Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Shifter Parts Issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
80_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

I have a 1980 Vanagon that has always had a very rough shifting experience. Recently, I seem to have pulled the rear shaft all the way off the guide pin. Drove it into the driveway in 2nd, and jacked it up. Now looking at it, it seems like I could be in the market for a lot of parts. I realize that I have a type 091 transmission, the early 4-speed. Not the 091-1, which has parts generally available.

I ordered the front selection "ears" from GoWesty, but I am at a loss in finding the other items I would like to replace (all of it, really). The PO seems like they just gave up on the center bushing and made a field-expedient version out of a yoga mat and a zip tie.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I would like to replace all the boots and and bushings. Are there sources still?

Or should I just get a used 14mm diameter 091-1 style 4 speed linkage? Has anyone upgraded this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

This is the only place I was able to find parts for the early shifter:

https://www.vanagain.com/categories/80-83-air-cooled-vanagon

(No affiliation but good on him for keeping the early style alive!)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

this is not the location for the 80-83 front bushing.. it's buried up over the fuel tank. and it's obviously gone that's why your shift cup at the transmission shift balls is drooping down too low..
it's a wonder your finding any gears at all

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
80_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

Consensus: ordered from Van-Again. Spoke to Ken Wilford and he said that he had had 4 orders for early Vanagon shifter parts already in that past day or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alpinweiss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

80_Westy wrote:
Consensus: ordered from Van-Again. Spoke to Ken Wilford and he said that he had had 4 orders for early Vanagon shifter parts already in that past day or two.

Van-Again is where I got the linkage parts for my 1981 Vanagon air cooled. This includes the relay rod. I did not find another source.
2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
dave91107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Shifter Parts Issue Reply with quote

The bushing at the bottom of the picture (over the gas tank) is the main failure point. The next is the balls at the trans.

bushing at the bottom of the picture (over the gas tank) :
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-bus-vanagon-shifter-bushing-kit-1498.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/251711219.html?utm_c...uYQAvD_BwE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: