Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

Anybody ever run into this... I'm trying to install a SACO hydraulic clutch kit into my '68 Ghia race car.

The center tunnel has a depression in the area where the pedals mount to allow for the original accelerator cable that is causing a problem. When trying to bolt up the SACO mounting bracket, that depression is in the way causing the bracket to angle into the tunnel, no longer flush with the tunnel side. It will not bolt up like that.

The MC bracket appears to be too wide. If it were about 1" narrower it might bolt up. Since it's aluminum I think I can cut it down and make it work, but I wanted to check first to see if anyone has had an issue like this? It was an expensive kit and I find it hard to believe that SACO's design is this far off.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

Have you considered placing a few washers behind the mounting plate to space it away from the side of the tunnel?

It's been so long since I installed and last ran my Saco hydraulic clutch, though your issue seems vaguely familiar.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

An update to my original post...

This kit is a major pain in the ass. I ended up cutting a section of the top of the mounting bracket to clear the tunnel depression.

It takes 2 people to install this kit. I tried for hours by myself and could not do it. You need 3 hands. 1 to hold the pedal cluster up to the tunnel. 1 to hold up the mounting bracket inside the tunnel, and 1 to start a bolt. Like trying to herd cats. Pedals flopping around all the time etc... Lots of colorful metaphors flying about all laying on your chest up at the tunnel.

Anyway, got it installed and the master cyl in the tunnel was dripping fluid, so out it had to come. Buy and install a replacement. Reinstall in the tunnel, not fun. No longer dripping.

After a quart of brake fluid, I have a pedal, but it will only go fully down once, the second time you press the pedal, it only goes down 1/2 way. Bleeding the slave will allow the pedal to fully depress. Bad slave cylinder. I have a new rebuilt spare I was saving so in it goes. It seems to be working now. I have a pedal finally.

The only thing I used from this kit was the mounting bracket and the hose. Replace both cylinders that came with the kit. If I had to do over, and I may still do it, I'd just put a set of new CNC pedals in it and be done, but I'd have no leg room.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

Was the original SACO kit new or used? I ask because you said you replaced the master cylinder AND the slave cylinder with new parts. If the kit had been new, I would have been on the phone with SACO about that.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

Those are also known to have a burr thrown up into the bore where they drill the transfer ports.
You might have to touch the bore with a hone to keep the burr from hurting the O-ring.

What’s That Noise?!?
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Was the original SACO kit new or used? I ask because you said you replaced the master cylinder AND the slave cylinder with new parts. If the kit had been new, I would have been on the phone with SACO about that.

Yep - brand new right off the card. Normally I would have been on the phone and I still might to get replacement parts, but when you're in the heat of trying to get something to work - I didn't pick up the phone. Didn't want to wait a week or two for replacements.

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saco hydraulic clutch Install in Ghia Issue Reply with quote

I went through the same exact nightmare a few years back with this kit. I spent a few evenings rebuilding the bracket so it would fit, only to find out the master itself had a sliced o-ring. My kit was also brand new, but came with a basket case project car.

I ended up using only the braided line to the slave. I made a new laser cut bracket to mount a willwood master in its place. Much easier, quality parts, correct pushrod angles, and it still uses the original clutch hook setup.

The Saco kit is complete garbage. Poorly designed, and poorly machined.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: