Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Beetle Brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kramer79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I did my first attempt at new brakes...put all new pads, wheel cylinders , springs, flex hoses one hard line, and then I did an adjustment... backed off on the stars after a bit of drag. Bled the brakes with the pump a few times and hold method, some bubbles and old dirty stuff came out into the bottle. Got excited to drive it and put it all back together. So.... the pedal goes to the floor, and the last tiny bit, near the floor, almost stops the car... and the e brake is not much better and won’t stop the car. (Don’t ask how I got it back in the garage)

Do I need to bleed more? Could the pads have come that loose all of a sudden? Master cylinder? Thanks... not sure what to do... I can bleed again the tires on right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

What ORDER did you bleed the brakes in?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Kramer79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Right rear left rear right front left front...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

If the parking brake doesn't hold VW on like 4 clicks, then the rea brakes are not adjusted tight enough.

Recommend adjusting all four wheels tight (yes, can adjust and bleed with tires on), THEN doing the bleeding. When pedal is tight, back off each brake adjustment a hair !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Kramer79 wrote:
Right rear left rear right front left front...

You need to bleed the front axle first and the rear axle last.

Also need to adjust all brake stars for full lock of each shoe against the drum.

Lastly get the "Volkswagen Official Service Manual" for your year and type of VW, NOW.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

With that manual in hand you can work smarter.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Would also help to have some history info on the beetle and brake parts, especially the master cylinder, flex hoses, etc... Like you just got it out of a field where it sat for 10 years, or you have been driving it with no problems for several months and the DPO drove it daily.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

This is TOTALLY wrong. The OP did it correctly.

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Then why does our original 1500 type 3 and type 2 1963-67 workshop manuals, and the Service manuals ( two manuals for type 1 and two for the type 2) have this info in them?

Get out any of the VW produced manuals you have and start reading up.
Kramer79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Yeah all my info said farthest from the master first.. I think the e brake not catching makes the tighten plan the first attempt...now to remember the way those stars turn Shocked thanks!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Then why does our original 1500 type 3 and type 2 1963-67 workshop manuals, and the Service manuals ( two manuals for type 1 and two for the type 2) have this info in them?

Did you see my photo above??

Please post a photo of this info off your manuals.

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

That manual is for pre-1967 beetles with single circuit MC.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Did you see my photo above??

Please post a photo of this info off your manuals.

Now, now boys. Play nice...after all you're both right Wink

Bentley specifies front right first

Chilton, Haynes specify rear right first
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
That manual is for pre-1967 beetles with single circuit MC.

Wrong again:

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Bentley specifies front right first

Chilton, Haynes specify rear right first

You might be correct, I've heard the orange bentley says one thing and the blue Bentley says another (why I asked for a photo.) So I'll stick with my Chilton's which doesn't change its mind halfway through publications Very Happy

1600 SP engine
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

I adjust all shoes tight to the drums and bleed the fronts first then move to the backs on a dual master cylinder.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

First one is from the 1966-69 type 1 Bentley.

These two are from 1970-79 Bentley.

Since VW started installing the dual circuit MC in 1967, Bentley at least kept up with the change.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Why would they say start with the front right?? Confused

Anyway, I need to bleed my brakes in the next few days- be interesting to try this order (right front. left front, right rear, left rear) and see if it makes a difference...

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

dual brake bleeding according to Delius, Klasing & Co. VW Service Manual printed 1968

From the hard to find over here in the N. America "Volkswagen Service Manual VW 1300 1500. Page 252

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

There is technically no reason to start at either the front or the rear on a dual circuit system. I guess bleeding the front brakes first gives the mechanic a faster sense of accomplishment though Laughing

On the single circuit system you start at the rear because it is furthest away from the master cylinder, and all the brakes are on one hydraulic circuit. On a dual circuit, the front and rear are on different circuits, it makes no difference which is done first, so long as you do the furthest brake on either circuit first, then the closest on that circuit, before moving to the next circuit.

Yes we can bicker over the manuals ad-nauseum. Whatever. But doing the rear first isn't going to make your brakes not work, that points to a different issue.

Also when you adjust the brakes - it's ok if you hear/feel some drag. Rookies make the mistake of backing off until they feel none.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Brakes Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Fair enough.

Why would they say start with the front right?? Confused

Anyway, I need to bleed my brakes in the next few days- be interesting to try this order (right front. left front, right rear, left rear) and see if it makes a difference...

Because you always start on each axle on the wheel farthest away from the MC. Wish VW stated that, because folks who drive on the LH side of the road like the UK, and Nippon have the MC on the RH side of the VW....

Also helps hugely not to pound on the brake pedal when bleeding. That sends shock waves thru the brake fluid breaking up really easy to bleed large air bubbles into much smaller harder to bleed bubbles.

Same with brake fluid. Resist the temptation to shake the bottle and fill the fluid with small air bubbles.

Have changed to DOT 5 brake fluid which does not have the water and rust problem the other fluids have by sucking moisture right out of the air. Went from pulling the all the cylinders apart every 18 to 24 months with DOT 3 to remove rust and inspect, to eight years and needing to replace piston seals. Only problem with the DOT 5 with daily driving is it is thicker and thusly easier to get small bubbles in it when poured. To help with this, like to pour in the fluid and let it sit over night at least. Next day bleed the brakes.
Good habit to bleed brakes with DOT 5 once a year in the Spring, do each wheel cylinder one good burp to remove any water that may have collected in the very bottom of the system. DOT 5 and water tend to separate like water and oil do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: