Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary Battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

I am trying to gain a better understanding of the auxiliary battery system in my van and its capabilities. Please understand I am a bit challenged in this area. Here is the set up: The battery is an Interstate SLA 1161 Max charge 13.2 A. I purchased it new this year This seems to run most applications: interior lights, radio, faucet etc. There is a 1200 W Coleman inverter also. One of the biggest uses of the auxiliary system is to run the portable fridge/freezer that I use to replace the original refrigerator which has been removed. It is a Norcold 30 that I bought used, it has both AC and DC capabilities. I run it on DC plugged into a cigarette lighter socket mounted in back of the driver’s seat just below the inverter. The label on the fridge reads Voltage 12/24V CD Current DC 12V 4.5 A freezing capacity DC 24V 2.5 A refrigerator amount. I set the temperature at 42 degrees F.

On a recent 10-day trip I ran the Norcold while driving most of the time and when camped but turned it off at bedtime and turned it back on in the morning. What I noticed was the battery charge light indicator located on the cabinet never got in the green even after driving for several hours with the fridge shut off. I tried this a few times to see if I could get the light in the green. Most of the time it was yellow and occasionally red. I should mention the weather during the trip was very hot during the day often in the 90’s.

When I arrived home I pulled the battery an put it on the charger and it would only reach 11.8.

So my questions are:
    What can I expect out of the auxiliary system? A friend who has a truck camper says his system can run for about three days.
    When fully charged should the battery read moiré than 11.8?
    Would a solar charging system help?
    When driving should the charging from the engine outpace the needs of the fridge?
    How accurate is the charge light on the cabinet?
    Can I damage the battery if I run it down too low?

Thanks
Maine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

It sounds like the aux battery may already be shot. It isn't a large capacity battery to begin with at 44 amphours. It sounds like you have some charging problem with it. The 3 leds on the Westy panel are usually reasonable indicators of what is going on. But the green should be on when the engine is running if the dash warning light has turned off.

Without more info about your aux charging setup it will be hard to figure much more out.

Mark
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Ok what do you need and where should I look?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

A fully charged battery will read about 12.7 volts.

A fridge is a fairly heavy load for a 44ah battery. Many folks running fridges have 100 - 200 ah of battery (I have 150).

Solar is very helpful (essential?) in keeping a battery charged while running a fridge while not running the engine. I run 150 watts of solar to keep the batteries charged while running a fridge and Propex. I’d like to go to 200 watts for more solar capture when conditions are not ideal.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
noahk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

If you can't charge past 11.8, the battery is definitely toast. Fully charged it should read around 12.7. The fridge probably killed your battery. It sounds like you have the gowesty aux system, which isn't really intended for that much load. A 44ah battery gives you 22ah usable before its being damaged; at 4.5 amps for the fridge, you'll kill the battery in 5 hours, not including whatever other loads you may be using (especially if you're using the inverter). GoWesty also repurposes the stock relay and wiring, which is convenient, but doesn't pass a lot of current, so it takes a long time for the battery to recharge.

Solar will definitely help; anything really that will keep the battery charged. Ultimately though if you want to run a dc fridge you should probably look into a beefier battery and a better combiner such as a blue sea or yandina.
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

I believe the 4.5 amps is for freezing which I do not set that low the fridge draws 2.5 amps.
Can I get a more powerful battery that fits in that space?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
I believe the 4.5 amps is for freezing which I do not set that low the fridge draws 2.5 amps.
Can I get a more powerful battery that fits in that space?

Most people have found those fridges use about 1+ amp per hour average over a 24 hour period. Could be 30 amps per day. But if you turn it colder while driving and off at night it would be less. So you can get a full day out of it for sure. A thermal blanket is supposed to help and you can run the engine for a little while in the morning to help put some juice back in the battery.

Some makers have a 50 amp hour battery that is the same size as the 44. GW sells one, but other brands use different case sizes so if you try to find your own cheaper brand, you have to be careful and make sure it fits.

You could get 2 44 amp hour batteries and put one under the sink and tie them together. You might want a thicker wire connecting the aux battery to the main battery to handle fast charging.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
...The 3 leds on the Westy panel are usually reasonable indicators of what is going on...

But w/o modification wouldn't those just show the main battery condition?

I can toggle them from main to aux but am not sure this is the usual set-up.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

The led should be on green when the engine is running no matter which battery is otherwise connected to them.

There has been modification, but we don't know exactly what.

If I cared enough to put in a toggle switch I would certainly care enough to put in a cheap voltmeter too, and switch that with the toggle rather than rely on only 3 leds across the wide charge state.

There are newer dual USB charger ports with integral voltmeter that would work great for this.

Mark

Ahwahnee wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
...The 3 leds on the Westy panel are usually reasonable indicators of what is going on...

But w/o modification wouldn't those just show the main battery condition?

I can toggle them from main to aux but am not sure this is the usual set-up.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

As others said, a charged battery will hold 12.7 volts. Take it to any parts store and have them load test it, one of our batteries showed 12.7 once and I thought it fine... but under load testing that 1100aH battery had NINE instead of 1100. Yes, 9.

I finally bought a fabulous compact load tester at NAPA, after asking twenty parts stores for a compact one I finally stumbled into one on sale for $60, about $100 off normal price.

I also think a 1200-watt inverter may be dragging the battery down. It takes power, too, ours is an 1100 but we only need that for a blender and we have two 100aH batteries and solar. If I knew the bare minimum for the blender I'd replace it, for most common things I think 400 watts would be plenty -- though a bit of conjecture there that the more electrically-inclined can better answer.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
The battery is an Interstate SLA 1161

You are trying to charge an AGM battery and it won’t charge on the van's system. AGM batteries in an undercharged state wear out fast, it may already be damaged due to undercharging. You need a charger capable of about 14.9v to fully charge an AGM battery. The high capacity of an AGM battery is achieved during about the last .3 (three tenths) of a volt, so you are only using it at less than ⅓ of its capacity. Whoever put that AGM battery in there made a common mistake.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

I use a deep-cycle (trolling) battery (24DC-6) from Wal*Mart with 75 amp hours. About 70 bucks but lasts for many years though I don't have as heavy a demand on it as that fridge.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
...If I cared enough to put in a toggle switch I would certainly care enough to put in a cheap voltmeter too, and switch that with the toggle...

Right. Sort of old school but it shows what's going on:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Could you give me a name of the battery I need?
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

I think it is the SLA 0190
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
I think it is the SLA 0190

I think that is right. GoWesty is out of stock now, but you can see the details at their site. Theirs are only $120 but you have to add shipping. You can find similar ones at sites that offer free shipping or local stores like batteriesplus. For example, here is one for $84 shipped. That would be an easy switch out.
https://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-40ah-sealed-lead...8REALw_wcB
This one looks like it would need to be layed on its side but should fit fine. If you google Interstate 50ah SLA battery you will see tons of listings. You just have to look at the measurements including terminals. The height is limited to 7" but the width can be up to 7.5" so some can fit nicely on their side.

These are all going to AGM batteries for the most part. The ones GoWesty sells are AGM too. All the sealed ones that can lay on their side won't be flooded lead acid and there is nothing wrong with AGM. I think the issue with the vanagon alternator is it only puts out 13.5 volts so you want to top up your batteries at home after a trip.

You can also get a couple 30Ah or so universal deep cycle batteries and wire them together. Depending on the height of diff brands, you could fit two under the front seat. That would give you a little more power for more money. But 50Ah for under $100 is a pretty simple option.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Maine wrote:
The battery is an Interstate SLA 1161

You are trying to charge an AGM battery and it won’t charge on the van's system. AGM batteries in an undercharged state wear out fast, it may already be damaged due to undercharging. You need a charger capable of about 14.9v to fully charge an AGM battery. The high capacity of an AGM battery is achieved during about the last .3 (three tenths) of a volt, so you are only using it at less than ⅓ of its capacity. Whoever put that AGM battery in there made a common mistake.

I'm a little confused about the comment that a Vanagon alternator won't fully charge an AGM.

If we start a drive at say 12 volts even, after a couple hours our two AGM house batteries, and our starter lead acid, are all at 12.7 volts from a stock 90 amp alternator.

If we run solar a spell without any load, the two AGMs are at the exact-same 12.7 volts.

Please clarify if I'm missing something.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

This is the set up of my auxiliary battery. As noahk said it looks like the GoWesty aux system to me although to be truthful I'm not real sure what I am looking at. Question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I'm a little confused about the comment that a Vanagon alternator won't fully charge an AGM.

If we start a drive at say 12 volts even, after a couple hours our two AGM house batteries, and our starter lead acid, are all at 12.7 volts from a stock 90 amp alternator.

If we run solar a spell without any load, the two AGMs are at the exact-same 12.7 volts.

Here is a good thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247985

The 12.7 volts may not be showing a reliable state of charge. It depends if you were just running the engine, etc. What is the highest voltage you ever see at the battery while charging? Probably well below 14 volts? With my subaru alternator, I see 14.4-14.5 at the highest and in float it drops down to 13.4.

From what I have read a lot of old vanagons and old wiring and old alternators, people often see low 13s as their highest voltage. An AGM battery wants a little more than a flooded battery, but both want more than low 13s. The problem really becomes apparent when you are deep cycling a house battery and it never gets fully charged. The starting battery doesn't suffer as much because it is always nearly topped up and low 13s is close to the right float charge.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
our two AGM house batteries, and our starter lead acid, are all at 12.7 volts from a stock 90 amp alternator.

Then you are not fully charging your AGM batteries, and they are degrading while undercharged. It may seem to be charged because it does put out power, but you will see less capacity and shorter lifespan. AGM requires a more modern charging system to fully charge. My Odyssey battery needs 14.9 volts but some need less. A good smart charger will have the option of AGM profile or AGM-HP. Both types neen more than 14v to fully charge.

Also, if AGM and flooded batteries are connected, you are probably damaging either or both. They are not compatible and need to be fully isolated.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
The 12.7 volts may not be showing a reliable state of charge. It depends if you were just running the engine, etc. What is the highest voltage you ever see at the battery while charging? Probably well below 14 volts? With my subaru alternator, I see 14.4-14.5 at the highest and in float it drops down to 13.4.

From what I have read a lot of old vanagons and old wiring and old alternators, people often see low 13s as their highest voltage. An AGM battery wants a little more than a flooded battery, but both want more than low 13s. The problem really becomes apparent when you are deep cycling a house battery and it never gets fully charged. The starting battery doesn't suffer as much because it is always nearly topped up and low 13s is close to the right float charge.

Our current alternator typically puts out 13.3 to 13.7 at idle. The prior one put out 14.5, and while I've read its regulator was flawed, man oh man, the van loved it! People haven't bought this next comment in the past, but our mpg immediately went up at least 10% over the following twenty tank loads, the van had markedly more grunt, and I've yet to not do that mpg math after a fill-up over 54,000 miles on the road.

With our panel charging all day, if no load is applied, at the end of the day I see as high as 14.2 surface charge at the inverter (is that the same as float charge?).

I never saw this in our first 58 months on the road, maybe low 13s was all, but we recently installed a new charge controller with a lot more intelligence behind it, and it's rocking now!

Thanks Dave.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: