand sledge. Manifold leak fixed. Car still not running right but slightly better. Did comprehension check on those two cylinders while I could get to them (125psi while cold) Adjusted dwell and timing, not a huge fan of 009 distributors at this point, negligible change. Checked main jets (115) noticed 3 emulsion tubes F11s, 1 an F1. The idle mixture screws out 8 full turns on one side 2 turns on the other...

The "German car expert" who built this motor for my cousin is a hack. I keep finding crap that makes no sense and I would call negligent (fuel line clamp not tightened at all, manifold nuts finger tight, etc) It's time to park it till I can find an old school VW mechanic to pull the engine, go thru it, get it properly tuned before putting it back in the car as there is no room to work on the carbs while on the car and the only way to work on the carbs is to remove them with the intake manifold, which pretty much sucks hairy moose balls to do as I don't have freakishly small hands. It's built from a Gene Berg 1776 kit, my cousin spent $5,500 in parts alone.

Anyway, I've been ignoring cutting and splitting firewood while working on the Bug, time to get my priorities straight. Winter is coming! (Game of Thrones reference)
unheatedgarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug recommendation for Gene Berg 1776 cc motor Reply with quote

Ugh. You're preaching to the choir. There's a reason why I don't haunt these dark corners of the internet anymore--I despise working on these cars (but the engines are really neat!). It's like they were designed for carnival workers (thank you for that reference, kind sir--you made my day!).

The 009's, I'm sorry, you'll find huge fans on the racing forum, are only so-so for street use, but once again, you already knew that. Smile

Well phooey. I'm sorry you're not pleased with that engine. If I might point out: what it has given you so far is a wonderful chocolate milkshake & sunset to remember, and it has given me a wonderful time getting to know the owner of said chocolate milkshake. This has been a real pleasure. I know, it's inconceivable, but I hope you rest well, and dream of large women.

Peace, love, and happiness.

Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: