Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 67 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So I bought a car. It will be a project to keep me busy now and during the winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the engine. I am not sure what exact kind it is. It doesn't have a lot if miles on it since it's last rebuild. I'm new to carburettors so it will be a learning experience.

A bit of figureing out here.

There are 4 of the one on the right and two of the one on the left. The wife wants the one on the left. Anyone know what the one on the right is?

Over all it seems in decent enough shape. It's going to need a new windshield, all new rubber everywhere, new dash, 2 front seat covers, carpet, and probably the usual stuff on the engine. This car hasn't really moved in about 15 years. Paint is new. Most of the parts are inside the car, the only thing I can't find is the turn signals for the 2 front corners and some trim pieces.

This should be an adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Nice to see another squeraeback being brought back to life. You'll love the drive and the tons of space these little cars have.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like a good solid project. By the way that other hubcap is from a Studebaker. Looks like you have the correct '67 style hub cap in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
Looks like a good solid project. By the way that other hubcap is from a Studebaker. Looks like you have the correct '67 style hub cap in good shape.

Good to know. I actually only have 2 of the VW ones. Looks like I need to look for another 2. I also need wipers. What kind of front turn signals do I need/will fit?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
rustyfastback wrote:

Good to know. I actually only have 2 of the VW ones. Looks like I need to look for another 2. I also need wipers. What kind of front turn signals do I need/will fit?
Look at my avatar

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So the wife and I did a bit of cleaning this morning on the car because she wasn't overly impressed with the smell in 'her garage'.

The seller said the floor boards were solid and didn't have any rust. I didn't really get a chance to do a thorough inspection before purchase.

True to the seller's word, they seem very solid and I can't find any rust.

Seller warned me the battery tray was rusted out.

It's got 3 or 4 small rust holes but overall I was expecting much worse. It still can hold a battery but some remediation is probably required. Still happy with it.

Cool.

Cleaned a lot, seats are too bad actually. Current plan is to save the rear and recover the fronts.

I found this alternator/generator. Anyone know what it would be? Was part of a plan to do an alternator conversion?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

That Made in USA generator is not meant for a VW. A lot of chrome etc molded off your '67! Did you get any of it with the car? It would've looked like this '67 originally. You're missing the big black stock air cleaner on your engine.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Like Mike said, the Delco generator is from a mid 50'sto mid 60's GM (Chev, Pont, Buick, Olds).

I'm going to suggest you do like I mentioned to Temmet, go to the technical section (click on the link in the upper right, just below the banner), it defaults to type 2, so you'll have to click on type 3, then bring up the wiring diagram for your year (67), and download it to a memory stick. Take that to someone like Kinko's, and have them print it out (preferably larger), and have it laminated. This will make it easier to follow along for your wiring.

I'd also get a Haynes manual for type 3s, and a brown Bentley. I realize the brown Bentley is wrong for your year, but it contains everything you need for your 67 other than the carbs (what the Haynes is for). Or, you could spend a lot more, and buy the big Blue Bentley for 61-67 cars.

You might want to lay out what you got, so we can see if you're missing anything.
Looks like a nice project. Cool And I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
That Made in USA generator is not meant for a VW. A lot of chrome etc molded off your '67! Did you get any of it with the car? It would've looked like this '67 originally. You're missing the big black stock air cleaner on your engine.

I've got the big black stock air cleaner. I have the bumbers, head lights, tail lights, and what I think are all the door grabs, latches, and keyholes..etc. What I do know I am missing are the lower turn signals on all 4 corners. I can't seem to find them. I will have to scourer the classifieds for a set.

As well, I am missing the chroming running strips that run down the sides, I'm assuming they got damaged when there were removed for the paint job. I'm going to have to get new ones, are the ones I see available for sale good or not? I also see they have SS ones and Al ones. Any recommendations?

I have the chrome/Al trim pieces for around the windows but they are not in good shape, is it simpler to just order new ones or should I try to massages them back into shape? On my P-car it is common practice to just get new ones because once they are bent they will never fit right.

bobnotch wrote:

I'm going to suggest you do like I mentioned to Temmet, go to the technical section (click on the link in the upper right, just below the banner), it defaults to type 2, so you'll have to click on type 3, then bring up the wiring diagram for your year (67), and download it to a memory stick. Take that to someone like Kinko's, and have them print it out (preferably larger), and have it laminated. This will make it easier to follow along for your wiring.

Already on that. I love that the wiring diagram can fit on one page.

bobnotch wrote:

I'd also get a Haynes manual for type 3s, and a brown Bentley. I realize the brown Bentley is wrong for your year, but it contains everything you need for your 67 other than the carbs (what the Haynes is for). Or, you could spend a lot more, and buy the big Blue Bentley for 61-67 cars.

I already got the big blue one. I've never worked on carbs in my life so I need all the help I can get there.

Thanks for the help identifying the spare generator. The car was located with a lot of other cars so maybe it came from one of them. I'll try to remember to bring it back to the guy if he wants it.

I did a bit more cleaning to try to size things up and see if get ride of any mustyness.

This is the back. It's got some rust but I think I can salvage it all without having to weld in new metal. It seems to be mostly just surface rust. I think I will just clean it up and use something like rust bullet. After that I am going to give everything a good dose of fluid film. Overall I am still quite pleased with the condition of this car.

I also noticed that there are holes on the roof. I can only assume that these were for a roof rack. So I guess at this point I either have to patch the holes (I really don't want to) or find me a roof rack that fits. Any of you fine people have any idea what roof rack would line up with these holes?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I also noticed that there are holes on the roof. I can only assume that these were for a roof rack. So I guess at this point I either have to patch the holes (I really don't want to) or find me a roof rack that fits. Any of you fine people have any idea what roof rack would line up with these holes?

It looks like those holes would line up with a VWOA dealer accessory roof rack.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

I was looking at those earlier and it did sort of look like it could match. So now I either have to find one or plug the holes.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So I finally got it up on the hoist. Underneath looks decent to my untrained eyes. I am just going to post a bunch of pictures of the underside and wheel wells. Please tell me if any of you spot something that needs addressing.

To me it looks like the rubber bushing 'cold flowed' and needs to be replaced. This is common on porsches after a few decades. Is this the case here?

Can someone tell me exactly what engine I have in here?

I have had these sitting in my garage for years not being used. Bolt pattern is wrong and I am not sure the bore is big enough. What do you think?

Also here is a video of the muffler that came separate. Is this normal or how is it exactly suppose to fit/tighten?

.....still happy.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
So I finally got it up on the hoist. Underneath looks decent to my untrained eyes. I am just going to post a bunch of pictures of the underside and wheel wells. Please tell me if any of you spot something that needs addressing.

Tthis looks like the rubber bushing 'cold flowed' and needs to be replaced. This is common on porsches after a few decades. Is this the case here?

I have had these sitting in my garage for years not being used. Bolt pattern is wrong and I am not sure the bore is big enough. What do you think?

Also here is a video of the muffler that came separate. Is this normal or how is it exactly suppose to fit/tighten?
.....still happy.

The bottom looks pretty good for a 51 year old car.
Yes, those bushings probably need replacement. Since you're familiar with Porsche's, most of the same stuff applies on VW's.

It looks like someone forgot to install the under cylinder/above the push rod tubes on that engine (at least the 3-4 side). Don't know about the other (1-2) side.
As far as what size engine it is, there's no way of knowing without pulling a cylinder head.

The "Cookie cutter" rims do look good on a type 3, and others have used them before. You'll have to get the drums and hubs re-drilled for the Porsche pattern, and either drill the fronts or buy new rotors to use them. Pay attention to the offsets IF you decide to lower the car!!

As for that muffler nut, you'll want to replace the copper gasket inside, and then use a thin 46mm wrench to tighten it (preferably on the engine for alignment).
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

It looks like someone forgot to install the under cylinder/above the push rod tubes on that engine (at least the 3-4 side). Don't know about the other (1-2) side.

Sorry, what did they forget to install?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

The little air deflectors that fit the underside of each cylinder pair. Really bad for engine cooling to not have them! You have to loosen the heads and remove pushrods/tubes in order to install them (bummer).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687067

Either these (like on the bug or early cars):

...or better yet, these (aka, "cool tins"):
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The little air deflectors that fit the underside of each cylinder pair. Really bad for engine cooling to not have them! You have to loosen the heads and remove pushrods/tubes in order to install them (bummer).

...or better yet, these (aka, "cool tins"):

These things?

Am I missing anything else?

I found these three pieces of metal. I think the two on the right are for near the rear wheel but I don't know what the one on the left is for.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

https://www.vwispwest.com/pg90
You are looking for items 25 (preferred over 7 on a Type 3), and also check for others like 3, 4, 11, 12, 22, 23 which may also be missing. All are vital to cooling!

I don't think any of those 3 pieces in your last photo belong. The leftmost is a pulley tin for a Type 1 or 2. I don't recognize the right two; part of broken mudflap, maybe?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:

I was looking at those earlier and it did sort of look like it could match. So now I either have to find one or plug the holes.

Hard to tell from the photo angles - but, it looks like the front holes don't line up with the door gap. There's a roof support piece (above the headliner) that's centered with the door gap which should take the weight of the rack and cargo, instead of the sheet metal roof; while the hatch hinge support takes the weight of the rear. If the front mount holes aren't in line with the door gap, I'd patch them up; otherwise you'd be risking denting the roof if you carry any cargo on the rack.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
https://www.vwispwest.com/pg90
You are looking for items 25 (preferred over 7 on a Type 3), and also check for others like 3, 4, 11, 12, 22, 23 which may also be missing. All are vital to cooling!

I definitely do not have 22 or 23, those are called the lower or sled cooling tin correct? I will look at 3, 4, 11, and 12, tomorrow.

I also started researching the whole thermostat thing. Best I can tell is I have the linkage and flaps, you can even see the rod dangling down in one of the photos, but I do no have the actual thermostat or what it sits in. It's a novel thing to me as my aircooled 911 doesn't anything like that. It doesn't have any lower tins either.

Thanks again for the help.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="BSQUARE"]
old_man wrote:

Hard to tell from the photo angles - but, it looks like the front holes don't line up with the door gap. There's a roof support piece (above the headliner) that's centered with the door gap which should take the weight of the rack and cargo, instead of the sheet metal roof; while the hatch hinge support takes the weight of the rear. If the front mount holes aren't in line with the door gap, I'd patch them up; otherwise you'd be risking denting the roof if you carry any cargo on the rack.

I'll take a look tomorrow. I have the headliner completely out so it should be easy to see where the holes go. It could have also been installed incorrectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: