Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 67 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Erik G wrote:

for now... get it driving a bit. They aren't readily available. Ball joints are bolt on, so easyish later if you need to do them

Funny thing happens up here in a month or two. I don't think I will be driving it much until the spring. I'm just trying to keep myself busy/productive.

Yeah, that happens here in Michigan too. Usually by the end of November/beginning of December. I try to park mine for the winter in mid to late October. Why, because the county starts throwing salt due to heavy frost.

But Erik is right, ball joints are a bolt on. As for the needle bearings, check the trailing arms for wear, where they enter the bearings. The PO might not have greased them regularly and you'll see wear indicators on them. As for doing anything with the bearings, you really can't. For 1, they're NLA, and very hard to find, and 2, you need to make up some tooling to get the old ones out before you can replace them. Do a search on them, and see what others have done trying to save their beams. Myself, I have a good spare out in the shed. Wink You might find getting 1 from that parts car you got the windshield out of might still be good, or a good spare.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

But Erik is right, ball joints are a bolt on. As for the needle bearings, check the trailing arms for wear, where they enter the bearings. The PO might not have greased them regularly and you'll see wear indicators on them. As for doing anything with the bearings, you really can't. For 1, they're NLA, and very hard to find, and 2, you need to make up some tooling to get the old ones out before you can replace them. Do a search on them, and see what others have done trying to save their beams. Myself, I have a good spare out in the shed. Wink You might find getting 1 from that parts car you got the windshield out of might still be good, or a good spare.

I think I will leave the ball joints as is. I greased the suspension and some old grease came out. The fact that I had to dig through a lot of old undercoating to find the zerks leads me to believe the PO(s) did not grease them.

New question for you. Some of my parts came in the mail How would you go about removing the rail from this? I need to the rail. Just keep grinding away at it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

clean it up with a wire wheel , the spot welds will show up on the clean metal, then drill them out.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
clean it up with a wire wheel , the spot welds will show up on the clean metal, then drill them out.

Cut along the outside of the welds, then grind away at the metal underneath. Basically strip away what you don't want.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Cut along the outside of the welds, then grind away at the metal underneath. Basically strip away what you don't want.

Seems simple enough. Sort of what I was thinking as well.

Today was my swing day between day and night shifts so I had a bit of time. I got my new dash in.

Unfortunately it arrived in the mail with a crack but not much I can do about that. I tried to fit it over the old one but that wasn't going to work. It's just there by itself. I'm thinking about putting some spray foam in the void to firm things up. It took a bit of work to get it to fit. I found the trick was to use a heat gun and go slowly. Once it was in loosely to use more heat as you tighten screws and then give the whole thing one big blast of heat to eliminate any residual stresses.

I also took out the remained of my gauges in preparation for installing my new to me KMH speedo, tach, and auxiliary three pack of press/temp/volt. The gas gauge had something loose in it. It took a bit of investigation to figure out what it was.

I don't know how those two screws worked themselves loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Not much done today. 12hr night shifts take up a lot of my time.

Finished making may gas gauge look pretty.

I got my seat rail all ready.

I also played with the carbs some more. After watching some videos and reading a bit more I think I sorted them out. One of the prior POs really did a number on them. Among other things the arm that goes from the choke to the throttle was bent in such a way that it was impossible to properly function the choke. I hope this wasn't done to mask another problem.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

there are some dealer level guides posted here, the dual carb one really helped me out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklistendoitbetter.php

download this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/t3dualcarbtuning/index.php

the little guy is kinda creepy Laughing

I think the bottom image is the important one. I thought there were specs for the smaller ones too

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Seems simple enough. Sort of what I was thinking as well.

Today was my swing day between day and night shifts so I had a bit of time. I got my new dash in.

Unfortunately it arrived in the mail with a crack but not much I can do about that. I tried to fit it over the old one but that wasn't going to work. It's just there by itself. I'm thinking about putting some spray foam in the void to firm things up. It took a bit of work to get it to fit. I found the trick was to use a heat gun and go slowly. Once it was in loosely to use more heat as you tighten screws and then give the whole thing one big blast of heat to eliminate any residual stresses.

I also took out the remained of my gauges in preparation for installing my new to me KMH speedo, tach, and auxiliary three pack of press/temp/volt. The gas gauge had something loose in it. It took a bit of investigation to figure out what it was.

I don't know how those two screws worked themselves loose.

The pad came out looking good. There should also be 3 metal strips that are shaped with cut outs and such to help support around the screws. It might be in a different box of stuff though. Just a heads up.
No idea how the screws came loose either. I've seen and had that silver center cover come loose on several sets of gauges though.
Keep up the good work. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

The pad came out looking good. There should also be 3 metal strips that are shaped with cut outs and such to help support around the screws. It might be in a different box of stuff though. Just a heads up.

You really lost me. You taking about the dash pad? Well, the old dash had rubber grommets around the screws. I saw no strips.

Today I did a bit of running around in an attempt to stay awake. My wife is not around these days for me to get a second opinion on asthetics so here goes.

I found a third brake light. What do you think?

I also found for super cheap some 7" chrome buckets. This is one of the options I talked about a few pages back with headlights. I didn't do a good job of mocking them up for the picture.

Then I went to go weld in that missing seat rail. A wonderful surprise awaited me. There was no metal, only some sort of filler.

I did the best I could. Did I mention I really don't know how to weld? I improvised and did the best I could. I drilled a few holes in the piece I am welding to be able to have a place to weld. I think I read about doing this in one of my books.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I did the best I could. Did I mention I really don't know how to weld? I improvised and did the best I could. I drilled a few holes in the piece I am welding to be able to have a place to weld. I think I read about doing this in one of my books.

Hope you wire-wheeled the J-B Weld, or whatever that stuff is, off and patched the area, if necessary, before welding the rail on. If you did, those welds look pretty good.

You'll probably want to test the welds' strength before painting the pan and installing the seat, though, to be sure they'll hold your weight. Try kneeling outside the car, grab the rail, and give it some full-strength push/pulls.

If the rail breaks away - it's better to have it happen now, while it's exposed and easy to re-do, than once the car's together and on the road. If you can't break the rail off - it'll probably hold your weight while driving down a bumpy road.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

Hope you wire-wheeled the J-B Weld, or whatever that stuff is, off and patched the area, if necessary, before welding the rail on. If you did, those welds look pretty good.

I actually took a grinder to it and then hit it with brake cleaner once cool. It was shiny metal I was working with. I have no idea what that grey stuff is. Some bondo like substance I assumed because the grinder chewed through it like it was dust.

BSQUARE wrote:

You'll probably want to test the welds' strength before painting the pan and installing the seat, though, to be sure they'll hold your weight. Try kneeling outside the car, grab the rail, and give it some full-strength push/pulls.

If the rail breaks away - it's better to have it happen now, while it's exposed and easy to re-do, than once the car's together and on the road. If you can't break the rail off - it'll probably hold your weight while driving down a bumpy road.

I did some push and pulls. I could rock the car with it. I will probably give her more in the morning to ensure it is good to go.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Today started with me trying to dead lift the squareback via the seat rail I had just welded. Neither the seat rail or the car went anywhere. I then moved onto some electrics.

I bought a set of ISP gauges including a tach. It took a lot longer to put them all in due to a number of things that just popped up.

Firstly I didn't pay enough attention to the instructions. The wiring diagram provided shows two grounding points. I took that to mean you can ground it at either point. Nope, it must be grounded at both points. Strange but that's how it works and it seems other gauges work this way as well. I learned something new. I bypassed this by just soldering a wire from one point to the other. Ground is ground.

Next I think I was having some shorts due to the clamp/bar that holds the gauges down. Take a look.

You can see how any slight misalignment and that bar will touch one of these small studs which are the electrical connections. This lead to problems as the bar may or may not be grounded wrapping the bar in electrical tape solved the problem. I don't like using electrical tape but it does have it's place.

My last issue was trying to figure out why my gauge lights weren't working. It turns out that I think the rheostat died, possibly due to one of the shorts. To solve this I wired the gauge lights to the tail lights. I lose dimming capability but at least I have lights. I'm going to have to research a replacement.

The rat's next

The finished product.

I'm also still looking for opinions about that third brake light before I go drilling holes in the hatch.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

I think I'd break out the grinder and trim anywhere I think might hit. It may void your warranty, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing everything clears. Besides, what happens when the electrical tape unwinds from that spot leaving the goo behind.

If the light clears when the gate is open, I'd use it. It looks good there, and isn't as obnoxious as others I've seen (that look really bad or as an after thought).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I think I'd break out the grinder and trim anywhere I think might hit. It may void your warranty, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing everything clears. Besides, what happens when the electrical tape unwinds from that spot leaving the goo behind.

Hmm, I never thought about grinding the things down. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

Bobnotch wrote:

If the light clears when the gate is open, I'd use it. It looks good there, and isn't as obnoxious as others I've seen (that look really bad or as an after thought).

Thank you for your input. I'm still shopping around for them to see if there is one I really like.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

First on my block with this sweet 3rd brake light! Danny Byers is selling these new red & clear Hella glass lenses.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

I added the 3rd brake light to the licence plate frame on mine with a "hey wakeup" flasher strobe ( https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/ ) there is a new strip that is much brighter now on there than the one in the video.
http://vid165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/CDNBullyboy/SQUARE/ledtaillights_zps52dd23e5.mp4

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

I don't know, I think I like it up higher. Especially since most of the vehicles around here in my area are SUVs and 4X4 trucks. I don't know IF they can even see the rear bumper on our cars. Shocked
The plate frame might be ok, if the light was on the top side (more visible).
Just my thought on it after driving a type 34 and almost getting ran over by semis that couldn't see me. Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Speaking of which, I think I found a light I like more.

I also got my tie rod end in finally. Notice the difference between the two?

I also got my steering shaft all coupled up.

Lastly, I also installed new spark wires in my other car, what a difference that made.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

I liked your first 3rd brake light best, and I agree I like it high, make sure its not going to hit the rain gutter of course.

hahahaha on your tie rod end Very Happy

ground is ground on the gauges, the originals just grounded by fit against the dash Shocked
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I liked your first 3rd brake light best, and I agree I like it high, make sure its not going to hit the rain gutter of course.

I do as well. I played with it some more. Problem is the hatch is curved and the light is not. Easy to cheat and get away with it if it's a short light. Not so much if it's a longer one. I'll play with them some more tomorrow.

Erik G wrote:

hahahaha on your tie rod end Very Happy

Ya, I think it's the year after that they came out with the bigger one. Looks like have an extra tie rod now.

Erik G wrote:

ground is ground on the gauges, the originals just grounded by fit against the dash Shocked

That's what I thought. I guess these are a little different. The case is an insulator in this case even though it's made of metal. To be clear I am happy with the gauges. I think ISP has done a good job of providing us with a product that looks the way it does. It's just took me a bit of time to get my head wrapped around how to wire them up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 26

Jump to: