Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hesitation, bucking and stalling
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

So I finally got my 77 Bay Window on the road this summer. Ended up bringing to a mechanic to do the work. After a month of success(ish) in the van, I'm back wrestling problems again. Cruising along, it just dies and shuts off. I can pull over and fire it up and keep going right away. Also 4th gear seems to lose power, I can feel the van slowing down and sputtering so I fly back to 3rd and am usually able to limp back to 4th gear and resume before it shuts off again.

Any ideas on where to start?

Recent work done in last few months.....New fuel pump and filter, replaced 2 fuel injectors, timing, new points and condensor, compression issues and push rods problem dealt with.

I pulled the filter out and short of busting it open to look at the guts, it looks clean.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Replace the filter again, just do it it’s cheap. This sounds like fuel starvation to me. It will at least eliminate the cheapest easiest possibility and will most likely fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Ya, I've got a few coming in the mail.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Have you tested the Temp Sensor II?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

I did read about somebody else arriving at the Temp Sensor II....I ordered in another one just incase.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Clean up the connection (notably the electrical connection) and make sure it is snug on the head but don't reef on it.

That costs nothing to do and you can do it in about 10 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

When the temp sensor in my 77 fi 2 l engined bus went bad, it would stall, seemingly randomly. I could start it again. It happened more often.
There is a procedure in The book on testing it with a volt ohm meter
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

When the temp sensor in my 77 fi 2 l engined bus went bad, it would stall, seemingly randomly. I could start it again. It happened more often.
There is a procedure in The book on testing it with a volt ohm meter

Here is The Book...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

I'm measuring about 1900 on the sensor,on a cold van. Which I was told to be somewhere closer to 3000. Being about 2/3 of what it should be, should this be cause for concern, or can this number vary?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Egan Custom Guitars wrote:
I'm measuring about 1900 on the sensor,on a cold van. Which I was told to be somewhere closer to 3000. Being about 2/3 of what it should be, should this be cause for concern, or can this number vary?

On a summer day that sounds about right. A freezing cold morning can still get you into the upper 2k ohm range with your current reading.

Do the problems persist more when the engine is fully warmed up? If so, test the TS2 resistance for under 400 ohms warmed up.

The TS2 can be completely bypassed (eliminated) on a warm engine by grounding the white wire to a clean metal screw nearby. You'll need a short bit of thin wire, and a good connection to the white wire and clean ground. The car won't start well cold, and it won't drive smoothly until warmed up, so this is only a temporary test or an emergency "get home" fix, not an actual repair.

Does the problem EVER happen in the lower gears?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3"]
Egan Custom Guitars wrote:

On a summer day that sounds about right. A freezing cold morning can still get you into the upper 2k ohm range with your current reading.

Do the problems persist more when the engine is fully warmed up? If so, test the TS2 resistance for under 400 ohms warmed up.

The TS2 can be completely bypassed (eliminated) on a warm engine by grounding the white wire to a clean metal screw nearby. You'll need a short bit of thin wire, and a good connection to the white wire and clean ground. The car won't start well cold, and it won't drive smoothly until warmed up, so this is only a temporary test or an emergency "get home" fix, not an actual repair.

Does the problem EVER happen in the lower gears?

Robbie

I would say that it mostly happens when the bus is fully warmed and cruising for a bit. It has happened in all gears, sometimes cruising along in 4th or hitting 2nd gear after a stoplight.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

I’m gonna take a shot here on the fuel/electrical side.

1. Check and clean all the FI grounds perfectly?
2. Possible fuel starvation (filter mentioned), up stream of filter..creating fuel tank vacuum of some sort?

Following.
Curt
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

~1900 ohms is about right on a cold engine, but as it gets warmed up is what is important.

If the sensor is faulty or has a poor connection, the ECU always thinks (through too much resistance) that the engine is still cold and sends too rich of a mixture to the engine. The engine will get all jerky and it will feel like it is running out of gas.

It is tests OK when warm, move on.
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

I just went for a few laps around the farm in the bus, about 10 minutes not getting past 2nd gear, it's also 33 celsius outside. When I got back I was measuring 104 on the sensor.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

The outside air temp doesn't matter, it is the engine temp that counts.

Have you done a fuel pressure test?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175058&highlight=l-tronic+fuel+pressure+test
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

I myself haven't done a fuel pressure test.....but I had my bus with one of the better VW mechanics here on the coast, and he went through the whole fuel system and checked fuel pressure. He replaced the filter, pump and 2 of the injectors.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Can you take it back to him?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

sounds like a filter unless it started right after you were working on it. If it just gradually got worse it might just be the filter. So many of these buses sat for years and never had the tanks professionally cleaned before bringing them back to life.

check the dwell just on the possibility that it is a broken rubbing block on the points.
Egan Custom Guitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, it seems as though I will be replacing my fuel tank. I actually did end up swapping in a new temp sensor and it ran great right away and was able to put about 100k on it. And then the next morning it would not fire up. I ended up ordering in a few spare filters as well. The flow from the outlet on the tank to the fuel filter was a slow dribble, so I suspect a pile of crud is sitting at the bottom of the tank.

And ideas or tips?
Re-furb the old tank or just swap in a new one? The plan would be to do the fuel lines at the same time
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, bucking and stalling Reply with quote

New tanks are available I see.....

http://www.busdepot.com/211201075l

Easiest to do with the engine out. That way you can also easily change out all of the fuel lines, clean up the engine compartment, and even paint up the tinwork. Change out the injector seals and intake runner hoses while you are at it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: