Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Tray Replacement for a 71
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

In going over the parts I've purchased over the last year or so I have found that the battery tray I have does not seem to match my needs (early tray/late car?).

Does anyone know of a source for new 71 battery tray sheet metal?

Thanks

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

Speak to GAB FAB https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1157244

These are for earlier Ghia's. He might make them for later models.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2163191
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VWTortuga336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

I've got a solid complete engine compartment that I just took out of my '71. I'll PM you.
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

I think that for the most part anybody on here who is willing to put the extensive time and effort into fabbing up parts like these would never justify spending the money on buying the part from a fabricator. CIP1 has these battery trays too at a similar price point. I wish somebody would post a DIY thread about making these battery trays from scratch and installing them for those of us who like to tinker ourselves to no end. Replacing these seems like a huge common project. I have seen pictures from other posters that show repairs, but not a fab up and replacement from a flat sheet o metal.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

The problem with most used Ghias that are being parted out is that they will suffer some corrosion of the battery tray from the acid leaking out the top cells and running down the side of the battery onto the metal. You may get lucky and find one being advertised that really does not have much corrosion, or surface corrosion only which can be much better than the rot-through holes in your own Ghia.

If you intend to use the fab panel made for early Ghias (thru 12/1963) on your '71, the depression would be hidden by the battery since you would normally position the battery on the left side of the engine on a '71. If you intend to use dual carburetors, moving the battery to under the right side of the rear seat would then expose the bare patch panel with its differently sized depression from that on the right side. And you'd have to cleanly remove the metal air cleaner pedestal from the right side also.

The left side of the engine compartment contained the battery from '66 on. Best of my knowledge, the rectangular depression under the battery is the same size from mid '64 model year thru end of production. Here's a shot of my late '64's area. The battery was still positioned on the right side of the engine in that year, along with the hook for the battery retaining strap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If the rectangular shape truly is the same size in later years, it might be worth a try to cut a thick piece of plywood, say 1", the exact shape of the depression including the rounded corners. Clamp the plywood onto the new flat stock if starting from scratch, then with a bench vise press the block against the flat stock so that you form a similar depression. It's less than 1/8" deep. Then weld on a Beetle-style hold down hook from a generic Beetle battery tray patch panel, or transfer the one from your Ghia if its usable.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

Well, I did purchase replacement sheet metal 6+ months ago, but now looking to "fit" it, it appears to be off by too much to proceed (I assume older Ghia tray is what I bought). I have a little less than an inch gap between the tray and the fender well.

The battery is being relocated to under the rear seat so not worried about the tray indentation as I will be dressing up the compartment with: 1) Aluminum, 2) Stainless Steel, 3) Chromed Sheet Metal, 4) something else pretty.

Most concerned about getting orginal fit. I'm replacing the rear portion of the engine compartment and the outside apron. Both lower rear fenders and under the tail lights. All this needs to fit together, hence my concern. I guess I can fab one from sheet metal since it will be covered with "something pretty" anyway.

I just wish someone made a replacement piece! I like NEW metal.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Replacement for a 71 Reply with quote

On I used the "wrong year" replacement piece on my 68, I bought it out at Pomona before I knew different year required different part. As you can see in the pic, I added that 1 inch or so up against the inside wheel well. Almost not noticeable...after the fact. Sorry, best pic I had.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: