Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't upload .HEIC images
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

I just got myself a fancy new iPhone XS and tried to upload some pictures I took with it but I wasn't successful. I shared the pics to my laptop and then tried to upload them from there. The upload sequence goes normally but as soon as I click "Submit", it goes right to the general gallery page I was uploading to but my images aren't there. They aren't in "My Photos" either. I then noticed all my pics are .HEIC and not .JPG. I found an online converter from .HEIC to .JPG and successfully uploaded my pics.

I imagine that as others upgrade to the latest phones, they'll have this issue as well unless/until The Samba accepts the new image format. The conversion site I used without issue or incident was:

https://heictojpg.online/

Just thought I'd put this out there....

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

https://fileinfo.com/extension/heic

Quote:
If you do not want iOS to save images in the HEIF format, open your "Settings" app, and select Camera → Formats → Most Compatible. Selecting Most Compatible means that iOS will now save images in the JPEG format.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://fileinfo.com/extension/heic

Quote:
If you do not want iOS to save images in the HEIF format, open your "Settings" app, and select Camera → Formats → Most Compatible. Selecting Most Compatible means that iOS will now save images in the JPEG format.

Interesting......not an issue on my 7 plus. I guess I'll make the change.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

Goddam software engineers... can't leave well enough alone. They never met a "standard" they can't wait to make obsolete and replace with yet another "standard", and another, and another...

Automakers used to be criticized for their "change for the sake of change" mentality, but today SW engineers have 'em beat.

Incidentally, back in the day, we bought VWs partially to avoid that "changed" mentality...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

Thanks to the people above for the info and the solution
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Goddam software engineers... can't leave well enough alone. They never met a "standard" they can't wait to make obsolete and replace with yet another "standard", and another, and another...

i am going to stand up for standards and software engineers.

standards are things like protocols, think of TCP/IP. LPR, JPEG, PDF, etc

software implements those standards, makes user interfaces, etc.

requirements change all the time, think security, encryption, image resolution, etc Nobody wants to maintain 20-year-old code.

JPEG standard is still there, as are many popular standards that are 20-30 years old. Apple thinks they can make a better mousetrap. let's see how it goes, proof is in the pudding.

I am in the printer industry, PCL, Postscript, PDF, LPR, Socket 9100, Telnet, etc same thing it was 20 years ago, but those same printers now need to interface directly with iPhone, Android, bluetooth, etc. just to make things more convenient, more secure, etc.

software HAS to change, standards do not, they really do not.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't upload .HEIC images Reply with quote

I agree about standards being desirable, but when they get too many alternate standards (like for images), is there really a standard anymore?

Phone memory is cheap. Forcing us to use a new app to convert, instead of sticking with JPEG, seems like a user-hostile approach to take.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: