Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
. This is the state that they take the risk of letting the homes burn rather than endanger the salmon, smelt, or salamanders. .
Not true Steve. No one has complained about lack of water for firefighting. Your farmers, however, would rather run the rivers dry to grow their almonds.

Last edited by tommu on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
So are collapsible batons. I was told by a police officer if I was caught with one it would be a felony but if I was caught with a gun it would only be a misdemeanor. Go figure!

Hello, That is very true...
That's why I travel with the 1911 locked and loaded. I'll take the misdemeanor any day... Oh, plus having the CCW helps.... I hate going too the cities anyway; way to much crime and stupid people in them.
It's best to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it... You can't always rely on a LEO being there, when you need them the most.
Yet, that's just me and I'm way off the topic.... But, you are correct; Ca. does have some stupid laws on the books....
Oh, I also live in a no smog county. So, no bi-annual smog checks here... at least for now...

no smog checks in many of the NW counties but one still has to pass smog to register it. The law was a rolling 25 year exemption until the dems forced him to change that around 2008-09. The BS thing is that we've been subject to more pollutants with fires the last five or six years than any old cars would have made. And the size of these fires was preventable if the people at the top weren't focused on frauding us on water tunnels and bullet trains. All that said I do hope the OP gets his bus and that he is able to enjoy it.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
SGKent wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:
Ok someone correct me if my thinking is wrong but couldn't he do the Vermont route and at least have plates on the bus so he can enjoy driving it while he collects the necessary parts needed to get it registered in CA. Worst case is after a year he could sell it to someone in Buckeye AZ. Very Happy

know those CHP that cruise the lanes when traffic is slow, and they are looking at plates? They are looking for out of state plates and expired tags, both, because when they find someone coming home from work with an out of state tag it is an automatic trip to the judge to explain why one did not change the license to California per DMX law. You have to remember that you are dealing with Mother may I California here. This is the state that they take the risk of letting the homes burn rather than endanger the salmon, smelt, or salamanders. Jerry and his buddies just passed a law recently allowing how much water you can use taking a shower before you get a ticket. They just haven't figured how to issue the tickets yet.

Out of state plates are illegal in California? Who knew?

No one. It’s CA residents using a false residence to skirt their state laws that’s illegal, not the out of state plates.

Locked and loaded is a felony in my state by the way. Not recommended.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

If y’all spent as much time driving your buses as y’all do whining about politics you’d all be in a better mood. Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
If y’all spent as much time driving your buses as y’all do whining about politics you’d all be in a better mood. Laughing

Robbie

it was 106F here today Robbie. The morning was spent doing yard work because it is the first only semi-smoky day with partially blue skies in a month. Like you are allergic to certain things I am too but mine is poison oak etc and the molecules are in the smoke from the burning.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

Any updates on the purchase?

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

If y'all wanna keep with the redneck theme, the correct term would be "all y'all'd". Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

Touché Kent!

I met with dstimm at the Pomona Swap Meet and chatted at him for a few hours regarding Type 4 health assessments, (performed a compression test on a ‘76 to model how it was done,) and he should be getting some better information on the engine this week.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jb916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

@Dstimm

Thank you for posting this thread. My wife and I recently acquired a 1979 California bus and the information provided by everyone in this thread has been amazingly helpful. I noticed there wasn't an update to this since 2018 so im curious as to how everything went, did you purchase the bus? If so, how was the project?

Ill be posting some of my questions and photos to this thread as well, if that's ok with everyone. There is a lot of valuable info and links in here & it would be great to keep this one going for all us California smog bus owners!

I am in the process of trying to get the motor running, and then dealing with passing smog after. My main questions is...if some of the smog parts are missing or disconnected or bad, will I even be able to get the bus to start?

Thanks again for all the great info and I look forward to getting more and getting this bus running!

P.s. That M-plate decoder site is awesome!

This is Iris
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the awesome California Smog sticker

Here is the Engine code

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

Hey JB...
Welcome to the Empty Wallet Club! Laughing

You may want to start your own Samba thread with Iris. It will help you in the future since it will document your journey into getting her running.

And take a look at williamM's comment below. It's pretty darn accurate.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Smogging a 1979 out of state Westfalia in California. Reply with quote

welcome. Start your own thread and post your questions. That is a 1979 California FI bus and will have to have everything working including the catalytic converter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: