Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I got my engine installed today and wired up. My 6V battery is dead as a door nail - I'll have to buy a new one.
We used a 12V battery to start it and once the engine started (and sounded good!) it cut off. Absent the bulb in the Gauge which I am replacing anyway - I'm curious if a 6V car should run on the generator like a 12V car can run on the alternator even when there is no battery. A friend suggested that the 6V cars may need to have a battery in line to stay running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Among the parts I ordered were new locking front door handles too. They come with an SC KEY, has anyone transferred their lock cylinders from an original set of handles to a new set?

Did transferring the cylinder work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Nope. To be honest though, of all the WW products I’ve bought, I’ve found these didn’t impress me as much. Many of their parts are real serious quality and look, fit, and feel great. These, the cast is different and the just don’t feel as “confident” and solid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I'm curious if a 6V car should run on the generator like a 12V car can run on the alternator even when there is no battery. A friend suggested that the 6V cars may need to have a battery in line to stay running.

A generator equipped car can and should run without a battery, but it's not a good idea to do so for any real length of time. One should absolutely never run an alternator equipped car without a battery however.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Ok. So I need to figure out what I'm missing.
The generator light up front is red or green? I have no red - I do have green.
Iirc, the charging circuit runs through the light, right?
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Nope. To be honest though, of all the WW products I’ve bought, I’ve found these didn’t impress me as much. Many of their parts are real serious quality and look, fit, and feel great. These, the cast is different and the just don’t feel as “confident” and solid.

Thank you for the details. Saved me from buying them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Gen light is Red. Oil pressure is green.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

The charging circuit doesn't normally run through the red light per se, the light illuminates only when doing a bulb check or there's a problem with the charging circuit. With the red bulb not illuminating with the green during a bulb check, make sure you don't have a bad bulb or socket, the terminal bar in the speedometer where the bulb socket contacts isn't broken or corroded, you have good continuity through the blue wire running from the bulb socket back to terminal 61 on the VR, and that you have good continuity to ground at terminal 61 of the VR with the engine not running.

The generator should work regardless of whether the warning bulb does or not. If the generator has been sitting for a while or rebuilt, you may need to polarise it. http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

I'd still recommend you hold off running the car until you have a battery installed. While the risk of damaging a generator setup is less than an alternator, it can still happen.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

So, I put in a new battery and replaced the bulbs in the gauge. The car starts, runs, and stays running. All seems good here.

I went to install my new headlights today. The housings come with glass, but no bulbs. I’ve customarily known these as sealed beams - like my 77 bus had, excel these sit inside the housing. I ordered new bulbs from WW, but they’re literally just bulbs. No glass “sealed beam” to nest inside the housing.

Did I order the wrong bulbs? Am I supposed to order another piece here?
Can I get these at my FLAPS?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

If you have the US spec headlamp assemblies with a non-fluted lens, they use standard H6006 7" round sealed beam bulbs available through most any FLAPS (you may have to order them). From the sound of things you ordered Euro spec H1/H3 bulbs.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks.
It’s a h6006 even if I’m running 6 volt?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

H6006 is 6v, H6024 is 12v. Wink
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

The previous owner of my car had cut the headlight plugs at some point.
Now that the car is painted up and all fixed, I ran the wires through new rubber conduits. I don't want to use butt connectors and tape to reinstall the three-prong-plug adapters.
I notice that the wires enter the back of the plastic plug at 90 degrees, where can I get these spade connectors?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Test fitting just so I can "see the light at the end of the tunnel" - it's looking more and more like a car!

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Try Goodspeed. I've had good luck with them. I believe you need the flag connectors.

https://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/electrical-hardware-tools/electrical-connectors-and-crimpers/
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Or you can swap over to the original style headlight plug which doesn't require wire terminal ends. Each wire connection is spring loaded, so you depress the tab, insert the stripped wire end, then release the tab; it works just like the speaker connections on a home stereo head unit.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941165C
bushz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Beautiful car, Great job
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Or you can swap over to the original style headlight plug which doesn't require wire terminal ends. Each wire connection is spring loaded, so you depress the tab, insert the stripped wire end, then release the tab; it works just like the speaker connections on a home stereo head unit.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941165C

This, this is why I come here. You sir have made my day. Thank you.

bushz wrote:
Beautiful car, Great job

Thanks! It’s almost done. I can’t wait.

Also, I’m using clear front turn signals on my car. Would the car have come with amber bulbs or clear bulbs? I realize that local law does say I should use amber. I just haven’t found 6V amber bulbs.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Clear bulbs the lenses should be yellow/orange. Looks like your front turn signal housings are the earlier design.

above for 1964-69

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Correct. When I got my car it had the 64 style (the car is a 64)
I liked the smaller peanut style ones, and since they fit the same holes without making any changes to the fenders I figur3d it was a simple, innocent mod that was super easy to change back. So,I’m decided to run the peanuts with clear lenses.

Got my front bumper on. Took some finesse. Was tough to get the holes and all to align and the kinks set in a comfortable position.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

If you were running 12v they do make an amber version of an 1156 bulb, but unfortunately there's no amber 1129 bulb for sale that I can find. The only 6v amber bulbs I'm seeing are a number 63 (~4.5 watt single filament, too dim for signals) or an amber version of an 1154 dual filament bulb. The 1154's bright filament is bright enough for signals, but you'd have to come up with some way to adapt it to your car. Another possible option would be to pick up some transparent amber glass paint and paint some 1129 bulbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: