Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

My headlight plugs came today, so did the headlight to fender seals.
Where exactly do these seals go? Embarassed

Also found a set of NOS handles from Aircooled Museum.
Is the passenger side supposed to have a keyed button or is it just the drivers side? I don't remember what I had on the car before!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

The headlight assembly to fender seal goes around the outside of the lip on the fender, laying flat between the fender and the light assembly.

I believe the passenger outside locking handle wasn't standard until the '66 model, though it very well may have been an option before that. Normally only the driver's handle would have a key lock on a '64.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks! Glad I got all the right stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I did a thing today... Got the headlights installed - Mukluk, those headlight plugs are genius! Then took it for a spin real fast.
My turn signal "flash" seems to be real slow... any idea where to start? New relay time?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Looking good. Cool

The slow flasher may just be six volts doing what it does best: be lazy. It couldn't hurt to swap it out for another flasher relay if you want to give it a go, they're fairly cheap.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Got to talk to the original owner of my bug today. He's 92 and remembered the car well. The family is looking to see if they have any photos or anything related to the car.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The headlight assembly to fender seal goes around the outside of the lip on the fender, laying flat between the fender and the light assembly.

I believe the passenger outside locking handle wasn't standard until the '66 model, though it very well may have been an option before that. Normally only the driver's handle would have a key lock on a '64.

My '65 has a keyed passenger side handle.

Beautiful car!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

My engine lid latch seems to be misaligned and "slides up" every time I use it. Am I missing something? The catch likes to rotate 90* and often if it isn't it does slide too far up making it such that it can't grab the lip on the rear apron.

Got my wipers installed today. There is some play in the shafts within the threaded tubes. Not sure if this means I need new shafts or what. But it's not too bad. I'll leave it on for now and will order whatever is needed.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Post up some pics of the decklid latch issue you're having. It could be bent, something worn, a missing guide plate, or missing a washer among other possibilities.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Sorry, and thanks Mukluk. I should have known better.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Looks like the latch plate is bowed to me, especially how the top end opposite the hook has a decent gap between it and the decklid in the first picture. I'd flatten the latch plate as much as possible so that it stays within the guide ribs pressed into the decklid lower panel.

Just to add: if you have a washer between the latch plate and the decklid, it needs to be moved so that it's between the bellcrank and nut.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

That would make sense. This is the same mechanism from when the car was rear ended. I'll get a new one from WW. Unless you think originals are better?
My handle is the original, re chromed. I hope I can still use that.

Mukluk, any chance you can post a photo of the "order" things should be installed in?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I prefer to stick with the original parts whenever possible. From what I can see there's no reason to replace what you have, it just needs a bit of tweaking. When installing the decklid T handle, I find it best to tighten it down rather snug so that the handle is difficult to move, then back it off just enough that the handle can be turned freely. If the nut is too loose the latch is more apt to pop out of its track.

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

You're awesome.
I suppose a little grease to the track should help too?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I just got a set of door handles that are PERFECT. They have an SC code however and my ignition is SU. Can I just swap the key cylinders or are these completely different keyways?
I know to leave the key in the old cylinder while removing it so the wafers don't fall out, and I see the small screw on the handle to remove the mechanism that has the cylinder in it. Just curious if the SU cylinder will fit in a handle that has an SC in it now.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Your call on greasing the track, but keep it light if you do.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

My car is almost done! It's taken me almost 2 years on and off, through a pandemic, a nasty break up of sorts, and tons of other drama - but the finish line is now in sight!

I ordered a set of trim rings from JBugs for my 15" wheels. Is anyone familiar with these? They look like they cover the entire outer lip of the wheel whereas the OE ones looked like they left a little "skin showing" so you could see the painted center dome and the contrasting wheel ring.
Are these the same way?
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Your 64 came out looking beautiful. If you still have problems with the deck lid handle I wonder if the nut and star washer are not staying tight as they should, maybe a Ny-Lock nut would help if that is the problem. Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

True but it also could have been parts destined for those of us who drive on the wrong side of the road and the driver is on the right.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Well, the car is in the final stretch. It’s road legal, running, driving, stopping; watertight and looking like a car.
The radio is off being evaluated for rebuild though I do have a RetroSound sitting in the garage. Decided last minute that it might be wiser to upgrade my Sapphire I to get FM and give up the Bluetooth and Sirius XM. Honest I’m a bit torn because the radio is a nice companion when alone in the car.
I need to finish detailing out the engine bay. Pretty much everything is powder coated. Have to get my restored big cap distributor in. I had it in last night but the car didn’t want to start with it in this morning - odd? I feel like I’m missing some decals and such too. I know there isn’t much “color” in the engine compartment but I feel like it missing a little something. If anyone has a photo of a proper detailed compartment please share!
Debating reverse lights and hoping to find some period accessories to round it out.

Last edited by obnoxiousblue on Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: