Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 ict single port manifolds
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Pancake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

I've bought a weber 34 ict kit from cb. It only exists for dual port engines, but wanted to try putting the carbs on my single port solex pdsit manifolds.
The probl;em is i can't fit the driver's side carb because the accelerator pump hits the engine in around the oil cooler.

I've seen there are empi single port manifold for 34 ict, does anyone have experience with those? Do they give a better clearance for the carbs?

thanks for the help
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Mr_Pancake wrote:
I've bought a weber 34 ict kit from cb. It only exists for dual port engines, but wanted to try putting the carbs on my single port solex pdsit manifolds.
The probl;em is i can't fit the driver's side carb because the accelerator pump hits the engine in around the oil cooler.

I've seen there are empi single port manifold for 34 ict, does anyone have experience with those? Do they give a better clearance for the carbs?

thanks for the help

I really don't know, as all I've ever used the ICT 34s on were dual port type 3s. You'd have to make sure the single port ICT manifold IS for a type 3, otherwise it'll be too tall to fit under the floor hatch. Just something to think about.
I don't know if you turned both carbs around, if you'd have a clearance issue with the accelerator pump linkage on the right side or not. Like I said I've never used them with single port t-3 engines.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

How much does it hit? If not much, you may be able to slot the mounting holes to give a little room. Also, if the clearance to the engine lid will allow, you might try a phenolic spacer under the carbs.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

I was wondering if they were the same as well. Everything I’ve ever seen have been dual port for the type 3. On my car the drivers side i had clearance issues at the nipple for the balance tube. I ended up cutting the nipple and welding it back on without as much of an angle up and I have had no issues with it. I can’t remember but I believe I had to dimple the tin a bit in another spot for clearance. I tried swapping them around like bobnotch suggested and it didn’t make it any better.
Mr_Pancake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

The balance tube would have had clearance issues too. And the cb is too wide to fit between the carbs.

I've ordered the single port ict manifolds from empi to try.
It's hard to see on the pictures, but it looks like the ict manifold will give better clearance.
Still need to try on the car, will try to update on how it fits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr_Pancake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Here's a comparison of the original vs the mph single port manifolds installed.
The empi's have a better clearance (around 1 centimeter more)

Mr_Pancake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Here they are installed.
There's no room for the air filter tops.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Mr_Pancake wrote:
Here they are installed.

Those you have to get creative on getting them in place. It's a tight squeeze even with dual port manifolds.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

I have a 66 SB that is single port with dual 34 ict's. I'm trying to add a balance tube but after further inspection noticed that the ports on the intake manifolds are just one big 5/8"ish hole that is none threaded. I pulled rubber corks out and tried to slip a hose over the port but the accelerator pump on the driver side takes up any space/clearance I would have to do so. Anyone else ran into this?

My only solution from what I can see thus far is pulling the manifolds off and brazing/welding an angle barb fitting onto the manifolds.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mr_Pancake wrote:
Here they are installed.

Those you have to get creative on getting them in place. It's a tight squeeze even with dual port manifolds.

I have to bend the filter over to get the filter top on with my dells, and then use screws to hold the tops on, not the studs and wingnuts.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

BoogPBR wrote:
I have a 66 SB that is single port with dual 34 ict's. I'm trying to add a balance tube but after further inspection noticed that the ports on the intake manifolds are just one big 5/8"ish hole that is none threaded. I pulled rubber corks out and tried to slip a hose over the port but the accelerator pump on the driver side takes up any space/clearance I would have to do so. Anyone else ran into this?

My only solution from what I can see thus far is pulling the manifolds off and brazing/welding an angle barb fitting onto the manifolds.

Have a pic of your setup? Seems like you are using stock manifolds. It you use the 1/4” phenolic spacers it should give you enough room, but you may have air filter fitment issues after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerry1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

the single port manifold you installed is for type 1 engine application. None was made for type 3. Only dual port manifold for type 3 by cbperformance. You can confirm this from cbperf website. sorry,,,
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mr_Pancake wrote:
Here they are installed.

I have to bend the filter over to get the filter top on with my dells, and then use screws to hold the tops on, not the studs and wingnuts.

Yup, I've had to do that with brand new Weber ICTs on dual port intakes, because the studs would get in the way of the filter element.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Anyone know what kind of manifolds these are?

Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Those are stock manifolds. The balance tube you seek is #18

https://vwispwest.com/type3/engine/dual-carb/linkage-air-cleaner-balance-tube-manifold/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Much appreciated. I'd be surprised if there was enough room with the webers on there to clear the accel pump linkage on the driver side. Much appreciated though!
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 34 ict single port manifolds Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: