Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 VW scirocco rear shock absorbers
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benbear1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: 1980 VW scirocco rear shock absorbers Reply with quote

I have a 1980 Scirocco. Completely stock,all original. Looking to buy a good quality set of shock absorbers. Any recommendations? preferably for a little better handling. thank you
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 VW scirocco rear shock absorbers Reply with quote

Bilstein HD or Sport. Don't bother with the "touring", they're just OE replacement level.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 VW scirocco rear shock absorbers Reply with quote

I would firm the front and leave the rears stock. Unless you want the rear jumping over every crack and bump.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 VW scirocco rear shock absorbers Reply with quote

sport shocks are actually a little shorter

Maybe way off from what you're looking to do but,
This is what I did to my 81, I only did the rear spacers for heavy loading. It lifted and firmed it all the way around with just regular shocks. Without the spacers it would sit pretty level, but the front spings fit up to cabriolets so the front has some lift from that.

New shocks and the springs, the whole thing cost less than $200 including the cheap spring compressor from HF, The shocks were rockauto closeout deals.
I got ACDELCO 45H1090 front springs. They were harder to compress than the old ones but spring compressor managed to reach. Front strut mounts with 3M windoweld have way less drop/flex.
on the rear I put MOOG CC201 springs and put spacers under the spring perches
The dia of the shock is a an odd size so it's hard to find a pipe that fits perfect. I had some 2" OD thick walled pipe so I used that. It was loose to fit so I cut out a slit with a grinder until it closed to the right size, then welded it.

The spacers were just a little over 2" tall

S1uv
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, everything sits lower with weight in the car. Handling feels nice loaded or not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: