Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the straightest split bus you have seen?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

My '59 is original paint, no collision damage to speak of. It's funny to see all the ripples tween the ribs, the puckering around the spot welds on the dog legs and the rear fender wells. I imagine none of that was there when it was sold, but came about over the years due to metal stress.
I have a '65 standard sunroof that I had painted over ten years ago, still shiny, but no sign of this metal fatigue, instead I get bondo cracks where the painter laid it down thick. I wonder If in ten years, assuming these glass window Long panel buses are actually ever driven, what those panels will look like.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can't tell you how many hours i spent blocking out the side panels. Many, many layers of alternating colors of primer to get it straight.

Last edited by matthew henricks on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Before pic of Dawn's bus:

Amazing how good it looks now.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Rustyscrew wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

I remember seeing this bus in Person at a show in CA a few years ago and thinking how straight it was. A highroof has a huge long panel and this one was straight.

If I'm correct, this bus had a rollover accident before restored to this condition. I've seen this one many times as the owner lives near me. He does amazing work, and most of what he does is "over restored", as I personally prefer.

^^^ you are correct there is a "before" picture of the bus sitting in front of it- am not a huge fan of over restored- but given the amount of crash damage it had i think i can get over it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Rick Clark's SWR/CB barndoor is pretty damn straight and is an older restoration, too.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

This thread is like walking through the Beaux Arts (look at my trophy wife) Festival in Boise- Botox, Botox, Silicone, Collagen implant, Botox, Silicone, Botox, Botox...

I prefer my bus body all natural baby.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DiggerD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Anyone know who’s bus that is?

Malokin Martin wrote:
Can’t hide the filler that makes it straight when it’s clear coated

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
doublecabmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

c'mon guys, they were never that straight from the factory! But some of those sure look pretty!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

marksch wrote:
Mine is pretty straight. Smile

That's before the wheel flew away?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Can’t hide the filler that makes it straight when it’s clear coated

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

a super-straight bus just looks like plastic filler to me...cause thats what it takes.

over restored Brick wall
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Original panel and original paint. Waves.

marksch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Mine is pretty straight. Smile

Rustyscrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

I remember seeing this bus in Person at a show in CA a few years ago and thinking how straight it was. A highroof has a huge long panel and this one was straight.

If I'm correct, this bus had a rollover accident before restored to this condition. I've seen this one many times as the owner lives near me. He does amazing work, and most of what he does is "over restored", as I personally prefer.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:
My bus also was extremely straight after the paint job, with a minimum of bondo. But now I drive it, there have become more than one slightest curves at the long side. That's just the decision you have to take, keep it straight or just use it. Wink

Nice looking bus mate. Did it need much metalwork before paint, just out of interest?

I was quite a job, for about nearly three years now.
See topic here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

JimJonkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

My only restored bus, pretty straight but i prefer them unrestored....(like the one behind it)

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

sled wrote:

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Those two look really nice. I can see why some would call them over restored, but IMO you cant beat the look of arrow straight bus Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
My bus also was extremely straight after the paint job, with a minimum of bondo. But now I drive it, there have become more than one slightest curves at the long side. That's just the decision you have to take, keep it straight or just use it. Wink

Nice looking bus mate. Did it need much metalwork before paint, just out of interest?

mdege wrote:
Hey, these were mostly commercial vehicles at the time and they were never perfect when they came from the factory.

I love nicely restored buses, but I prefer buses which tell their history.

I don't believe in better than new.

I agree that its nice to see a vehicle that shows its history. My oval is all OG paint and I love it... But a lot of them need blasting / restoring so the history is lost Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: