Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Cabinet Organizer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

While camping, I thought an organizer for the "wasted" space behind the rear cabinet would be nice. Got back home and looked at the GW one and almost heaved my plastic when I saw the $275 price Shocked d'oh!

What else is out there? What have others done for MLM? (MLM = Much less Money)

Question Idea
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

I thought about that organizer a lot. It just seems that advertising tools out the back hatch are inviting theft.

My gf has something like this she puts her girl junk in. You could put some holes in the corners and use command hooks. You could pay a leather worker to make you something better if you give them a paper template. I am sure it would be a lot less than 275 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Toiletry-Cosmetic...essory+bag
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

I haven't seen the GW item but sounds like the one offered by VanCafe:

http://www.vancafe.com/Westy-Bravo-p/westybravo.htm?mc_cid=c42a09abee&mc_eid=cfa29f20de

I pondered that for a few minutes but was concerned aboout trying to squeeze that much stuff (including hard stuff and sharp stuff) between the cabinet and the hatch with the curtain in there too.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Those organizers aren't for me. I don't see the need to hang everything out in the open. I prefer the non cluttered look and hidden storage.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

My curtain blocks part of that area. Flaps could block the rest of it.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

That thing would cover up all of my cool stickers. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Besides, most of the work done on my Vanagons is underneath. I could see myself having to get up and walk to the back to get the wrench I forgot when I can much more easily have my tools next to me on the ground in a bag.

It's definitely a creative use of the space and I can see its value, but it also reminds me of my neighbor's garage pegboard arrangement with all of his shiny, perfect, never-used tools.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
That thing would cover up all of my cool stickers. Smile

looks like you are brewing beer with that vanagon!

putting tools in a fancy holder makes it a PITA if you have to uncrawl from underneath to get the 14mm wrench, then realize you need vise grips, and then realize you need the 12mm wrench. lots of moving around - tool boxes are a thing for a reason. even the roll up pouches for wrenches gets them all within reach when waist deep underneath.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I haven't seen the GW item but sounds like the one offered by VanCafe:

http://www.vancafe.com/Westy-Bravo-p/westybravo.htm?mc_cid=c42a09abee&mc_eid=cfa29f20de

I pondered that for a few minutes but was concerned aboout trying to squeeze that much stuff (including hard stuff and sharp stuff) between the cabinet and the hatch with the curtain in there too.

I have the Bravo and now that I have it full of tools and such, there is no issue with the curtain or closing the hatch.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Oh my gahwd I love it! You just got a pencil in there Laughing
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

looks like you are brewing beer with that vanagon!

Boiling Crawfish! Twisted Evil

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
While camping, I thought an organizer for the "wasted" space behind the rear cabinet would be nice. Got back home and looked at the GW one and almost heaved my plastic when I saw the $275 price Shocked d'oh!

What else is out there? What have others done for MLM? (MLM = Much less Money)

Question Idea

The best solution I’ve seen is securing a hatchet and a few other tools there using Quick Fist clamps. There’s a thread here showing that...or at least a photo...

I love the spirit of the Bravo product (community members building a custom designed product that supports craftspeople in Mexico, etc.j but the aesthetic of heavy tooled leather is at severe conflict with the rest of a Westy (in my little mind). I hope they keep bringing new products to us - I’m sure one will resonate with me.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Here’s very MLM Very Happy ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612022

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

I might cut up a cheap Bucket Boss product and use that.

How is the GW Leather Bravo attached? Do you drill holes for it?
Xerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

For that price, I hope it's made of "rich corinthian leather"
Phoxxanator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Xerox wrote:

Someone parked a gorgeous La Barron next to my office yesterday, and I asked how the RCL was holding up (with the accent, of course).
They did not get the reference, and gave me weird looks as I went inside.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Xerox wrote:

"...and you wouldn't believe how many rich Corinthians it takes to make just one of these."

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

To me, that organizer might go well if fastened to the back side of the front passenger seat.

Craig
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

I already have a brown/tan canvas thing behind the F. pass. seat...

But what do you do when you open the rear hatch? Things often used then could be stored there (and, no, they don't all have to be tools to fix the wretched POS that VW created...)

- An LED light

- hatchet; saw; etc.

- The hatch extender piece

- what else?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
I already have a brown/tan canvas thing behind the F. pass. seat...

But what do you do when you open the rear hatch? Things often used then could be stored there (and, no, they don't all have to be tools to fix the wretched POS that VW created...)

- An LED light

- hatchet; saw; etc.

- what else?

One or two pairs of disposable nitrile gloves
    Paper towels
    Old toothbrush (for the murky engine component you're trying to inspect, not you Surprised)

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Cabinet Organizer Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Freakin’ brilliant. I’m always looking for that hatch extender device. I’ve put it in the shelf above but it tends to get lost. Put two dots of adhesive Velcro on it and two dots on the cabinet and there it is right where it’s needed.

The samba has served its purpose for me today.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: