Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcinnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

After removing the carpet from my son's '66 Bug, I see someone in the past opened up the tunnel on the left side just forward of the shifter. (Photo below) Looks like three cuts were made and a flap folded down to gain access to the inside, then the flap was folded back up but not welded shut. This doesn't look too good to me, and my brother-in-law (mechanical engineering professor) looked at it and agrees - should be welded shut. My welder friend is asking if there is paint or other coating on the inside that could be flammable. I don't think so, but do any of you know? Any thoughts/warnings about welding in this area? Of course we know the fuel line is here, so we'll need to deal with that, but anything else? Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Have a fire extinguisher handy and a water hose.

Weld er up!

The car needs the tunnel strength.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Interesting, maybe the clutch cable tube weld broke towards the front of the car. I had to replace the whole clutch cable tube in my '66 years ago. The welds broke at all the mounts and about 5" of the tube broke off the back. I opened it up with a hole saw where needed and welded it up after welding in the new tube. No issues, just protect the interior from the sparks.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

I think I would pry it open and have a look at the welds before I wielded it shut maybe they did a good job maybe not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I think I would pry it open and have a look at the welds before I wielded it shut maybe they did a good job maybe not

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663513&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

It’s been this way how long? My only critique would be when gaining access to this area its preferable to use a hole saw held off center to make something resembling a half moon. Doing that avoids making right angle cuts and making stress risers. I’ve driven cars with this modification for years without a problem and rather than weld it up we folded it shut so that we could regain access at a later time if needed. At the very least I’d peek inside to inspect whatever repairs were made and check workmanship. Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

I have drilled 1/4 inch holes in the tunnel to access welding cable tubes back in place, hook the tube with a stiff wire, pull against the hole you drilled, and weld tube thru the hole to the tunnel.

Gasoline, from leaks in the fuel system can build up in there, even a leak tank outlet hose can get fuel inside. Grease, and oil from the hand brake, heater control can get inside, gear lube from the tranny nose, etc...

Open it enough to get your nose in there, what it smell like? As always, know what you weld, check both sides. I believe the pan was submerged in a vat for painting, so inside should be painted. I simply welded thru it, MIG welder can cut thru paint and junk, sometimes you just have to live with it. But enclosed spaces should always be checked before welding, so peel the flap back and check out. Inspect the old repair that it is still holding fine, done well, you dont want to have to reopen it up later for a fail at the same spot

Idea One of them new fangled boroscope fiber optic cameras would be cool for this job.

When I weld, biggest fire extinguisher is within easy reach, garden hose primed and nozzle at the ready. I never weld inside my garage, I only weld inside if it is in a dedicated safe welding area, I wont even use a spark making grinder in my garage. I am fire adverse. Fought too many for my taste. My garage is too crowded, to many close by nooks and crannies, stuff stored on floor, for red hot stuff to splatter, causing some old paper or rag behind a box under a bench to smolder for a while before bursting in flames. Its an attached garage, my home is not worth the risk.

Stay fire safe, and BUG ON! Very Happy

PS if tunnel is fume smelling, open both the cut flap and the tranny shift coupling cover that is under rear seat bottom, use a shop vac on blow, or leaf blower to dry it out. It is gassy, you may have a rusted out fuel tube, or leaky tank, tank fitting, hose, etc... Leaks at bottom of tank can get past old shrunk grommets for the fuel tube where enters tunnel under tank. So check under the tank for leaks, smells, wetness before welding.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

My 1970's tunnel has such access flap further back, the clutch tube was welded by a VW mechanic at least 3 decades ago. My flap was never re-welded.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

I wish I could find the thread, but I can't. Someone posted on their lowered VW with such a hole, they barreled across RR tracks and folded the tunnel, ruining the car. Weld it up after checking inside.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

I agree, it needs to be welded up, I worked on a 54 t1 that was hacked like that and it had started to crack at all four corners. It's part of the chassis strength.

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Id go with weld it up. But before you do make sure everything inside is good and is going to last for a long time! This will give you a good window of opportunity to replace a shift rod bushing if you need to and make sure all the welds inside are good. That bushing will be easier to replace with that flap there.
mcinnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Thank all for all the great suggestions and advice. As suggested I bent the tab open and got some photos of the inside to see if the inside parts are good. To my untrained eye it seems ok - what do you say? The bottom of the tunnel looks pretty greasy, but no smell of fuel anyway.

As far as I can tell, the shift rod bushing looks ok.

I was considering replacing the fuel line while it's opened and before welding - good idea based on the photos?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

You might consider pulling up the rear seat and removing the tunnel inspection plate.
Have a look at the trans nose cone seal.

The inside of the tunnel should be pretty dry. Not moist like yours currently is.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

mcinnisp wrote:

I was considering replacing the fuel line while it's opened and before welding - good idea based on the photos?

I do not see what repair , if any, was done in there!

Fuel line . . . "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Simply as a comparison, here's my '70 . . . the bracket broke right under the tube, and then the bracket also came loose from its attachment point at the right side of the tunnel . . .

mcinnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

I don't know what was fixed in this either, if anything. I have no idea when it was done or by who.

Here as suggested are photos of (I think) the transmission nose cone seal. I'm guessing this should be drier than it looks. Sad

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Looks juicy!
If it were mine . . . I'd clean that up a bit, check/top-off the transaxle gear oil, and have another look at that seal in a few weeks.
OR . . . replace the seal now . . . unless future plane include removing the engine and/or transaxle.
mcinnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

Well, is there anything else that could be making the bottom inside of the tunnel greasy other than from the transmission? No smell of gas by the way.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

That area looks perfect. Inspection hole was probably made to facilitate ease of replacing the clutch cable.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

mcinnisp wrote:
Well, is there anything else that could be making the bottom inside of the tunnel greasy other than from the transmission? No smell of gas by the way.

I have never experienced it personally, but I have heard it suggested that a master cylinder can leak and the fluid can get into the tunnel . . . I do not know if it is a fact!
Brake fluid will loosen any paint, so that might be a clue for ya.

Gasoline will smell for awhile before it evaporates . . . First smell like gasoline and then like varnish.

If you take a whiff . . . gear oil is kinda stinky! Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel opened in past but not welded shut - what now? Reply with quote

mcinnisp wrote:

I don't know if it's possible. But on later bugs. If the brake master cylinder leaks. The fluid can get into the tunnel.
But brake fluid strips paint pretty quickly. Take a swipe with a shop rag in that visible area. And see if any paint comes off.
If not. suspect trans gear lube. But it stinks like sulfur.

Good Luck.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: