Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 67 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Speaking of which, I think I found a light I like more.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also got my tie rod end in finally. Notice the difference between the two?

I preferred the first one myself. A little creative grinding could make it fit better. Wink

Yup, up to mid 67's on the left, mid 67 and on, on the right. For 68, VW changed the inner bearing and race on the rotor/spindle. Just something to be aware of IF you ever need to replace the rotors.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="Bobnotch"]
I preferred the first one myself. A little creative grinding could make it fit better. Wink

Plastic and circuit boards don't take too kindly to grinding. I'll see what I can do.

Bobnotch wrote:

Yup, up to mid 67's on the left, mid 67 and on, on the right. For 68, VW changed the inner bearing and race on the rotor/spindle. Just something to be aware of IF you ever need to replace the rotors.

I inspected the bearings and rotors and they seem fine. The rotors look new, minus the surface rust.

I found a new contender. Here are all three

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Seat belt question/curiosity.

My Retrobelt 3 point seat belts just showed up in the mail. I went out to the car to see how exactly I was going to weld in a nut to the B pillar for the upper mount. To my surprise there is already a threaded and reinforced hole for the seat belt. I'm just curious why it is there if my car came with those next to useless lap belts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

shoulder belt mounts have been in VWs since 62.
My 65 square parts car had the euro shoulder belt only, no lap belts or floor mount on the door side.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
shoulder belt mounts have been in VWs since 62.
My 65 square parts car had the euro shoulder belt only, no lap belts or floor mount on the door side.

Well, I learned today.

Sort of made my day. I was looking forward to practicing my developing welding skills but on other hand it is nice knowing that such a critical component wasn't don't by me.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Can someone throw me a bone and tell me what accelerator cable I need? Is it 311.721.555G?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Can someone throw me a bone and tell me what accelerator cable I need? Is it 311.721.555G?

yes, thats the 66-67 US cable (and 66 - 73ish euro type carbed one without the linkage extension used on 64 and 65 S models)
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks.

Out with the old

In with the new
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Today I worked on my tube bending skills.

All new brake lines for the front including the two that go to the reservoir.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Today I worked on my tube bending skills.
All new brake lines for the front including the two that go to the reservoir.

You really shouldn't use fuel hose for the res hose connectors, as it'll start dissolving and contaminating the fluid. Best to use the blue hose that's made just for this job.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

You really shouldn't use fuel hose for the res hose connectors, as it'll start dissolving and contaminating the fluid. Best to use the blue hose that's made just for this job.

I was actually thinking about that yesterday and meant to research it today.

Edit: New hose bought and is being shipped to me. Thanks again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I was actually thinking about that yesterday and meant to research it today.

Edit: New hose bought and is being shipped to me. Thanks again.

No problem. I found out about this the hard way back in 1989 with my 2nd type 3, as the PO had plumbed the brake system feed pipes with fuel hose. I was doing a front hose replacement on new calipers and had black bits coming out of the steel lines to the hoses. The MC was just pushing it (the bits of rubber) thru. I had the same thing happening at the rear as well, but not as bad.Then 1 day it seemed like the MC wasn't doing anything, so I replaced it (local reman unit) and installed the proper blue hose (had done some investigating). It's been good since, but I should flush the fluid one of these days (in both type 3s), as it's getting dark with age.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So today I replaced, or more aptly put, installed a shifter bushing. There was none before. That was an interesting ordeal. Reinserting the shift rod the whole way was a bit of a challenge, reinstalling the coupling at the back proved to be more of a challenge however.

My issue now is I don't seem to have reverse. I knew I had it at one point. (I have never driven the car but just moving the lever through the gears). I can't remember if it disappeared before or after I installed the bushing. I'm hoping it will all go away once the clutch is adjusted and the transmission starts turning.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
So today I replaced, or more aptly put, installed a shifter bushing. There was none before. That was an interesting ordeal. Reinserting the shift rod the whole way was a bit of a challenge, reinstalling the coupling at the back proved to be more of a challenge however.

My issue now is I don't seem to have reverse. I knew I had it at one point. (I have never driven the car but just moving the lever through the gears). I can't remember if it disappeared before or after I installed the bushing. I'm hoping it will all go away once the clutch is adjusted and the transmission starts turning.

Unbolt the shifter, and spin the flat plate with the lip (lock out) around.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Unbolt the shifter, and spin the flat plate with the lip (lock out) around.

Tried it both ways. Installed it like the Bentley ways to. First thing I thought of as well
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

And solved....I think.

I followed some instructions on adjusting the lockout plate. Turns out my earlier method of 'just bolt the sucker down' was not the correct one.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So today I'm trying to replace my front shocks. Should be a simple enough job. Unfortunately I can't get enough room for the lower shock bolt. There is a plate in the way. What is it?

The only thing I can think of is someone bolted it on so they could tow the car on all 4 wheels. I'm good to permanently take this off right? To me this looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I fear it ill get caught on a pothole at highspeed and tear the front beam off.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

yes. interesting tow bar mount Think
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

So I replaced all the shocks. Not exactly rocket surgery but it did have its moments. As predicted the front lower shock sleeves stayed behind on the pins. I had to execute some carful grinding to get them to release. Here is what is left of one of the pins.

I grinded just enough to get it to crack.

Here are a couple more pictures of the tow bar mount I pulled off. It seems very well built and purpose built for a T3. I don't think someone slapped this together in their shed.

Lastly, digging through my boxes of new parts I have this:

I am looking to replace the seal on the transmission for the shift rod. I looked at it last night and I don't have any of those brass parts on my transmission. Do I just use the seal and that's it?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
So I replaced all the shocks. Not exactly rocket surgery but it did have its moments. As predicted the front lower shock sleeves stayed behind on the pins. I had to execute some carful grinding to get them to release. Here is what is left of one of the pins.

I grinded just enough to get it to crack.

Here are a couple more pictures of the tow bar mount I pulled off. It seems very well built and purpose built for a T3. I don't think someone slapped this together in their shed.

Lastly, digging through my boxes of new parts I have this:

I am looking to replace the seal on the transmission for the shift rod. I looked at it last night and I don't have any of those brass parts on my transmission. Do I just use the seal and that's it?

That's an interesting tow bar mount. They even went back into the body mounts to spread the load out.

Normally when the shock bushing rusts in place, I warm it up with my torch, then remove it with my pipe wrench.

I bet you do have those brass bushing parts in your trans. Once you get it off, you'll see it. Type 3 transmissions are basically the same as a type 1 trans, but with different (better) gearing.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 26

Jump to: