Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Franz Xaver Reimspiess made the blueprint?
COOL! I never read that, but it makes perfect sense.
I always figured that....Dr. Porsche being a old seasoned engineer at that point, with a lot of hands-on work, he would consider the engine too complex to repair and too expensive to produce because of SO many components. Same problems we have today! But efforts to designing a cheap simple engine...the results were not satisfactory, so they ended up having to figure out how to make a fairly complex engine cheaply....with mass production. And they sure did.

So HE's the guy to blame for using DOWELs to affix the flywheel!
That's bad karma Razz for eternity

I'd say 50% of the engine blocks I work on are chevy small blocks. chevy small block guys are very regular guys,

50% of the air cooled small engines are VW. Vw guys tend to be intelligent weirdos.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Vw guys tend to be intelligent weirdos.

Ok - now, should we be insulted... or flattered? Confused
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

I'd rather be a mopar guy, you know, if I could choose.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Modok from the above statistics you have a 50/ 50 change of being an intelligent weirdo or Mopar guy.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Yeah but you can't choose!
Nature, nurture, or DNA?? The will of God?
I don't know, but....people just are what they are.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

God could care less what I drive so that leaves nature and nurture because DNA was not invented yet when I was conceived. Wink

If I had a choice it would be Pitt Specials or maybe an Extra 300 or even an Ultimate Bipe. I should have been born rich instead of so darn good looking!
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

i am quitting volkswagen (again!) as soon as i finish this one and going back to mopar. i have seriously grown to hate these little cars. built to the lowest price point and so .... i'll stop there. Rolling Eyes

i'll probably keep coming back to the samba though because it is very entertaining. Very Happy

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

AC509 I tried a few times to quit, being Sicilian, I can tell you it is like the Mafia, once you are in, you can't quit.

Maybea medical term is a better example " Wash you hands, or you may get a BUG".

You may think you got rid of it, but it sits and waits till your immune system gets weak and sure enough you get the BUG again !!!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

isn't that the truth!!! i talk a big line of do-do, but i am mostly just moody. haha. maybe tomorrow i will love this car again.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Up to 1978 it was bugs. The Cold in NY turned me off from bugs, getting up at 6:00 into a freezing Bug and driving in Manhattan that can take between 35mins to 2 1/2 hours, ha. I needed to be comfortable. Drove Rabbits, Gas and Diesel and my fun car was a 914. Till my wife found a 73 bug for $250 and bought it for me. Then came the T-4 engine I put in the car and here I am now.

Seeing the bug is my toy, it does not have a heating system.

My daily driver is a 2008 Toyota Solara Coupe with 170,000 miles. Big, warm and with A/C.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Been there done that and air cooled VWs will never be a daily driver for me again! They are not practical for year around use in this country anymore. Just too many better options but I still love to tinker with them and they have such a unique personality.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

I have had my VW for so long,
We’re like an old couple who has hallway sex.

Google it if you don’t already know..

What’s That Noise?!?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

omg you just made me realize that after over 40 years of owning a vw repair shop i sold my last air cooled daily driver in 1975....and it wasnt stock....and at that time i thought anyone that was happy driving around in an unmodified bug had to be nuts...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

Clatter, first , you are in Calif. and have no idea what it is, uncover your bug from a foot of snow with temps way below freezing and no heat.

I had to Google for your Hallway Sex and have to agree, I know what mean.

ON 40 plus year old cars, bad things keep happening, plus the high maintenance of our cars vs modern cars.

I go from " this freaking bug is becoming a burden" Till I drive it and " Now I know why I love this Car"
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

sold the 71 little over a year ago.. it just became too much to try to keep it daily driver status. I drive my 87 El Camino daily now.. oil changes.. check the tire pressure now and then and it just drives...
of course just like vws... cant leave well enough alone so we'll see how long that lasts.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

hard to decipher whether or not some of you daily drive an acvw because you have to.. or because you want to. Maybe both? /shrug

While they can be to an extent. It's hard to consider them a reliable commuter car by today's standards.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

I'm not a "practical commuter human" nor do I really want to be one, although, If I HAD to, I probably would.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

I tend to cycle every few years between vw’s and normal stuff. Went from a turbo 67 beetle, then a LS swap in a rx7, then 79 bronco, now back to a ghia. Among other cheapish hobby cars. Every time I swear I’ll keep this one Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

The days of the daily driven VW have been over here for decades. I was likely one of the last with our Bus back in the mid '80s. Too much salt slop, too hard to find parts and folks drive too many miles in a year now. You can't even find the carcases in the auto wreckers any more.

They have hobby car status here right beside the Model T, Packard and the Edsel!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: can we consider the vw aircooled engine the most modified Reply with quote

I put every possible effort into creating a commute free working life. It was number one on my list. So I never had a commuter car other than Golf TDi for a few years for long work trips. I even used my bus to survey possible telecom sites (mobile phones) if it was under 300 miles round trip. Some of the sites were properly off road. How my fellow engineers laughed until they realised compared to there 4x4s I had more ground clearance, less width, a table to write up notes in the rain and the coffee pot on the stove while they were steamed up, jammed behind the wheel using passenger seat for a desk and drinking bottled water. Smile

Retired now and I still have just the bus. It's not mpg efficient but I like the noise the engine makes and the un-cacooned (and I think more realistic to the dangers) driving experience compared to a modern car. And I can fix everything which I like. Not that I particularly like fixing it, I just don't trust anyone else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: